THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The perfect 500gr soft for buff-Woodleigh or A-frame?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The perfect 500gr soft for buff-Woodleigh or A-frame?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got the feeling that a Woodleigh is better suited for buff and other african game because it has quicker and greater expansion.Since your first shot should be a soft and is usually a shot to the vitals,why use a tough A-frame?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I cut open a Woodleigh and it is made of a cupro colored metal like those hard Hornady's in brassy colored jacket.
I prefer the TXS for expansion and destruction of tissue while traveling through the animal.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
IMO, You could flick a coin, for ether bullet is great in 45cal on up for Buff.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
There is no wrong choice among those two bullets. They're both great.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I use the Swift A-Frame but either will get the job done.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that either the Swift A-Frame or Woodleigh would easily work, but I'm slightly partial to the A-Frames - I've used them on brown bear, buffalo & eland with EXCELLENT results.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are excellent bullets for buff. This past August, I did a Australian cow buff cull with Hunt Australia. Used a 375 H&H. It was recommended that I use Barnes X type bullets. I loaded up a box with the old Barnes X 270 gr. bullets. I was never a big fan of the Barnes since experiencing marginal results using smaller caliber bullets on deer sized animals.

Due to my skepticism, I also brought along Hornady Interlocks and Nosler Partitions. Much to my amazement, I was able to get 14 consecutive one shot kills with the Barnes. Recovered bullets looked like those in the magazine advertisements with the perfect 4 petal expansion. All cows were shot in the boiler room.

My buddy was using a 460 Weatherby with assorted bullets, but no Woodleigh or A-frames. His knockdown results were quite impressive, including the big trophy bull he took. He was using Noslers, Hornady, and 450 gr. Barnes.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found Woodleigh softs too soft for heavy game in my 500 Nitro.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Don't forget there are actually two different Woodleigh softs. There's the SP and the PSP and both behave very differently from each other.

Of those two bullets, the PSP is a better option for Buff.

As to choosing between the Woodleigh PSP and the Aframe, either are fantastic bullets on Buffalo and I'd suggest you load a few of each and see which groups better in your particular rifle and then go with that.

With Woodleighs, it's especially important to pay strict attention to what it says on the box with regards to velocity.

The Woodleigh SP incidentally, is a fantastic cat bullet.

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
As to choosing between the Woodleigh PSP and the Aframe, either are fantastic bullets on Buffalo and I'd suggest you load a few of each and see which groups better in your particular rifle and then go with that.(Shakari)

This is very important.Most premium bullets perform just fine After BULLET PLACEMENT.I have a leaning towards the barnesX.but some guys complain about grouping.so get the bullet that groups the best
Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote