Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
I would like people's opinions on the new Ruger Rifles. I have a Ruger 10-22 but have not really been to much of a fan of some of their other rifles for various reasons.

I see their new rifles and bigger calibers and would like peoples thoughts.

I grew up with Remington's and Browning's and always loved them and then had two custom rifles built.

I am just curious on their current production rifles.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter has a 375 Ruger Alaskan. It shoots 1 MOA with factory ammo, cycles nicely, is very compact, and is a pleasure to carry.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little Joe,
My wife also has a .375 Ruger Alaskan. She likes it, and so do I.

One of Us
Picture of ryry4
posted Hide Post
I've got a .375 Ruger African and love it. On the other hand you couldn't give me a 10-22.

Posts: 171 | Location: Alberta, Canukistan. | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a model 77 hawkeye in 300wm that I took on my 1st pg safari, it worked like a charm.
Still whitetail hunt with it some.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger #1 in 450/400 and a Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger. Love them both and very accurate. The 416 with 350 gr TSX is a smoking elk rifle, with 3006 trajectory and twice the hammer!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Not a Ruger rifle fan, but have only heard good things about the Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger African in 416 Rigby. It works perfectly. Its tough and reliable. I did put a VIAS muzzle break on it (waiting for AR scorn..... diggin)kicks about like a 12 gauge now and the noise is ot much more than without the brake. VAIS makes a good designed unit
Not sure if Ruger still makes the African model or not, definatly an upgrade over the hawkeye

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full Roar:
I have a Ruger African in 416 Rigby. It works perfectly. Its tough and reliable. I did put a VIAS muzzle break on it (waiting for AR scorn..... diggin)kicks about like a 12 gauge now and the noise is ot much more than without the brake. VAIS makes a good designed unit
Not sure if Ruger still makes the African model or not, definatly an upgrade over the hawkeye

Nah! No scorn, just pity for all the poor bastards at hand when the damn thing goes off. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did put a VIAS muzzle break on it (waiting for AR scorn..... diggin)kicks about like a 12 gauge now and the noise is ot much more than without the brake.

quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
Nah! No scorn, just pity for all the poor bastards at hand when the damn thing goes off. Cool

Full Roar it is not too bad to the one firing the braked rifle but the guys around you will get their eardrums on the shooter’s side driven out the other ear!

I will not have a brake on a big bore rifle, and the only brakes I have are on handguns where recoil is very severe like my 16 inch barreled TC contender 411 JDJ. I do have a rifle that I took in trade with a muzzle brake, and I have zero idea why it was installed because it is a Mauser actioned 30-06 that weighs in at around nine pounds and has a recoil pad. My guess is the previous owner just thought it looked NEAT because like most brakes certainly wasn’t NEEDED!

Of course I’m in no position to tell others how to fit their rifles, that is their business. Just warn the guys around you, especially the trackers and PH to cover their ears before you fire it if it is braked.

................................................................. Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Ruger rifles mostly for all of my hunting in America and Africa. I have also used Winchester, Sako, CZ and Dakota. I really like the Rugers. I use the Magnum (RSM) and the Express (RSE). The newer RSMs are lighter(by a full lb.) and the best IMHO (but they are dc'ed now, as are the Expresses). The only objection I had was with the RSM in 375H&H (which ironically I have taken the greater share of my African animals with) as it was way too heavy(10.25 lbs.) in that caliber. Then, Ruger came out with the African rifle in 375 Ruger, which weighs 7.75 lbs. and solved that problem rather nicely, with a much slimmer stock as well, and a much better trigger. Problems solved. I do not care for the new Africans however, with the muzzle brakes. In the end, I am a great supporter of Ruger rifles.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used some Rugers and they are excellent rifles.
Lately Juan Pozzi used JTEX RUGER AFRICAN IN 458LOTT and saidhe its a great rifle.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scriptus. As to the Ruger .416R mine is very consistent.Have taken game out to 430 yds and shoot to 500 yds. My wife use the .416 she is 5'3"

Little Joe

We have Rugers in .308 up to the largest cals. and they all are sterling. The 22 centerfires as well offer performance. The new American Rifles have got to about the best value as they have great accuracy, a well designed bedding system and at an attractive price.

The Ruger rifle barrels are hammer forged offering consistency and a smooth inner bearing surface thus I think lends its self to less fouling.

We regularly go to 1,000 yds with off the shelf Ruger rifles. Now I am particularly fond of the 6.5 Creed more for distance.

Since Mike Fifer joined Ruger in '06 the company in my view has made a great turn around as to superior product quality,customer service,new products and retro product. Of course product availability is an issue throughout the industry at present.
Fifer has remade Ruger a totally rebuilt company so different from the old reputation. Fifer and family are hunters and shooters. Fifer understands all areas ballistics and that is a plus for the consumer. You can actually go to Ruger's web sight and get a mail direct to Fifer.

Tell the CEO :https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO.html

I think you will find any of the more recently produced rifles superior to some of those manufactured a few years ago in the line. You should be well pleased were you to purchase one.

I know this sounds like ad copy or something from a gun writer. This is just observation from having seen hundreds of rifles performance.

There are plenty of very fine rifles produced by various manufactures today and achieve excellent consistency/accuracy that years ago was was probably available only in top price point or custom rifles.

Good shooting.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i have the M77 .375 Ruger in stainless laminate, 20" brl, banded front sight and sling swivel and no brake...LOVE IT!!! also have the blue walnut African in .416 Ruger. not much experience with it yet, but i expect ill wind up making it my go-to rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elton Rambin:
Scriptus. As to the Ruger .416R mine is very consistent.Have taken game out to 430 yds and shoot to 500 yds. My wife use the .416 she is 5'3"
Good shooting.

Elton, I do not have anything against Ruger [ in fact I would love something in the new Africa model,]
nor do I have anything against a .416. My problem is with those damn muzzle brakes, they be the ruination of hearing of those next to the shooter. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nothing beats a Ruger-its accurate barrel,reliable trigger,easy to use and excellent safety,handling,sights,recoil pad,...

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCRIPTUS.

LOUDER I CAN'T HEAR YOU. Smiler rotflmo

I was making fun since you mentioned the sissy pads some time ago on our shirts.

We have several of the Ruger Hawkeye African in the .223 cal.
Those are a perfect companion to the Large African and brown bear calibers. Less in cost of ammo and rearward thrust. They are super as to bullet placement and will do their job if the shooter is able to do his. These are excellent for learning,
training and practice. This rifle has heavy full length of a lg cal. African rifle ,fixed sights w/ front bead and sling swivel on bbl. 7.75 lbs. mod. HM77RS 37158 ,5rnds.
American Walnut, Standard Barrel

I plan to take one along this year for prairie puppies.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOthing at all wrong with the model 77 line of rifles. A very serviceable, good value.

The Safari Magnums, however, are in a whole other class. First rate DG rifles, with typically good wood and excellent fit and finish. Of course they sell for 3-4X what you pay for a model 77, but I have never been sorry I own a couple Safari Magnums. Mine are in .416 Rigby and 375H+H.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My problem is with those damn muzzle brakes, they be the ruination of hearing of those next to the shooter

Well after one blast, I would think a smart PH would be fast and be plugging His ears.

I warned my PH when my wife shot her impala. He didn't listen but I am sure He wonn't make that
mistake again Roll Eyes

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The newer Rugers are fine rifles and an excellent value...nothing to fear. The Alaskans and RSM's are awesome.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have one concern on all the "new" big calibers. If your ammo goes missing en route to Africa,and it can with the airlines and airports we have these days, you could have a boat anchor on your hands. A 375 H&H or a 458 win or 416 rem. have ammo all over somewhere near you so your not going to be stuck.
MY only concern.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Dande Jack. That's pretty much why I have stuck with the older traditional calibers. If they lose my .375 H & H, I bet there is some in camp somewhere. I know I have left .416 Rem and .458 Lott with my PH's so I would expect they still have some of it somewhere.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
My problem is with those damn muzzle brakes, they be the ruination of hearing of those next to the shooter

Well after one blast, I would think a smart PH would be fast and be plugging His ears.

I warned my PH when my wife shot her impala. He didn't listen but I am sure He wonn't make that
mistake again Roll Eyes

Plugging your ears whilst holding the binoculars to your eyes and pointing out the correct animal, yeah, that will work? Roll Eyes dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
NOthing at all wrong with the model 77 line of rifles. A very serviceable, good value.

The Safari Magnums, however, are in a whole other class. First rate DG rifles, with typically good wood and excellent fit and finish. Of course they sell for 3-4X what you pay for a model 77, but I have never been sorry I own a couple Safari Magnums. Mine are in .416 Rigby and 375H+H.
Bill

I just bought a RSM in 375H&H . I have not recieved it yet ,but anxious to shoot it .
I really like the 1/4 rib design , and the
nice wood

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1302 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
I did put a VIAS muzzle break on it (waiting for AR scorn..... diggin)kicks about like a 12 gauge now and the noise is ot much more than without the brake.

quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:

Full Roar it is not too bad to the one firing the braked rifle but the guys around you will get their eardrums on the shooter’s side driven out the other ear!

I will not have a brake on a big bore rifle, and the only brakes I have are on handguns where recoil is very severe like my 16 inch barreled TC contender 411 JDJ. I do have a rifle that I took in trade with a muzzle brake, and I have zero idea why it was installed because it is a Mauser actioned 30-06 that weighs in at around nine pounds and has a recoil pad. My guess is the previous owner just thought it looked NEAT because like most brakes certainly wasn’t NEEDED!

Of course I’m in no position to tell others how to fit their rifles, that is their business. Just warn the guys around you, especially the trackers and PH to cover their ears before you fire it if it is braked.

................................................................. Eeker

Its Ok, i knew it was coming Wink
The VIAS design incorporates some new engineering that makes the brake less obnoxious to those next to you. It directs ore sound forward than a conventional muzzle brake. It does not take it away completely tho. I put it on mainly to practice with as I had some shoulder problems going on. A 416 has a different kind of recoil for some reason. It just seems to kick me more. Maybe the rifle does not fit me as well as it should. My 450 NE does not kick me as much.
That being said, last time I used it I asked the PH if he would prefer that I take it off. He felt that if I was more confident using it to leave it on. Wasn't any problems, no ears blown out. The shooter kind of needs to be a bit more aware before he starts blasting away

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all three RSM's and I like them a lot. Ruger small bores are kinda hit or miss in the accuracy department.....IME

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote