THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Advice for first time SCI-Reno visitor?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for first time SCI-Reno visitor?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I will be attending the SCI convention in Reno next week for the first time. I was already warned the experience will be "overwhelming," so since I only have two days, I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.

- Are there any must see booths? Outfitters?
- Is SCI a good place to get good deals on hunts/weapons, or is it mostly for information?
- Will any of the PH's mentioned on this list frequently be attending?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't go!
it will end up costing a fortune-------you will never be the same Big Grin

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Austringer,

Come by our booth 446. We can talk about what you need face to face.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
You may want want to attend our seminar, "Your First African Safari" from 10 am to noon on Thursday.

Panelists are Craig Boddington (arms and ammo for Africa), Johan Calitz (what to expect from your outfitter and PH, and what they expect from you), Beverly Wunderlich (what to take, how to cut red tape, why you may want to book with an agent), Jack Atcheson (what to do in Africa to assure you get the best mounts on your wall), and Ludo Wurfbain (what to read before, during and after the safari).

This will be the 21st year that I have been the moderator for this seminar.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quickshot: I'm sure that's excellent advice, where were you when I needed you a couple of years ago??? Now I'm too far down the path, there's no turning back...

Mark: I will see you there. Thank you for your PM in reference to one of my other posts, I tried to reply but I don't think I did it right.

Billrquimby: I will be there, thank you for giving me the day and time. I was planning on attending that seminar, but have not yet managed to navigate the SCI site successfully.

Marc

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Austringer:

There always are a number of authors introducing and signing their books at SCI's conventions. Not all of them will be mentioned in the club's printed materials. Check the booths at Safari Press and Trophy Room Books for names and times. Craig Boddington, for example, will be at his booth with his new coffee-table book on Argentina's hunting. I'm suspect Terry Weiland will have a new book, too.

(Pardon the crass personal commercial, but I'll be signing my new "Sixty Years A Hunter" as well as my "Royal Quest, the Hunting Saga of H.I.H. Prince Abdorreza of Iran" at the Safari Press booth on Wednesday 10:30-11:30 am; Thursday 4:30-5:30 pm; and Friday 10:30-11:30 am.)

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for letting me know, I would like to take a look at both of your books. I"m in Reno Thursday and Friday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wear the most comfortable pair of shoe's that you own!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're obviously not going to get to see everything there. So don't leave the convention bummed that you didn't get to see more, just cherish the memories of what you did get to see.

All these recommendations above are good for the first timer, but don't deny yourself your own gift as a hunter of self exploration. Just pick an aisle when you walk through the door and start walking, and if you're in the 1100 section stop by at booth 1107!

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austringer:
Quickshot: I'm sure that's excellent advice, where were you when I needed you a couple of years ago??? Now I'm too far down the path, there's no turning back....

Marc

your addiction has started hilbily

you will be broke forever now-------
my first trip was for my 40th birthday and was to be my only "fling" for Africa hunting. I have already scheduled my 5th Africa trip for later this year-------there is no cure for your soon to be addiction my son. You will have to live with it, may you find the strength to indure it----year after year in the bush-spending your retirement funds dancing

everyone here is addicted too! Welcome to the club! beer

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're not supposed to take your wife; you're supposed to take your niece.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And don't forget to take in the ACGG custom gun show at the Nugget on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote