THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Grade my theoretical elephant brain shots-Warning - lots of pics

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grade my theoretical elephant brain shots-Warning - lots of pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I only have one plains game safari under my belt. One of my goals in life is to hunt elephant, at least once.

I have looked over The Perfect Shot and visualized elephant pics and still have a hard time with the location of the brain.

For a little fun, I took some elephant pics off the web that did not metion any copyright. I superimposed a crosshair on where I "think" the shot should be placed.

I am an admitted wantabee and have a lot to learn. I would probably try a heart shot in reality. Just for fun. Insults and question fo my lineage are acceptable.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You probably already have it, but Ron Thompson's book Mahohboh is a great reference for this.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, never done it, but, I am wondering if, in that first picture, you are not shooting too high. You are shooting up at an angle. I will let others comment.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Well if this does not get a post from Will, nothing will! Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I think that you need a little more practice Wink

Always put yourself at ground level and remember that your bullet usually has to angle up and cross through the brain. Some of your shots are high and/or off center for a brain shot. Reread the perfect shot (picture the broom handle between the ears etc....).

gotta get back to work...

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
That second bull............ Ooooooooooooooh!!!

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bull elephant stand 11 to 12 feet tall.

Bearing that in mind, several of your shots seem high to me. This is of course assuming that they are being taken from proper elephant shooting range, which is close.

I am certainly no expert, but missing high is not good.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Please understand, I'm no expert on elephant hunting, haveing been on only two hunts as back up for a friend, and to shoot Buffalo. With that said I'd say all your frontal shots are about 5" high, and some of the side shots are high as well.

The no 3 bull is about right, but about 4" too far left. It'd a long way back through that skull to the brain.

This is hard because these pictures are taken with a long lense. That makes the line of sight to indicate you being much taller that you really are. With the ele as close as they seem in the pictures, the general area for a frontal brain shot would be just about the first wrinkle in the top of the trunk! IMO

Now if you really want the facts, Will can tell you perfectly.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Depends on whether they are charging!

Copyrighted pics?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
Well, I think that you need a little more practice Wink

Always put yourself at ground level and remember that your bullet usually has to angle up and cross through the brain. Some of your shots are high and/or off center for a brain shot. Reread the perfect shot (picture the broom handle between the ears etc....).

gotta get back to work...

If an Elephant is facing you straight on, what is the distance from the outter surface of the trunk, to the center of the brain?

one of us
posted Hide Post
im going to agree with most every one on here 99% of all your shots are far to high and most are of center.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
1 - tad too high & too far left
2 - can't see it, looks too low
3 - about 8 or 9 inches too low
4 - bingo
5 - can't see it
6 - too far back
7 - bingo
8 - tad too high
9 - more centered

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
This is the type of thread that makes AR great.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ron Thompson's book Mahohboh is a great reference for this.

I agree 100%. Afted reading and reviewing this book you will know where the brain is.

Brain shots are easy if you know where to aim. Big Grin

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'd have one ele only - if those crosses mark where you would place your bullet rather than where you think the brain is.

18" to 2'6" from the skin on the forehead to the middle of the brain.

Side brain 1' to 18" is about right.

Generally you are shooting up into the animals head, so the bullet must go in below the brain.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana is right (Re: Your Question about distance from the outter surface of the trunk, to the center of the brain). Besides, he has more experience than many of us here. thumb

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

At least 2 spot on, and more that are close enough. I'd bet any number of elephant with you. Smiler You pay for the ones I brain and I pay for the ones you do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Will. Your on. No caliber bigger than .308 allowed though... Wink

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First wrinkle on the trunk ? If the head is raised that gives a different shot than if the head is lowered does it not ? Shouldn't you shoot for the brain not the wrinkle ?