Find
Notify
Tools

What To Do With Trophies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
I currently have trophies being mounted in the States. I am heading for SA in April and am thinking about having the trophies tanned in SA and having everyting shipped to me for mounting at a later date.

Looking for some thoughts on this plan. If I go with this idea, what about "Quick Tan"?

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
JB, Your plan sounds good to me. Having the skins tanned will allow you to have the heads mounted when you wish. Great for the budget.
I had Kwiktan in South Africa tan a total of twenty capes a couple of years ago for myself and three clients. Out of the twenty, two impala were not mountable due to slipping. I contacted them via e-mail and they sent two replacement capes, plus a tanned impala back skin that was shipped short. The only cost was shipping from thier place in Florida to Dallas. They had also sent a pair of warthog tusks of mine that the PH had given him. I had lost the hog and after I left the PH found it.
I have heard of only one un-happy customer. Seems a BIG caracal that he had shot and skinned himself (he is a taxidermist like myself) came to him with NO legs! OUCH!
Other than that, I would highly recomend Kwiktan.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Jbout, that's what I did in 98 & will do again this year. It lets you do mounts when/if you want. I have a great taxi. in the SanDieg area for African stuff.He is reasonably priced, does great work & reasonably quick. Drop me a note if you want info.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That a great idea. Don't be surprised if your S.A.taxidermist says no. On my last hunt in 03 my very well known S.A. taxidermist would play no part in saving me money.

>

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I currently have trophies being mounted in the States. I am heading for SA in April and am thinking about having the trophies tanned in SA and having everyting shipped to me for mounting at a later date.

Looking for some thoughts on this plan. If I go with this idea, what about "Quick Tan"?

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

I'm the guy with the quadraplegic caracal!!

Go to post # 93856 on this forum (about being PO'ed enough to bite a nail!. You can find it by doing a search for "kwiktan caracal".

I wouldn't let Kwiktan wipe my *** with their hides! I know that statement doesn't really make much sense but I put it in here to emphasize how much disdain I have for that company!!!

Good luck and have a nice day!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you have to be positive and have realistic expectations when it comes to having your taxidermy work done in SA and then have the trophies sent home. If you have done your homework and you have a good booking agent and safari company, and if you pay for your taxidermy work up front or at least when the taxidermist sends you an invoice, you will probably be thrilled at what you get. But it cost some money and it cost money to ship the trophies home. In 2001 I shot 7 nice animals in the Eastern Cape and had a taxidermist north of Johannesburg make shoulder mounts of 5 animals, a skull mount of one, and he tanned a zebra hide and the back skins of the other animals and he did a geat job. One shoulder mount was a little tacky, but I love it. The lot was boxed up in a 5'x5' crate and shipped to Anchorage via Luxembourg. Plenty of taxidermist outside of Africa can screw up a trophy as easily as anyone else. Expense is just part of the game. I have never seen any place charge more for taxidermy work than Anchorage. You should identify a reputable taxidermist with the best information available to you, and then you should have a crystal clear idea of how much money it will cost to do what you want done, and if you are polite, steeley eyed, and pay up front, you will probably get exactly what you want. You'll have fun in SA.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote