Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo bull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys

I just heard that a buffalo bull was sold yesterday on a auction for 9.2 million.

WOW what a prize.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
F'kin' 'ell!

I bet we both know where that went...... Wink

It must be a hell of a bull! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve

Its a great bull maybe you can put up a picture if you can.

Its been a hell of a bad year friend got 5 dollar for me please. dancing

Luan

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mate, I wish I could have a year as bad as some of you these blokes but hey, I'll give you $5 if you'll buy me a classic Mercedes SL or SLC! rotflmo

Guys, I should say this buff was bought for breeding stock, not for hunting....... a magnificent animal indeed!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Is it a captive animal? Is that why the hooks are not boomed slimmer like the trophy photos? I guess that would reduce 4 or 5 inches at least in spread.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I assume it's just a younger animal and has yet to reach it's full potential. Smiler

He's helluva big now but will get helluva bigger yet. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Mate, I wish I could have a year as bad as some of you these blokes but hey, I'll give you $5 if you'll buy me a classic Mercedes SL or SLC! rotflmo

Guys, I should say this buff was bought for breeding stock, not for hunting....... a magnificent animal indeed!

Other than being a little on the 'soft' side, does it have some form of skin pigmentation disorder (ears)or has it been thoroughly 'steam cleaned' Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steam cleaned cajuns of gold and sperm of platinum for that prize.

luan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
for that kind of money he better he house trained and be able to drive the truck for me when I have had one to many drinks. does he come with spare fishing gear Luan needs to barrow some jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Rand or US Dollar?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Rand or US Dollar?

+1

$9.2 million US dollars seems like a very poor investment to me. I'm not privy to safari financials, but seems like ROI wouldn't be enough to recoup your initial investment.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Rand Eeker

I'd have thought that many USD would have bought several decent racehorses! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its got to be a ZAR figure....like bulls have sold at $1M USD at auction with lots of data on their sperm.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:
Its got to be a ZAR figure....like bulls have sold at $1M USD at auction with lots of data on their sperm.

thats what i was offered last week Wink

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Me too! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
OK, I can see the sense in sequestering bovine specimens with desireable attributes for the purpose of breeding. Such as would be done with especially high milk producers, high quality meat producers etc., but with wild game, is the plan for this guy to sire a bloodline of exceptional horn producers?

Are we going to hear complaints of breeding manipulation for trophy purposes?
Maybe we should.
Could the captive bred offspring of bulls such as this be challenged as record holders or will there be a separate category in which they would be entered? Should the same go for elk, deer and bison here in the US?

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, I can see the sense in sequestering bovine specimens with desireable attributes for the purpose of breeding. Such as would be done with especially high milk producers, high quality meat producers etc., but with wild game, is the plan for this guy to sire a bloodline of exceptional horn producers?

Are we going to hear complaints of breeding manipulation for trophy purposes?

Well, think about all those buffs now on just about every large ranch in SA....they weren't all relocated from Kruger.
Yep, disease free, big horn breeders are valuable...so are great cows that have proven
offspring.
Bob

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Wait for it.

Canned buffalo hunting is on the way!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Wait for it.

Canned buffalo hunting is on the way!

Saeed,

Canned buffalo hunting is just the beginning.

Wait until that smart rancher/outfitter/PH group start cloning buff, & lions & leopard. Just think, several hunters post pictures of their trophies & get accused of sharing the same picture.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The commercial breeding of animals such as buffalo, roan, sable & rhino etc has been very big business in Africa, esp South Africa for donkey's years...... and I've gotta say, the profit margins can be obscenely good. Wink

I don't know much about the US but get an idea the same thing happens there for some species such as white tail and possibly bison etc?

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:

thats what i was offered last week Wink

Aubrey, what you and Use Enough Gun really meant to say was "That's what I offered" to make a donation. Isn't that what you really meant to say? She must have been one hell of a looker!

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
The commercial breeding of animals such as buffalo, roan, sable & rhino etc has been very big business in Africa, esp South Africa for donkey's years...... and I've gotta say, the profit margins can be obscenely good. Wink

I don't know much about the US but get an idea the same thing happens there for some species such as white tail and possibly bison etc?

Yes, here in the USA the breeding of trophy whitetail deer is a very big business with quite a few advocates, and of course, detractors too. I guess buying cape buffalo bulls for the same concept is not that difficult to understand, regardless of what one thinks about the ethics of such a practice. That's one hell of a bull, wonder what kind of stud fees he'd command? Even more so, wonder who the bloke is that'll get to collect his semen in little french straws? Wink That fellow will have to be a special individual, possessing both incredible bravery, and boundless stupidity!

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
Yes Whitetail,bison and elk are all being bred in captivity. That is generaly defined as behind a high game fence. Game killed under highfence IS NOT considered fair chase and is not recordbook eligible. Now will I swear in court that none of these animals have been turned in as fair chase-not on your life. I hace see deer with eartags on my place and I sure didnt turn them out there.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's one hell of a bull, wonder what kind of stud fees he'd command? Even more so, wonder who the bloke is that'll get to collect his semen in little french straws? That fellow will have to be a special individual, possessing both incredible bravery, and boundless stupidity

AI isn't in great use in SA as it is here in the US for elk and whitetail...the boy has got to it naturally.
Bob

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA