Find
Notify
Tools

What have I forgotten????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted
My wife & I leave for RSA in 170 days! I have my guns, 3 boxes of appropriate ammo for each, binos, hat, sunscreen, bug spray, tip miney, good walking boots, meds. I'm exersizing daily, and so is the wife. Shooting a LOT. Getting familiar w/ the camera.

ANY advice would be appreciated. I.E. should I take hard candy to pass out to the trackers and hunt team?

I've heard of a service that expedites getting guns through customs....anyone know about that in J-burg?

The company has their own taxidermy that I plan to use so I am not concerned about that.

What else should I know or do?

I love peoples of other cultures & enjoy getting to know them as well. I DO not want to offend them in any way. Is it kind of unacceptable to socialize with the hunting team other than the PH?

Last thing. My mind set is to ENJOY every minute not just the hunt..but that's what I'm there for not shopping..

Thanks in advance,

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you don't need a service to expedite guns, the process is easy. Bring some American Chocolate for the trackers, also bring some cigarettes

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karamojo Bill,

Get ready for the time of your life! Having been to SA, and a number of other African countries, you will learn two things for certain: Africa gets into your blood stream and bank your account and doesn't ever leave either one! Hard candy and such can be purchased in country. Jo'Burg is alot like any US city, with the exception of the left side driving and some crime areas! I did take some Buck 110 folding knives and pocket knives as gifts. Just don't take too many. Gloves and stocking caps/full face masks are always appreciated by the trackers for early morning cold weather. Inexpensive and easy to pack.

Do spend some time shopping for local curios, there are some neat items to be bought cheaply. If you and your wife can get to Cape Town you will enjoy some of the best seafood and wine imaginable. The wine country is near and a day trip to Stellenbosch is worthwhile. Camps Bay is gorgeous and a great place for a nights rest. Enjoy, I am at my best in Africa or Alaska!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Easy to forget, but very important is a notebook and pens to keep a journal for your own memories, and more importantly an accurate hunt report here.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things that got my attention - sunglasses, ammo belt or slide, multi tool-small. Good Luck!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I do in fact HIGHLY recommend using the gun clearing service. Get the meet and greet service along with. As soon as you clear passport control they wil be waiting with a sign board, or even as you go into the airport up the ramp if you still deplane outside. You will get throught the airport in just a few minutes instead of hours. You move straight to the front of the line no matter how many are in front of you, they will also help find your party who is picking you up, Joburg is a hectic mess at times. I used www.hunterssupport.com
Good Hunting
Chipolopolo

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Karamojo Bill,

You seem, based on what and how you say it, to have the mental preparedness just right for a wonderful first South African safari. What have you forgotten? An important question to which you have been given some sensible replies. But this question is not as important as: "What should I forget?"

What you should forget is, amongst other: "Back in the OUR COUNTRY we do it this way.....!" You are going to a different country where we do things differently. Not always correctly, like condoning the criminality and corruption of some political leaders, but differently. You come here mostly to learn our ways, not to teach us yours! Wink There is one exception on which I will support you teaching us your ways; if you feel uncomfortable with the ethics that your PH wants to impose upon you - then you should speak up. Loudly and clearly! thumbdown

If we do things differently from what you know in your own home country, that is a cultural difference of the nations, and we do not like to be told in a prescriptive manner by an individual how we should run our affairs. Just as you would not like a tourist to tell you how your country should run itself. By all means discuss politics, but please do not be prescriptive. Wink

OTOH ethics, and also religion, morals [and a few more?] are a very personal things where no-one, and definitely not the PH for whose service you pay, should be allowed to tell you how you should hunt, believe or behave.

Your question
quote:
I love peoples of other cultures & enjoy getting to know them as well. I DO not want to offend them in any way. Is it kind of unacceptable to socialize with the hunting team other than the PH?
is difficult to reply to.

Books can be written about proper behavior towards the indigenous people. IMHO our indigenous people have come to largely understand and in some cases accept, Western behavior: So, with a smile and a friendly disposition you are unlikely to upset anyone.

I can quite understand that a visiting hunter
may want to get to know more the culture, home, social situation, career ideals and so on of the trackers, skinners and other members of the team. You want to know where, how and under what conditions they live. How do the socialize? What are their aspirations? What are their moral and social values? And as tourist you may want to know many things about our whole South African society, and specifically about these important people who are after all part of your hunting team. After all, you do come here to learn our ways. I would however caution against just learning the culture of, let's try to be PC and call them the 'lower echelons' of the hunting society, and not get a balanced view of the total hunting society. Ask your PH about this one and think how you will feel if the roles were reversed? Imagine if I were to come and hunt in your country as your paying guest, and I want to socialize all day and night with the guy who tends your garden, or the cleaning lady, or someone who just works for you? Balance is what is required! I think it would be unfair to expect you to sit and socialize with one single PH for the duration of the hunt, and not get to gain at least some understanding of how the others live. IMHO you do have a right to see what the living conditions and social life structure of the rest of the hunting team's members are. However be prepared for some shocking reality. OTOH I can also see quite well what may/might happen if you were to excessively socialize with the trackers/skinners and cleaners. Disaster looming!

It is a difficult subject to discuss here: I'll advise to make your desires to gain some insight into the culture of these people clearly known to your PH, listen to his advice and act as you see fit. coffee

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Try to take a camera with a widish angle lens to make the most of your trophies. You might like to read this article for some good pointers: http://www.shakariconnection.c...phy-photography.html

If you want firearms import assistance, which does speed things up for you when you really don't want to be hanging around, you'll find two here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...nting-directory.html

You can download your firearms import application forms (don't forget your Dutch consent if coming via Amsterdam!) here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ermit-downloads.html

You might also consider taking a bottle of dog tick and flea shampoo to use instead of shower gel occasionally to get rid of the ticks.- It beats the hell out of getting tick bite fever and if you find yourself licking your own balls, you're using too much of it! Wink

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I didn't see it in your list, but you will need to have a U.S. Customs office near you fill out a form listing the serial numbers of your rifles, binoculars, cameras and other expensive items. You'll need the form when getting your gun permit in Johannesburg, as well as when you return to the states.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few things come to mind:

#1--It depends on who you're hunting with, but, in general, if you're a coffee addict, I recommend that you take a pound or two with you. Most Africans, and especially most South African Boer types, don't have a clue what decent coffee is supposed to taste like, nor do most of them have real coffee available. I take Community Dark Roast myself.

#2--I'd DEFINITELY take some Benadryl or other anti-allergen, anti-histamine type products. It may not happen, as you'll be there in the late winter, but I had an amazing allergic reaction to the Khaki plant (for one example) and I'm not normally one who has allergies.

#3--If you've got the room, take an extra duffel type bag for souvenirs, etc on the return trip. Just pack it flat in one of your bags and use it if you need it on the return trip.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You might also consider a Surefire Kroma torch, or in American, flashlight.

They ain't cheap, but if you have to do a night time follow up, they're worth more than their weight in gold and I can't speak highly enough of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

As Chipolopolo stated above using a gun clearing service is a time saver (I used Hunters support - approx. time was 15 minutes after baggage delivery - June 2008).

Also you might consider eye wash/drops.

Good hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some more ideas.
1. Get a small pocket sized digital camera with a gig memory card, give it to the PH or someone else in camp. After my first fishing trip in Canada, I didn't have a single picture that I was in. The candid shots someone else takes become treasures.
2. Put a mini first aid kit together, aspirin, stomach stuff, sun burn ointment, and the like.
3. Get a copy of the Lonely Planet series for SA. Good history, a little culture, and a little language. I seldom go to another country without studying one.
4. A pocket field guide to birds or other animals of interest is handy.
5. Study the Perfect Shot.
6. A good attitude is the most important! You'll find what you look for and have as much fun as you expect.
Have a good time,
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I just skimmed all the comments and just to reiterate some other's comments you do need to go to US Customs and get your guns etc. on a 4457 form if you have not done that. You will need this for reentry in the States on your return to prove that you did not buy the guns etc. overseas. Also RSA considers this form mandatory in order to give you a gun permit. People can do the gun permit process themselves but I always recommend using a service. It is very comforting to see someone standing on the other side of Passport Control in JNB with your name on a sign knowing that they are going to help you through everything from that point onward. You've got thousands in a nice safari why would you not spend a couple hundred dollars to seamlessly transit the airport? Of course my recommendation would be to use Gracy Travel for your arrangements and then use their complimentary service which only costs you the additional Gun Permit fee.

Good luck,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you taking camo clothing to RSA?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I discovered that cheap digital watches are highly prized. Apparently they have big mojo, or at least convey uber cool.

Don't use malaria prophy unless your PH so advises. It's unnecessary in nearly all of RSA.

Pick up a copy of: Africa, A Biography of the Continent. It's paperback and covers political, geological, social history, and more. It's fat, so skip around as you wish.

Re gun clearing service, I agree that, at least on your first trip, use one. I still do occassionally, after nine safaris.

Don't pack too much. Don't attempt to be blase'. It won't work, esp on your first trip. You will need a plastic surgeon to remove the grin when you return. Do have a fantastic time!
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I'm sure Brice has his reasons but I would never even entertain the idea of going to Africa without a malaria prophylaxis. The area you hunt might be "malaria free" but what if you travel through a malaria area on your way to or from the hunt and your the unlucky dude that gets bitten by the mosquito that carries malaria? Unlikey maybe but not worth taking a chance on getting a life threatening disease.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
One thing that will make your life much easier is the US customs form 4457! You need to have one for all your cameras, bynoculars, and scopes that were made in other countries. You need another one that only lists your firearms.

The 4457 is only a declaration of ownership of these items for customs when you return to the USA, to prove you are only bringing them back and did not buy them out of country. HOWEVER, many countries have come to think of this form as a USA gun permit, and accept it as such. This makes your trip through their customs much easier. One other thing before you de-plane, find your passport, and your invitation to hunt RSA papers un-signed, they have to be signed in front of the customs man, unless things have changed. Your outfitter will advise you on any changes that have taken place since my last trip, and those changes could be, one day after I went there, you know TIA (That is Africa)!

One other thing! Take a load of batteries for anything that uses them,and film if your camera uses film, if not several data cards, and take far more batteries than you will use so you can leave them with your PH. Batteries are hard to get in the bush.

PS: Don't forget to have a good hunt while you are there! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take copies of your passport information page, your US firarms ownership verification, and copies of travelers checks and keep separate from the originals. Big help if you lose them. I would not go again without having medical transportation insurance. A couple are available and which one is subject for another debate. Investigate and decide yourself.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
For RSA

1. Lined gloves, including some to give the guys riding in the bakkie -- culturally bright!

2. Jackets /sweater, removeable as the sun rises and needed for night drives

3. Sunglasses and a case to keep with you at all times (especially if swapping with prescription glasses)

4. Water, water, water. (They call it "still" for non-bubbly mineral water.) Keep a small bottle in your front pocket -- the SAA size was great. Refill in your room on safari and drink it like mad on all flights.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were there two years ago in July. It was pretty cold in the mornings, like near freezing. Camera is very important, I took an SLR and a little small one, both digital.

When I go again, I will bring cold and flu medicine with me. I got sick while I was there, a nasty flu.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Bill,

I just skimmed all the comments and just to reiterate some other's comments you do need to go to US Customs and get your guns etc. on a 4457 form if you have not done that. You will need this for reentry in the States on your return to prove that you did not buy the guns etc. overseas. Also RSA considers this form mandatory in order to give you a gun permit. People can do the gun permit process themselves but I always recommend using a service. It is very comforting to see someone standing on the other side of Passport Control in JNB with your name on a sign knowing that they are going to help you through everything from that point onward. You've got thousands in a nice safari why would you not spend a couple hundred dollars to seamlessly transit the airport? Of course my recommendation would be to use Gracy Travel for your arrangements and then use their complimentary service which only costs you the additional Gun Permit fee.

Good luck,

Mark
Mark. i thought the RSA gun permit was free ( of course the various services associated with clearing it cost).

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if he takes everything suggested on this list, he will have 100 plus lbs of luggage. mainly take a good attitude and SEIZE THE DAY!!!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Technically a 4457 isn't required for importing firearms into RSA but proof of ownership is and as you need the 4457 to get your rifles and other valuables back into the USA, you might as well also use it as your proof of ownership.

You can download it here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...files/sample4457.pdf

One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shakari Steve and All others....this is exactally what I was looking for. PLease keep it coming.

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Are you taking camo clothing to RSA?

Just my shorts. Shirts will be typical safari style.

I don't go ANYWHERE without sunglasses.

Malaria prophylaxis is not advised by the company.

Karamojo Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If 3 boxes is max weight OK, but I'd bring more and leave/"loose" Wink the rest w/the PH.
Gun cleaning equipment, small sample sizes from shows is what I brought and left behind, some q-tips too.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenixdawg:
you don't need a service to expedite guns, the process is easy. Bring some American Chocolate for the trackers, also bring some cigarettes

what do you pay for a pack of marlboro 20's here they cost 2.2 usd i know a lot of clients buy smokes here to take back they say iets much cheaper here

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
In recent years, whenever going to a malaria area, I bought my malaria prophylaxis over the counter at pharmacies in South Africa. It's cheaper, no prescription is needed, and most pharmacists there know more about which prophylaxis is needed for which area than any three doctors here in Tucson or the CDC in Atlanta.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Not all of them are available in all areas here. Malarone for example, ia unavailable in many/most parts of the country.

Apparently it's too effective for some areas including the lowveld, and African logic has decreed that we should only be permitted to use the less effective types. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
In recent years, whenever going to a malaria area, I bought my malaria prophylaxis over the counter at pharmacies in South Africa. It's cheaper, no prescription is needed, and most pharmacists there know more about which prophylaxis is needed for which area than any three doctors here in Tucson or the CDC in Atlanta.

Bill Quimby

What is the malaria med that you use?

thanks

posted Hide Post
I made a checklist of everything I took here https://sites.google.com/site/...a2008/Home/checklist. Hope it helps & good hunting!

Posts: 14 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The most important thing! Don't forget to have fun! Hope you have a wonderful hunt and safe travels!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here's some more links you might find useful:

Health: http://www.shakariconnection.c...can-hunt-health.html

Packing list: http://www.shakariconnection.com/packing-list.html

Expectations: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ng-expectations.html

Hope you might find other parts of the site useful as well.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
KB- Went to RSA in '04, and found that learning a few phrases in Zulu helped IMMENSELY in the Customs Department. Got through without a problem. Have a great time!! BN

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
<<<<<<<What is the malaria med that you use?>>>>>>>

I don't remember. It has varied. I usually spend some time in Pretoria with friends before I go elsewhere else. I've just told the same pharmacist there where I'm going and ask what he recommends. Before I buy, I have him check to see if there is a conflict with the other medicines I take.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
most malaria meds require that yOU start taking them 3-10 days before you get to the malaria zone. hard to do if you buy them in RSA.

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Karamojo Bill,

I'm amazed that no noe referred you to our [that is the AR Forum's] very own packing list. It is here:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...22101325/m/869101261

This is not only a list, but a well motivated list.

The Allan Hansen, Shakari and Terry Carr lists combined with your own thoughts and some of the advice given in the postings will really prepare you very well - and probably cost you a small trophy animal fee in excess luggage weight charges! Big Grin But at least you will have evrything, including the kitchen zink! Big Grin Note Allan's "change of clothes" in his carry-on list - this is really only required as insurance against lost checked luggage.

Enjoy the final preps. and the actual hunt!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
<<<<<<<What is the malaria med that you use?>>>>>>>

I don't remember. It has varied. I usually spend some time in Pretoria with friends before I go elsewhere else. I've just told the same pharmacist there where I'm going and ask what he recommends. Before I buy, I have him check to see if there is a conflict with the other medicines I take.

Bill Quimby

Regrettably, we now know that some of the anti-malarials have some very bad side-affects including irreversible eye damage, possibly leukemia, etc. Presumably your RSA pharmacist steers you away from these commonly available and widely used Rx found in RSA and puts you in the "safer" meds -- tho all can have unpleasant side-effects.

I lived in Central, southern and West Africa for many years and it was only sometime later that I and my long-term African colleagues discovered what some of these side-effects were.

Personally, I would trust the tropical medicine docs at CDC. Many have lived for long periods of time in malaria infested areas -- and live and breath this stuff since it is such a disabling disease.

But whatever works for whomever---

One of Us
Picture of BaldMummy
posted Hide Post
Bill .. You have got many fine sugestions !!

A small tacktical High power torch/flashlight .. is invaluable.

and a small field guid to plants animals and reptiles adds greatly yot your enjoyment of the bush..

PM me and i will recomend a book .. that covers most ...

and most importantly ..... enjoy mate .. Africa gets u sooner or later !!! ... its magical!

I just like things that go BANG!!!

Posts: 34 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote