New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food for the soul.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am reading Aldo Leopold at the moment, "A Sand County Almanac". I suspect I am the last "pig to the trough" on this book as it has been out there for many years and revered as something quite special.

Well, it is. I am curious if any of you African hunters have read this book and felt an applications/vibrations about Leopold's observations in Wisconsin to your trundles and musings while getting early tea or a late evening sundowner?

Get philosophical on me here, it is ok....

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much standard reading requirement for fish and wildlife undergraduate programs. The Good Oak reflection is one of the more poignant moments for me.

Posts: 211 | Location: West of the Big Muddy | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Read it many years ago and it is still on my bookshelf.
Sometimes the evening reflection is enhanced by a good whiskey and cigar.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Read it in the early1960s. Probably time to read it again.
He left a lot of tracks around our cabin along Arizona's border with New Mexico.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am about 2/3's the way through this soul wrenching book. I am pretty upset with myself over how little I really know about what is going on around me. In truth, I know next to nothing. Scary.

This book was written with a US or European model in mind. I am mentally trying to plant Africa into this book. The outcome is not clean and clear.

I urge others to read this and share their thoughts.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Have not read it
Will do boys

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross;

I checked online and can get the audio version (for my husband). Can't wait to receive it! Thanks for recommendation!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Have it and read it several years ago. Need to read it again before I wax poetic. As stated above, whiskey and a cigar helps.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like I need to read this book.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should be a compulsory read for anyone considering a walk in the woods.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As some one said, this was required reading for all us student wildlife biologists in the early 70s. Aldo Leopold was the father of modern game management and a real poet to boot. He certainly had profound impact on me. Every time I hear a field sparrow singing in the pre-dawn, I think of him sitting in the Wisconsin woods with a cup of coffee adding to his bird list for the day. I also was thrilled to find Silphium, a native tall grass prairie species, still growing in the little natural grassland just south of the Sam Noble Natural History Museum in Norman. I know he would have been pleased that some of them still survive.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"