Find
Notify
Tools

Booked first Leopard Hunt!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of riverman
posted
I recently booked my first Leopard hunt at the SCI show in Reno, the countdown starts. Does anyone have any recomendations on literature or DVD's on hunting Leopards. I have access to Boddington on Leopard but I am looking for others as well. I booked with Erindi hunting Safaris in Namibia for April 2007, I can't wait.

Posts: 50 | Location: Irwin, Idaho | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What makes you think I'm gonna let you have MY video to watch? Mom hasn't completely settled down yet, but she is talking to me at least. SmilerBooking two leopard hunts might have been a little over the top!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by riverman:
I recently booked my first Leopard hunt at the SCI show in Reno, the countdown starts. Does anyone have any recomendations on literature or DVD's on hunting Leopards. I have access to Boddington on Leopard but I am looking for others as well. I booked with Erindi hunting Safaris in Namibia for April 2007, I can't wait.

He's In The Tree, although I suspect there will be quite a bit of overlap with Boddington. I have both but have not watched the Boddington yet.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and good luck. I am going to move this to the African Big Game Hunting Forum (since it really isn't a Hunting Report). You should get some more response from that Forum.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
In 2004, I hunted leopard on a ranch bordering Erindi. We saw leopard tracks every day, but we were never able to keep a leopard on bait. Hope you do well, they are there.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to your outfitter about pre-baiting for your leopard before you get there. This is a good idea if your hunt is less than 14 days. You don't get to participate in the collecting of baits but you do have time to hunt other trophies. Good luck!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by riverman:

HE'S IN THE TREEis a very good Leopard tape, or DVD! However, I doubt it will be much use to you as a help in the type of leopard hunting you are likely to do in Namibia. Most hunting in Namib is with dogs, or by tracking, while the Zimbabwe hunting is with multiple baits, in riverine areas, with lots of trees, and thick bush. The PH in this film is Andrew Dawson, one of the most successful leopard PHs in Africa today. Confused

I'd be intrested in hearing some first hand experience with some hunts for Leopard in Namibia. The idea of tracking Leopard appeals to me, for some reason. thumb

Good Luck with your hunt Riverman! Leopard are one of my favorite animals in Africa! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Riverman,

The *best* book on hunting the wily leopard is Lew Hallamores's Chui! (with co-author Bruce Woods. The book is out of print and pricey, but Lew covers most of the same information in his book In the Salt which is easier to find (Trophy Room Books published it).

Good luck, I got my leopard on the third hunt. If I havd read the book first, it would not have taken as long.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!
I can imagine your excitement!!!
Good luck! thumb
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
Riverman,

The *best* book on hunting the wily leopard is Lew Hallamores's Chui! (with co-author Bruce Woods. The book is out of print and pricey, but Lew covers most of the same information in his book In the Salt which is easier to find (Trophy Room Books published it).

Good luck, I got my leopard on the third hunt. If I havd read the book first, it would not have taken as long.

jim

It is hard to find and pricey, but I have a signed copy for sale.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
River,
I wish you all the best, and I hope that you get your cat, but I hunted 21 days near Etosha and never even saw one. Had about 8 baits out, and saw lots of tracks but I never had one come to the bait. Insist on pre-baiting and even then keep your fingers crossed. I read somewhere that only about 120 cats were taken in the whole country last year.
What did Erindi say about your chances?? I think that alot of these guys list leopard to get you to come, knowing that you'll kill a bunch of plains game anyway and spend your money, also knowing that they will be pretty lucky to get you a shot at one, let alone a big male.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of riverman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info, I have alot to learn in the next 15 months. I hunted Erindi this year for plains game and had a great safari, taking all the animals I went for and a few more. I had the chance to tag along on two Leopard hunts while I was there and these guys are good. They are 100% in the last four years on Leopards and the cats range from 60 kilos to 90 kilos. The 90 kilo cat came while I was there and is a top ten in Namibia. They do pre bait before we arrive and then they use dogs and trackers. It was a very proffesional race and the outcome was awesome, the best part was getting to participate even though it has cost me another trip to Namibia with my father in tow, blank,. I saw three Leopards in ten days last year, so I hope we will have the same luck and get a chance for a large Tom. Thanks again for the advice and keep it coming. I am excited and wish the year to pass quickly.

David

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Namibia got a step increase in the number of CITES leopard export licenses they can issue based on their current population surveys, from 125 to 500 a year IIRC.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds for you then. When you say that you saw three leopard, when and how did you see them?
What does Erindi charge for the hound hunt, just curious. I booked Zimbabwe for this year for a second try.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of riverman
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

I saw all Leopards while hunting with dogs. The houndsman Erindi uses is first class and has hunted cats all his life. He scouts all areas before placing baits and even then scouts roads every day in case baits aren't working. The daily rate is $650 a day and the trophy fee for Leopards is $3500. The houndsman get $2500 for the daogs and then $1000 when you get your cat. They suggest 14 days for hunting as most places require. Overall I think it is about the going rate for Leopards anywhere. I was just really impressed by the Ph's and the houndsmen. What did you have to pay for your hunt in Zim?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid $250 per day, with a $3,500 trophy fee. Sound like it will be a great hunt for you, and I'm happy that you are not counting on one coming to the bait. The cats are definetly there, but don't come to the baits like they do elsewhere. That is pretty expensive though, compared to say Zimbabwe, where even the trophy fee is cheaper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar: I'll have to step up and help David defend our choice to book 2 leopard hunts at Erindi. This is a dream of a lifetime, and we get to do it together with our friends.

Got first shot at the season, the moisture will be good for tracking with dogs, mostly undisturbed animals, and hope to be able to select big ones. Yes, it is expensive, but the quality is worth every bit of it. The PH's are very experienced with this type of hunting, and sucessful on numerous cats each year. There are no guarantees, but 2 or 3 safari's to get a cat is considerably more than what we are spending here. We're not paying the 15% VAT, as that is included in the fees, and there is an awful lot of extras provided for the wife/companion. The plains game available during the hunt is exceptional, and reasonably priced like most in Namibia.

Looking forward to this hunt, more than any I have ever done.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blank,
Re-read my post...no need to defend your friend from me. Sounds like a great hunt and I wish you both lot's of luck, I just wanted to relate my experiences to him. I loved Namibia and would definetly go back, but not for leopard. I don't fancy shooting one using dogs, but that's just my opinion, as I would rather watch one come in to the bait. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar: My bad - a poor choice of words. David is my oldest son, and I couldn't think of a more perfect hunting companion. We are really looking forward to this together. I went to Erindi in 2004, and he in 2005. I do not and will not hunt our bears or mountain lions with dogs, but think it will be tremendously exciting for leopard. I do bait here at home, and also prefer to call with predator calls for the excitement factor. The PH's at Erindi will also sit blinds and try it in the traditional way in afternoons, and run in the mornings. A cat in the tree at sunset would be the ultimate mind's eye photo!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blank,
No problem brother. Your hunt sounds awesome.
I did see tracks all over the place, but nothing at the baits. I agree with running the cat with dogs...he ain't no Mt Lion, and will try to get you if he can, the dogs as well.
As for my hunt, I do think that my PH could have done more to get me the cat. He was over extended with getting us all of our plains game, and didn't put the time into the cat like I wish he did. I think that he could have been much more aggressive, and should have pre-baited more like he said he would. I had a great hunt but was disappointed with him on that end. I was amazed at this, since my $3,500 trophy fee flew back to New York with me, and I reminded him of this jokingly a few times while I was there! Move your ass, you know!
Anyway, I will retract what I said about not hunting Namibia again for leopard...I would, but only using dogs, not bait.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Our mindsets and opinions sound very similar. If you would PM me with your snail mail address, I would like to send you an extra camp brochure and 2005 photo brochure from our choice. I think you might like it. Joel