New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia vs. Zimbabwe, hunt 2005
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
SMy family and I are planning a safari this year and want to hunt Zimbabwe or Zambia. We want a good buff hunt and other plains game. My wife has this thing about hunting a big crock (not me) this trip. Which will give me the best option on variety, price and quality????

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I am planning on a buff hunt in Zambia in May 06. I just cannot get comfortable with the situation (whether real or perceived) in Zim. I will be booking with Balla-Balla Safaris. Check them out.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zambia has some good buffalo, but the government concession fees are high so the hunts tend to be very costly. If you want to maximize the bang for your buck, Zimbabwe would be better (if going through a top operator), but you may hunt in an area that sees fewer hunters if you go to Zambia.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I'm planning my 6th safari in Zimbabwe for this year, the prices are easier to handle in Zim. I took a great Buffalo there as did some of my clients. got a huge crocc there this past year, I will try and post it...
never had a lick of trouble in Zim, always felt completly safe and comfortable there....

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Whom should I see in Dallas this weekend for ZIM/ZAM hunting in 05?????

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
LB - A subject near-and-dear to my heart... For buffalo and croc, In Zambia you should be looking along the Luangwa River in the Luangwa Valley. In Zim, it would likely be the Zambezi Valley along the Zambezi River, preferably concessions to the north-east of the country.

Both areas have buffalo and 38" is a good expectation, but the chances for a 40" buff is likely better in Zambia. But as Ray says - "They are where you find then." Zambia has more open areas, and most of the good hunting are in the concessions along the National Park boarders (including the Lower Lupande, where I hunted in Sept and shot two buffalo and a lion. This area also has about 1000 "resident" herd buffalo, plus the bachelor bulls that wonder in during the early and late seasons). In the middle Zambezi Valley, the "jess" is typically thick except at the end of the year.

Large croc's can be shot in either area. The current is not as fast in the Luangwa, so there is less chance of the croc getting away after the shot. I think the record croc was taken out of Chewore North in the Zambezi, but from my experience hunting both areas the croc's are a bit more educated in Zim versus Zambia. In ambia, the larger crocs are said to be further north along the Luangwa. In both cases, the opposite side (half) of the river is non-hunting, so the key is to coax the croc's to bait or catch them sunning themselves on the near back (or in the case of the Luangwa late season, a sand bar more towards the concession side).

The Luangwa Valley has more native people, and like Masailand, this can either add to or distract from the trip depending upon your perspective. For me, it was one of the highlights. The Zambezi (concessions like Sapi, Chewore North and Dande North) are 100% wild. Of the two, I'd have to say that the Zambezi valley is more beautiful.

Fishing is better along the Zambezi. Both are "big game areas", and as such, plainsgame is secondary and dependent upon available quota, and depends on the area you are looking at.

Regarding travel, for Zambia, you'd fly from Joburg to Lusaka where you would likely catch a charter (which can be expensive). In the Lower Lupande and neighboring concession, you can take a $150 Air Zambia flight to Mfuwe, which is what I did. On the way back, I was the only one in the plane that could seat about 20.

To get to the Zambezi, you would likely fly from Joburg to Harare, where again you'd likely charter. In either case, driving is an option depending on the outfitter. For shopping and overall attractiveness, Lusaka beats Harare. Although the airport in Harare was better organized. The nod would have to go to Zambia for "safety" and general stability.

Regarding cost, I think you will find both to be about equal overall. 7-day buffalo hunts in the Lower Lupande cost around $9000 with everything. Croc trophy fee was $1300, and the other game was very reasonable (puku, impala, warthog, hyena, etc). A 7-day buffalo hunt in an area like Sapi (Zim) is going to cost about the same. Croc TF's were I think $2200. (which is why recovering the croc is so important!) However, the deals will be better in Zim, and it is possible to get a lower hunt package. One area to negotiate either way would be on the "observer" fee.

To me, it's a toss-up. Both are "real" Africa, with the Zambezi being more wild, and the Luangwa offering the opportunity to interact with the local people, many of whom are still quite priminative. Who you hunt with may make all the difference.

In Zim, I hunted with Buzz Charlton, and will be there again w/him and two sons in July for ele bull. In Zambia, I highly recommend Peter Chipman (in the Lower Lupande), or Johnny Du Plooy (Chanjuzi, where I have not hunted but is hightly referenced). There are many other good companies and PH's in both countries...but Zim probably has the best qualified PH's of any African country IMHO.

Email me if you need any add'l contact info. Good luck!

Buzz Charlton: Buzz's Website
buzz@cmsafaris.com

Peter Chipman: Website, Click on Zambia
kwalatapeter@yahoo.com

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Here's a Zimbabwe crooc! he was 14 foot 6 inches with a foot and a half of the tail missing!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
having been to all those areas i gotta say that zambia is wonderful and you can see sort of what old africa was like. BUT it ain't cheap. I believe that i have gotten equal game in either place. zambia also has a couple of disadvantages such as the charter airfaire (cost us a couple grand), tetse flies abound, the daily and trophy fees are higher, but you can get some game you can't really come by anyplace else.(such as crookstens wildebeast and puku & kafue lechwe) but if you want plains game, zim is better. don't worry about the politics you will see some of the results of them but they won't affect you, and remember you are with a PH who is very knowledgable and safety minded. Zims daily rates are lower, and their trophy fees are less. all in all I believe zim will cost you about 2/3 what you will have in zambia. also if you pick zim, don't be afraid to miss a day hunt in moving areas. While buff, etc. are better up north, the south in the lowveld has much better plains game and leopard. Pick yourself out a good outfitter that hunts the whole country like jumbo moore, john sharpe, buffalo ridge (barry) or the like and you'll never have to look back.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
butchloc

Very well put! You put it right for both countries, I've hunted Zim a number of times, but one day I will do a safari in Zambia.

By the way, I think you meant to say Buffalo Range, not ridge.....

Hope to meet you in Reno!!

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be in Zim this July for Leopard & Buff..then to Zambia (July-2006) for lion. I'll be with John Sharp for both trips. butchloc great recommendations.. matter of fact this whole board has been so helpful in planning my trips..

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
This AR board really helps us all when planning a trip, or anything to do with hunting!

thanks again Saeed & Don!!!!!

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a web site for Buffalo Ridge? Barry?????

square shooter

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Looking at the costs closer...I just read over HHK's posted 2005 prices for their Zim concessions, and they are advertising a "Buffalo/Plains Game Hunt" for $850/day for 10-days. Plus TF of $2000 and $600 for d/p, plus charter (which as was said, is cheaper in Zim). A great hunt I'm sure, but not any cheaper then the buffalo hunts to Zambia I've seen. I don't recall HHK's previous schedule, but I seem to recall it was less and maybe for 7-days versus 10 (?). Of course other outfits will sell cheaper, but HHK does have the "lions share" of the DG concessions.

HHK 2005 Price List

So again, ask around, but don't assume that Zambia is more expensive then Zim for BUFFALO. Day rates for leopard, lion and collector plainsgame - absolutely. But most concessions have at least 15 buffalo tags and they need to sell these.

Cheers!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
IB will be going to Dallas will have photos of my hunt this past Aug in Zim...Will have cell with me and will show pics of hunt and camp..
570-262-9727....Tshabezi safaris was my outfit and they will be there also...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote