Find
Notify
Tools

bullet choices
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted
I am hunting plains game with my .300 win mag in May. I have never been to Africa so I am facing a bullet/cartridge dilema. I do not handload so it needs to be off the shelf ammo. What cartridges do I choose?
180gr. vs 200 gr.? Trophy bonded bear claws vs barnes bullets? Game sought will be kudu, wildebeast, gemsbok, impala, warthog. Any suggestions?

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Either bullet in either weight is more than adequate for the game you've listed. Pick what shoots best in your rifle, shoot for the vital triangle, and enjoy the experience without worries!

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Either bullet in either weight is more than adequate for the game you've listed. Pick what shoots best in your rifle, shoot for the vital triangle, and enjoy the experience without worries!

Amen to this.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
180gr. Swift A-Frames, Barnes 'X'/'XLC'/TSX, NorthForks, Nosler Partitions, and Trophy Bondeds are a good place to start.

They are all very good, so pick the one that shoots best in your rifle. Testing numerous factory loads will be expensive, but using an expensive bullet is cheap insurance against most bullet failures.

George
P.S. I've used Swift A-Frames on all four of my safaris, as well as Nosler Partitions once. Never had a problem.

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I just used Federal Premium .300 Win. Mag. ammo loaded with 180 gr. Nosler Partitions on some fifteen animals in S. Africa ranging in size from Mt. Reedbuck to Cape Eland. Range was between 100 and 250 yds. for all animals, with most taken at about 200 yds.

Performance was absolutely fantastic on everything, with very decisive, sometime dramatic kills, and absolutely reliable bullet performance. I recovered only one bullet, and that was from the eland. On all other animals, those 180 gr Partitions wrecked everything in their path and exited.

I've used handloaded 180 gr. Partitions before on some twenty animals in Namibia (Damaraland Dik Dik to Eland) with the same results.

If you need factory .300 Win. Mag. ammo, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a more effective load.......

AD

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
What Allen Day said, absolutely!

Have fun, and start planning your next trip to Africa, because it is an addiction, and you will return!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I have used the Federal 180 grain Nosler Partition and Trophy bonded bear claws, both worked extremely well, I prefer the bear claws, but both will do a great job. Use 180 grains, they are the most popular over here and do the job.

Flip

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know I cant help laughing sometimes when I see the genuine anguish some hunters go through when looking for a bullet... Or am i missing something...what makes me laugh is that I have over the last fifteen years or so been lucky enough to enjoy some awesome hunting in Zimbabwe...the first five years of which I only had one rifle and most of the time - not enough money to buy ammo did that stop me from hunting?? Not a chance!! Just take whatever rifle you can get your hands on, any ammo that somebody is willing to give you - go out, sneak up and shoot straight! It worked most of the time! and the times when it didnt were so few and far between I reckon they would have happened anyway for one reason or another...dont take this the wrong way...I just chuckle to myself when I think about some of the rusty cartridges & worn out barrells that have been used over the years...ammo that sat in Grandads bedside drawer since just after the war ended & 200 yrd shots at impala over ancient ironsites??? I cant remember who posted the original question, but yeah - everybody here has said something sensible, so you shouldnt go wrong, but whatever happens - only take the shots that you KNOW will be lethal.

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I just chuckle to myself when I think about some of the rusty cartridges & worn out barrells that have been used over the years...ammo that sat in Grandads bedside drawer since just after the war ended & 200 yrd shots at impala over ancient ironsites??? I cant remember who posted the original question, but yeah - everybody here has said something sensible, so you shouldnt go wrong, but whatever happens - only take the shots that you KNOW will be lethal.

So very true..... However I wonder how many folks take off for Africa with a worn out barrel and a box of rusty core loks? If it ever gets to the point I must go that way I'll do so.....until them I'll find a way to get some Swift A-Frames in my ammo pouch.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote