THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Anyone have promblems with Guns and KLM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone have promblems with Guns and KLM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
I connected through Amsterdam (on KLM) in May and had no problems at all.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have a rifle and shotgun in Finland from a moose hunt this past September. KLM pulled the bag in Helsinki and refused to send it back with me. Very, very long story that would take too long to re-type here. I also had a bad experience with a KLM employee while trying to fly out of Gatwaick after an ENgland deer hunt 4 years ago as well.

THat said, I prefer KLM and Northwest. I fly 80-125 legs a year, mostly for work, and often have a rifle with me. All airlines have their problems and it usually boils down to the individual you wind up with that day. I will stick with KLM for most of my trans Atalntantic and intraEurope flying when it is possible. THey have given me the most consistent service and most help when it all hits the fan and I am in another country.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ray's right. International law requires that if a passenger is travelling with forearms/ammo he should tell the airline at check in and the check in agent is supposed to comment that fact in the booking. It's actually a good idea to ask your travel agent to comment this when you make your booking. (Incidentally, BA require 3 days notice of travelling with firearms/ammo) The agent is supposed to tag the relevant bags accordingly. All bags are x-rayed and sniffed etc before loading and if a bag has not been tagged as firearms/ammo or if a comment has not been placed in the booking then it will cause alarm bells to ring.

The Air Navigation Order and it's various equivalents also divides firearms into two groups.One is sporting Firearms and the other Weapons of War. Commercial airlines are allowed to carry sporting firearms (assuming they're licenced) but not to carry weapons of war.......so when you refer to your firearms to airport personnel you should use the term "sporting Firearms" as an anti just might use the rules against you if you just use the term firearms or guns or rifles etc.

I'm bit out of touch now, but Amsterdam used to have the worst record of all European airports for losing baggage.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I've gotten the Dutch third degree more than once. "Do you know why we paged you?" NO. YOU PERHAPS CAN TELL ME.

"Why did it take so long to answer the page?" WE WERE EATING OUR LUNCH.

"So, you don't know why we want to ask you some questions?" MAYBE BECAUSE WE HAVE THREE RIFLES AND AMMUNITION TO MATCH IN OUR CHECKED LUGGAGE FROM A HUNTING TRIP IN TANZANIA? "Why, yes! So, you were hunting?"

YES. "For what?" BIG GAME. YOU KNOW, LIONS, LEOPARDS, ELEPHANTS, CAPE BUFFALO, THAT SORT OF THING.

"You can still do that?" YES, THANK GOD! "Thank you." [Conference among blue suited airline types off mike.] "Have a nice trip home. Thank you for flying KLM. Sorry for any inconvenience."

But the bastards still wouldn't hand check our film and were rude about it to boot.

I think, sad as it is to say, it's all about choosing the least obnoxious of the bunch.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this might be old infor but about 7 years ago my wife & I flew northwest and KLM and both swore never again. When we got to joberg I had an aluminum 2 rifle case. The barrel of one was sticking out about a foot out of the end of the case and the case was hit hard enough to bend the scope tube on the other. KLM would only cover $300. then on the return trip they canceled out seat assignments & we got stuck in the back of the plane. arrived in time to see our next flight taking off. Then we got called individually off to the authorities for questioning, because we had ammo in the baggage. KLM shrugged the whole mess off. Thank goodness northwest didn't and got us on the next flight out and upgraded us to a business class seating.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote