THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The beginning of the end of hunting in Tanzania
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The beginning of the end of hunting in Tanzania
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mates, 2 points come immediately to mind:

1) the rampant corruption is not one sided - both sides participated enthusiastically.

2) 100k elephant disappear in the past 10 years - while Pasanisi controls half of the Selous (as they have done for past 40 years) and it’s all USFWs fault???

This is one is hard to refute.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
100k elephant disappear in the past 10 years - while Pasanisi controls half of the Selous (as they have done for past 40 years) and it’s all USFWs fault???

It might be worth noting that the approximate quoted figures are not confined to the Selous on its own nor Pasanisi's southern blocks.

It might also be worthwhile noting that conducting ant-poaching activities in such vast expanses of virtually inaccessible and uncontrollable wilderness is not exactly a guarantee in curbing poaching.

The Selous was therefore the most popular venue for ivory poaching since the beginning of time and gained momentum during and took off in earnest after oil exploration activities shut down.
Poaching spiraled out of control to a point where the Army had to be called in to clean up the mess (Operation Uhai); that was around 1990.

Almost 2 decades later when the market for ivory rekindled, poaching of Elephants was re-established and another sting operation was launched but due to "heavy-handed" methods deployed, was called off (Operation Tokomeza - 2013).

Imagine the situation in the Selous if there were no anti-poaching activities at all being conducted by hunting operators as was the case in some other areas.

Pasanisi and a remaining handful of other operators have been around for almost 4 decades if not more; is someone trying to say that they needed "scientists" to tell them how to manage wildlife?

USF&W will be the responsible party for closing hunting in Africa (starting point) and their aim is to stop the hunting worldwide, directly or indirectly.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
Pasanisi and a remaining handful of other operators have been around for almost 4 decades if not more; is someone trying to say that they needed "scientists" to tell them how to manage wildlife?

A tragic mistake was made by those in the hunting community who fought the pro hunting scientists.

These scientists supported responsible, regulated hunting as an essential conservation measure and their opinion was critical to directing uninformed public opinion in our favor (just look at the signatories of the Definition of a Huntable Male Lion). Fighting those scientists was illogical and ultimately has proven to be self destructive.

Uninformed public opinion on the subject of hunting is never going to be swayed by the opinions of hunters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

A tragic mistake was made by those in the hunting community who fought the pro hunting scientists.

These scientists supported responsible, regulated hunting as an essential conservation measure and their opinion was critical to directing uninformed public opinion in our favor (just look at the signatories of the Definition of a Huntable Male Lion). Fighting those scientists was illogical and ultimately has proven to be self destructive.

Uninformed public opinion on the subject of hunting is never going to be swayed by the opinions of hunters.

Lane,

Not sure of Packer had stayed or advocated Lion hunting it would have made a difference. Zimbabwe and Zambia are pretty much in the same boat and qualified research ignored.

What we need is the African landlords to stand up and their voice to be heard not ours. Maybe that will get international attention.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Will this new decision by USFWS have an effect on all of this? Ivory Importation "case by case" basis

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

Lane,

Not sure of Packer had stayed or advocated Lion hunting it would have made a difference. Zimbabwe and Zambia are pretty much in the same boat and qualified research ignored.

What we need is the African landlords to stand up and their voice to be heard not ours. Maybe that will get international attention.

Andrew,
It would have made ALL the difference in the world on imports into the USA. That is a fact I am 100% sure of. As I tried to tell everyone...like it or not...the USFWS was going to go with the advice of Craig Packer. We needed to make him (and Panthera) an ally (he/others was willing) not an enemy.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane:

Almost every predator, Lion & Leopard in particular but mainly Lion, are slowly but surely falling foul of illegal hunters who poach them solely for their body parts; a phenomenon which kicked in almost 2 decades ago and boomed a decade or so ago.

In hand with the poachers are livestock keepers who because of human encroachment, utilizing land which was primarily occupied by large herds of game in the form of Wildebeest and Zebra have interrupted the movements of these migratory animals, the primary source of food for Lions.
It is no wonder that the highest percentage of TZ Lions reside in the Serengeti and its hinterland.

Results? The Lions which reside in non protected areas beyond park boundaries are obliged to feed off the next living creature large enough to sustain the needs of a pride: domestic livestock, cows and donkeys.

End result? Mass poisoning where entire prides can be and are often wiped out.

By and large, legal hunters are normally responsible individuals who go about their business in accordance to professional ethics. The odd violation cannot compare with the destruction caused by poachers and irate livestock keepers.

As you well know, it does not necessarily require a hunter's bullet in taking out the dominant male of pride, opening the door to the next male to decimate the existing cubs; nature does its dirty work far more often than the bullet of an errant hunter.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane:

Almost every predator, Lion & Leopard in particular but mainly Lion, are slowly but surely falling foul of illegal hunters who poach them solely for their body parts; a phenomenon which kicked in almost 2 decades ago and boomed a decade or so ago.

In hand with the poachers are livestock keepers who because of human encroachment, utilizing land which was primarily occupied by large herds of game in the form of Wildebeest and Zebra have interrupted the movements of these migratory animals, the primary source of food for Lions.
It is no wonder that the highest percentage of TZ Lions reside in the Serengeti and its hinterland.

Results? The Lions which reside in non protected areas beyond park boundaries are obliged to feed off the next living creature large enough to sustain the needs of a pride: domestic livestock, cows and donkeys.

End result? Mass poisoning where entire prides can be and are often wiped out.

By and large, legal hunters are normally responsible individuals who go about their business in accordance to professional ethics. The odd violation cannot compare with the destruction caused by poachers and irate livestock keepers.

As you well know, it does not necessarily require a hunter's bullet in taking out the dominant male of pride, opening the door to the next male to decimate the existing cubs; nature does its dirty work far more often than the bullet of an errant hunter.

Fulvio,
You are preaching to the choir with that post to me...agreed.

Does not change the fact that we (including Eric) would have been better off with the scientists as allies...not enemies. It could have been done differently.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The non-hunting world lumps trophy-hunting with poaching. If one has not seen that phenomenon...one has not been paying attention.

Hunters are not going to convince the non-hunting public otherwise.

Scientists who could see the value of the habitat that hunting kept viable...could!

When we lost their voice...our (and African wildlife) fate was sealed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The non-hunting world lumps trophy-hunting with poaching. If one has not seen that phenomenon...one has not been paying attention.

Hunters are not going to convince the non-hunting public otherwise.

Scientists who could see the value of the habitat that hunting kept viable...could!

When we lost their voice...our (and African wildlife) fate was sealed.

True that my friend!

Folks, we didn't need to cower to Packer....but some compromise with the man would have gone a long way for our end game. Now....operators and wildlife are losing badly!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Combine all the above with the refusal to make the age inspections of exported lion trophies transparent and it discredited the entire process.

Keeping the age determinations and methodology opaque...simply proved to USF&WS that there was a serious problem with the ages of exported lion trophies that needed to be covered up.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania has been in a tail spin for sometime now, I started noticing it when they started escalating safari costs by large amounts, actually sooner than that but chose to ignore it more or less..as has everyone..

The US Govt. hasn't taken steps to help, they actually havn't taken steps to do a damn thing in quite awhile but infighting, they are pretty much broken, and that in itself is the death bellow of Africa in general..

Our president who I voted for and supported has acted like a chimpanzee, with his gun control suggestions and his support or lack thereof to the folks that put him in office and what is even sadder is he is still head and shoulders above his competition who were all antis..

Some of us were blessed with the Africa we grew up with, did business in, made friends in..I hate like hell seeing whats coming, and the last of the great hunting field...Whats that tell us? Why didn't he step in and help Tanzania and the whole of Africa..I remember when he shot his Lion, that was suspect for sure. Should have been a wake up call. A sad situation is upon us..and what shall we do? Ihave no idea.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Combine all the above with the refusal to make the age inspections of exported lion trophies transparent and it discredited the entire process.

Keeping the age determinations and methodology opaque...simply proved to USF&WS that there was a serious problem with the ages of exported lion trophies that needed to be covered up.

Lane is always the intellectual, that's why he and I gelled - cause I'm not! What he says is "true" IMO, but I think it went further than this - based on conversations I had with the Tanzanians in charge (I expect Lane will at least partially agree with this).

I believe that it wasn't just about whether or not the "age" of the lions taken was acceptable or not, but I think those in power in TZ took real exception to being told by the USFWS / others, that they had to have a 3rd party arbitrator, that they had to divulge the findings, etc....rather than the presumption being a "given" that they were following the rules - so to speak!

I understand that position as nobody likes the insinuation that one may be "lying or covering it up", but the fact remains that not being transparent lead the USFWS to seriously question the credibility. It could have gone a lot smoother, if TZ would have been transparent - regardless of the findings, and showed their full intent to work on "fixing" the situation. Which I honestly believe was / is there true intention....but taking "offense" to transparency was a bit of an immature move IMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Lane is always the intellectual, that's why he and I gelled - cause I'm not! What he says is "true" IMO, but I think it went further than this - based on conversations I had with the Tanzanians in charge (I expect Lane will at least partially agree with this).

I believe that it wasn't just about whether or not the "age" of the lions taken was acceptable or not, but I think those in power in TZ took real exception to being told by the USFWS / others, that they had to have a 3rd party arbitrator, that they had to divulge the findings, etc....rather than the presumption being a "given" that they were following the rules - so to speak!

I understand that position as nobody likes the insinuation that one may be "lying or covering it up", but the fact remains that not being transparent lead the USFWS to seriously question the credibility. It could have gone a lot smoother, if TZ would have been transparent - regardless of the findings, and showed their full intent to work on "fixing" the situation. Which I honestly believe was / is there true intention....but taking "offense" to transparency was a bit of an immature move IMO.

100%

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
When you’re dealing with greedy, corrupt , incompetent racist Marxists, how can you expect anything else?

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Tanzanian outfitters have by and large cooperated in conforming to the requirements as outlined in the Definition of a Huntable Male Lion.

It took some time to fine-tune but all in all the criteria is being applied/adhered to, so much so that the numbers of sport hunted Lion killed have dropped significantly and in most cases, when there is a lingering shadow of doubt, the animal is turned down.

Now, whilst there is convincing evidence that sport hunted specimen have dropped there is damning evidence that those being poached for body parts are on the rise, those that are systematically killed as a result of human encroachment are also on the rise.

Bear in mind that only those which are reported are known - imagine the ones that are carefully disposed of that never see the light of day; the carcass of a Lion will not last 10 minutes if there are several Hyenas about - no trace, no evidence.

I don't have figures on hand but the numbers produced by these two combined will far outweigh the tally of sport hunted Lions.

What solution have the scientists offered? What stance has USF&W taken in this respect?

Answer: NONE because the easy/only way out is to lay the blame on legal hunters!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania has the stringest lion hunting regulations in Africa! They should be congratulated for this and supported with ennabling trade conditions to ensure the protected areas they have set aside (by the way, amongst the highest in the world!) are able to sustain themselves.

Yet, these efforts are not recognised by FWS or anyone else.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Tanzania has the stringest lion hunting regulations in Africa! They should be congratulated for this and supported with ennabling trade conditions to ensure the protected areas they have set aside (by the way, amongst the highest in the world!) are able to sustain themselves.

Indeed Brother Mitch and your President would do well to take the likes of Trump head on. African landlords need to be heard and the current international policies are tantamount to economic sabotage and does nothing to address land loss and desertification.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:

Indeed Brother Mitch and your President would do well to take the likes of Trump head on. African landlords need to be heard and the current international policies are tantamount to economic sabotage and does nothing to address land loss and desertification.

These latter concepts I think are literally too complicated for him (and every other activist) to actually understand; that there is anything more to consider than simply the hunt. The world has gone reductive, and in doing so, has lost the wisdom found in nuance.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Fulvio,
I believe everything you posted is likely true.

That said...for many in politics in the US and also the majority of the staff (often referred to as the Deep State) of USFWS...it has NOTHING to do with what is best for the lion. It has everything to do with stopping hunting. They are true “Antihunters.”

They are NOT going to listen to your arguments. They don’t care. They would rather lion be extinct rather than be hunted by sport hunters.

That said...the voting public in the USA...is vastly neither anti or pro hunting. Thus if scientists believe in hunting as conservation and support it...voter support swings our way. Thus, political support swings our way. Losing the scientists takes the teeth away from the Antis in a significant way.

Hence, why I advocate for the coalition.

The USFWS staff (the 1000s in the agency that make up the work force - the Deep State if you will) consists of mostly ANTIHUNTERS. We let that creep up on us through decades of not watching.

That agency has taken on its own agenda. Unless it is checked by Superiors (Secretary of Interior-Zinke in this case)...it pretty much goes it own way.

We need public support to change that and we need the support of the scientists to get that.

Maybe you can try and see now why I advocate for scientists and hunters to work together.

J. Lane Easter, DVM