Find
Notify
Tools

Leon Duplessis
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
Yesterday, I heard that Leon Duplessis was shot through the ankle by a client.

It appears the bullet missed the main bones and the surgery in Jo'berg went ok. A picture revealed a grizzly wound. I have no other details.

Hopefully there will be some good news today. We wish him a speedy recovery and will keep Leon in our prayers.

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
I hate to hear that.

Hope he is ok

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Leon from SA or Zim ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I was told Mike Payne's partner on the Save.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt u:
I hate to hear that.

Hope he is ok

Absolutely right!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
That is very sad and aggravating news.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a crying shame. I hope he mends quickly with no ill side effects.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
We know Leon and Family quite well, and are in coms with the PH who attended the scene - Adrian - to administer first aid. Apparently an AD (.375 Barnes TSX) as the client was raising the weapon for a follow-up shot on a wildebeest went through Leon’s ankle. I have just called and spoken to Leon in hospital (Milpark, Johannesburg, which is known for treating gun-shot wounds) in South Africa, and apart from feeling a bit high from the meds and surgery today, is the same old “Two-Plus-Three”. He says his cameraman Andy Buchanan and the client, who is a surgeon, were absolutely fantastic at the scene. Although they stopped the bleeding and made Dup comfortable, it was seven hours before Leon had his first pain killer - at the hospital in Mutare where they stabalised him before transport to Harare. Leon says “MARS - Medical Air Rescue - and ACE (ACE Air Ambulance Zimbabwe) were amazing in their reaction and treatment, getting me to Harare and then to South Africa quickly and almost painlessly”.

Adrian Olivier - the attending PH - who had to cut a road into the remote area where Leon was, comments that Leon was in good spirits when he arrived, evidenced by his humour at the scene. Apparently, he had a lion tattoo on his ankle... which after the shot, was obliterated. He told them (while being treated) to stop messing around and “Find my lion!”.

Judy’s initial reports on FB from RSA said “Just to update you - there was an accidental discharge and Leon was shot in his right ankle. Thankfully it did not hit any bone, mostly tissue damage. Looking at a long recovery, but we are in the best place for treatment and the prognosis is good. Thank you to all that have helped in every way possible in getting us here, and for all your prayers.” She reiterates their positive spirits saying “He has lost his school lion paw tattoo from his ankle - will have to get a new one.”

His condition is stable and positive at the moment, as she says “Leon hooked up to all sorts of things! They are definitely not taking any chances - All is well, we had a quiet day. Second surgery tomorrow and we will know a little more.” That was today, and Leon says although they do not know the extent of long-term tissue and nerve damage yet, the immediate mission is to stimulate tissue re-growth to fill the cavity left by the bullet (picture attached with Leon’s permission).

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ant

I have been in touch with Leon and just got off the phone with him.

He is in good spirits.

He did go 7 hrs without pain killers so you know he is a tough SOB.

I also told him he is now the perfect PH for me. Slightly overweight white guy with 2 whacky ankles. When we hunt next year I may be able to out run him.

He will do fine and as he said "sh*tty luck is better than no luck." No bone was damaged.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Met Leon a few years back at a brai in the Save at Chisakwe ranch. Genuinely nice guy. Wish him the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speedy recovery Leon!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
He and his client were nice enough to give this stranger a lift from the airport to Avondale a few years back. Nice guy who I hope finds himself on the mend quickly!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That just don't look fun at all! Damn shocker

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
'sh*tty luck is better than no luck"

What a guy,so positive,my hat's of to you Leon,cheers all the best mate.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank God the bullet didn't hit a vital spot. Not saying this incident is good luck, but perhaps better than any other alternative.

Hope you mend well and quickly!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hope he mends fine and glad it was not worse.

[My prediction . . . Trax will show up within the next twelve hours to share his special insights . . . thumbdown]

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Once again, a painful reminder to us all that it is OUR responsibility to handle our firearms safely!

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery for Mr. Dupleiss!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Ant.

Prayers for a full recovery.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! I coulda' gone all day without seeing that picture!

Tough SOB for sure!

Again, wishes for a speedy and thorough recovery.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
All the best to Leon and his family - you remain in our thoughts and prayers. You need to heal well enough to come quail hunting with Ken and me in Virginia between shows next year!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks, at least, like it missed both the bone and the Achilles tendon. Wow, that is good fortune indeed.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the best for a speedy and full recovery

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Judy du Plessis (Leon's wife) and the rest of the management team at Save Safaris requested that I post the following:

quote:
“Just to let you all know Leon is doing well. He was in an accidental shooting on Sat evening. He was evacuated to Johannesburg where there is a very good medical facility very well equipt for dealing with this. Thankfully he has no bone or tendon damage. The tissue damage is extensive as you would expect from the shockwave of a .375. He is doing well, had his second operation today, and things are progressing slowly. Thank you to all involved in getting Leon to Hospital, and for all the messages and prayers for our family. Happy hunting - Stay Safe!”

Much Thanks.

My families prayers to all involved for a speedy recovery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

[My prediction . . . Trax will show up within the next twelve hours to share his special insights . . . thumbdown]

Don't be mean to Trax - you know he can only troll when the Sydney Public Library is open and he has access to the internet.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Judy du Plessis (Leon's wife) and the rest of the management team at Save Safaris requested that I post the following:

quote:
“Just to let you all know Leon is doing well. He was in an accidental shooting on Sat evening. He was evacuated to Johannesburg where there is a very good medical facility very well equipt for dealing with this. Thankfully he has no bone or tendon damage. The tissue damage is extensive as you would expect from the shockwave of a .375. He is doing well, had his second operation today, and things are progressing slowly. Thank you to all involved in getting Leon to Hospital, and for all the messages and prayers for our family. Happy hunting - Stay Safe!”

Much Thanks.

My families prayers to all involved for a speedy recovery.

+1

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wish Leon the best for a speedy recovery! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope he mends well and recovers quickly.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a speedy recovery as well!

Posts: 11025 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
God speed recovery Leon. Prayers sent. Nigel Theisen sent me that pic and the news a few days ago...damn...that had to smart. Damn tough man!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Bet his Courtenays have seen better days. Eeker
Awfull wound but as per above could easy have been disastrous

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's too good a man gor that to put him out of action. This seadon he's out but will bet he'l be at SCI trying to claim the Crown of 'most pollitically incorrect operator.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
He's too good a man gor that to put him out of action. This seadon he's out but will bet he'l be at SCI trying to claim the Crown of 'most pollitically incorrect operator.

He sounds like my kind of guy!

Wish him all the best, but I doubt he will anything from the zombies running SCI!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Don't be mean to Trax - you know he can only troll when the Sydney Public Library is open and he has access to the internet.

Mike

rotflmo

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another case of someone who was and is totally unsafe with a gun. This poor guy is going to suffer for the remainder of his life because some greedy character did not practice gun safety.

This to be called another accident. The gun pointed itself at this gentleman and went off all by itself.

Oh, the shooter feels sorry, absolutely; the all do. Look at our last hero. Mr. TV Star. That victim is still suffering. Was the chance at this animal worth the pain and damage inflicted. The shooter should be arrested and tried.

Oh, as always there shall be great proclamations of sorrow, remorse and the promise to always help. See how long that lasts.

Never point a bloody gun at anything you do not wish to shoot. Accidents of this nature do not happen. It is the greedy moron who pulls the trigger. An accident is when the sear breaks and the bullet flys off into space and no one is hurt

The shooter is nothing but a greedy jerk with no conception of gun safety. That is unless the victim ran in front of the gun as our Elmer Fudd was pulling the trigger.

There is no excuse for improper gun safety! It is not an accident, it is an unintentional criminal act. One is guilty of a crime through an act of omission or commission.

Let the Courts settle this but it still will NEVER EVER make this poor gentleman whole again or recoup his losses.

It makes no difference if the shooter is Dr. Spock or one of the Bros from Ferguson, it was a dangerous stupid greedy unsafe act!

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You use the term "greedy" three times to describe this accident. Please explain exactly how any concept akin to greed relates to this situation? Also, do you believe that every car accident is an unintentional criminal act that should be resolved in the courts?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Wishing you a Speedy Recovery my friend--

BTW---for the Admins here--

THE ANTI'S are on this already and linking to AR

https://www.facebook.com/WeWil...SilencedAboutHunters

We Will Not Be Silenced about Hunters
September 11 at 12:17pm · Edited ·
On September 9 2015 Leon duPlessis was shot through the ankle by a client.
. A picture revealed a grizzly wound. We think it is a graphic photo so have not posted it (it is on the forum however - please note we do not know if the man pictured in our FB post is HIM, it is the image that comes up from that website - if I recall correctly Leon is somewhat younger! )
Perhaps Leon will not only think about what a lucky escape he had, but about how painful HIS bullets are to animals. see here to read more (and see more ) see here: (click link) -( Thanks Richard for alerting us)
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/2771098312

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
There are some very scary people on that Facebook page.

Posts on the page also reflect the anti-hunters motives to ban ALL hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Mike-
generally,
they are not just anti-hunting,
rather--- near militant vegans

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
Wishing you a Speedy Recovery my friend--

BTW---for the Admins here--

THE ANTI'S are on this already and linking to AR

https://www.facebook.com/WeWil...SilencedAboutHunters

We Will Not Be Silenced about Hunters
September 11 at 12:17pm · Edited ·
On September 9 2015 Leon duPlessis was shot through the ankle by a client.
. A picture revealed a grizzly wound. We think it is a graphic photo so have not posted it (it is on the forum however - please note we do not know if the man pictured in our FB post is HIM, it is the image that comes up from that website - if I recall correctly Leon is somewhat younger! )
Perhaps Leon will not only think about what a lucky escape he had, but about how painful HIS bullets are to animals. see here to read more (and see more ) see here: (click link) -( Thanks Richard for alerting us)
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/2771098312

Other than moving the thread to make that URL invalid, there isn't much we can do.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote