Find
Notify
Tools

cz550 magnum durability
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted
I have just purchased a new CZ550 magnum.Is it as durable as the old bruno?

hamdeni

------------------

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hamdeni,
I'd guess it IS the same gun and therefore just as durable.
I understand that "Bruno" is somewhat of a generic name for all of the guns made in communist Czech Republic. So CZ sold their guns under the Bruno name. When the curtain fell CZ started selling products under their own name. That's why CZ sounds like a new company to us Westerners. I was told they've been around for a long-long time and built the majority of Bruno guns.

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brno is just the name of the city they are made in. The quality remains the same, this gun is almost undestructible.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by bobby van der Putten:
Brno is just the name of the city they are made in. The quality remains the same, this gun is almost undestructible.

Well, these ARE two different factories. Ceska Zbrojovka are situated in �hersky Brod, a town near, but not in, Brno. But they have some common background...

-- Mats

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
We are small country but we have more factories, "CZ Uhersky Brod", "CZ Vsetin", "Zbrojovka Brno" etc. Before revolution, guns was named "Brno" but was made more in "CZ Uhersky Brod" than " Zbrojovka Brno", if you are interested, visit www.czub.cz and www.zbrojovka.com for more details, but webs are not much actualized . . .

Posts: 2078 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri,

Can you pass on some comments?

The CZ550 would start outselling Remington, Winchester and Ruger if it included the following features:

1. 3 position Model 70 style safety
2. Bolt handle similar to commercial Belgian FN Mausers
3. American express style stock rather than European stock
4. Pachmyr brand recoil pad.

Just some helpful suggestions!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I own a springfeild M6 scout made by CZ and love it. it is verey accurate and made of stainless steel. I know that the Persian mausers were made by BRNO and they are verey accurate guns and well made. It seems that CheKs are not only good on brewing bear ,but verey good on making guns too. I hope that they make the modification on 550 model like that 500 grain has mentioned plus making the entier gun of stainless steel.
br
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pardon I made a misstake. I meant brewing beer ,pilsner ( birah) not bear!!?
forgive my bad english.
danny

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
500grains: CZ is now making CZ550 with american style stocks and on special order with 3 position safety, but I am not sure about bold handle and recoil pad you mentioned. They are not much flexible to market requierement

CZ 550 American :

http://www.czub.cz/detail/550ama.htm

[This message has been edited by Jiri (edited 06-02-2001).]

Posts: 2078 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Danny Pay: I study in Pilsen so I am near to "source". I love both, czech guns and beer, Is anything better than spend time at hunt with CZ rifle with Meopta scoope and then celebrate your quarry with your friends and Pilsner Urquell ? :]

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The CZ550/BRNO (same thing) is as tough as an anvil, and with the new stock style, it is a real buy! You can't go wrong with the CZ550. It is a sturdy rifle, has CRF, and if there is another rifle that is more popular with African PHs I have no idea what it would be. They are everywhere in Africa, and the chamberings you see in camps there are 30-06, and 375 H&H, and 458 Win Mag. You can't break one with a sledge hammer!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ550 is basically a very good gun and they shoot well...They are rough finished and the stocks are too bulky, but these are correctable problems...these problems are what keeps the price down...

I doubt that ANY production rifle and very few custom rifles will ever compare in quality to the old Brnos of the 60's and 70's specifically the 21-H and the 22-F for fit and finish..Thoes little double square bridge Commercial Mausers are the cream of the crop of bolt actions....polished rails, rust blue, accruate and inletted to perfection plus a whole lot more...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jiri
The BRNO guns are marked often with Poldi steel.Can you tel me what kind of steel POLDI steel is ? Some gun writers writen that it is a kind of stainless steel and some says it is just a normal cr mo steel.
can you tel the gun makers in your country to make the bolt action and those nice combination guns in stainless steel.
br
danny

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Dany : Poldi is company which produce maybe hundreds kinds of steel. I have here transfer table from Poldi to ISO and other standards. If there is kind or number of Poldi steel on your gun, I can tell you what it is. If not, I can't help you If you want, I can email to CZ and Brno and ask them . . . Jiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dany,
Judging from the way it blues and that is a "fair to middlin" calculator I'd say it is some form of chrome moly.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray and Jiri
The back ground of my qustion is an article in a shooting magazin in mid 70 concerning BRNO H 300 serie ( o/u shotgun+ combi 12/7x57R) .the writer claimed in that serie brno had used a kind of special steel called poldi which is stainless steel. I have never owned this model. the only CZ made gun i have is a m6 scout22/410 and it is made of stainless steel and is very ugly but amazingly accurate. i live in a country with humide climate and i hate to see my beloved gun rust away ,that's why i love it stainless.
br
danny

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Danny Pay: I found it . . .

Now, I will send email and ask them, which material they use

Jiri