New
Find
Notify
Tools

Save or Bubye
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am starting to research a plains game (possibly buffalo)safari for 2012. I would like some feedback on these two areas. What to expect on animals (eland #1), topography, overall experience I might expect etc. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has been to both areas however that is not necessary. Thanks
Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is what you want- I hunted both the Save and the Chewore areas - not Bubye.

The Save has much more plains game than Chewore, and you will typically see multiple groups of different PG species daily. I was seeing Kudu, Impala, Zebra and Bushbuck on a daily basis on my first trip there- the second was after Leopard and we just whacked impala whenever we needed bait.

The public areas typically have better buffalo numbers but that may just have been my experience- I saw buff sign daily in Chewore, and while we hunted them, saw buff daily. In the Save, buff were a little more thin on the ground, but still numerous.

If I was going on a PG hunt primarily, I think I would go with the Save, as the area is private and the antipoaching efforts are probably stronger there.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been to the Bubye twice. Excellent Buffalo and ridiculous numbers of Eland. Maybe one of the last great Sable hunting areas in Zim. Great camps, topography and game selection. You will almost certainly see Elephnat, Rhino, and Lion. Poaching is very well controlled. If you go, think about Brent Hein as a PH.

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the Save twice. In the areas I hunted there was lots of PG. More eland than I have ever seen. Lots of buffalo.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BBB,

The Bubye as I understqand it is a very good area for the various Zim species but it would seem impossible to me for it to be better than the Save.

The Save offers all the indigenous species of Zimbabwe including the Big 5 plus white rhino and wild dogs. The trophy quality is excellent and the shear number of animals is amazing. It is not a zoo but with its very intense anti poaching I think it is an example of what the real potential is of very good game country in Zimbabwe.

We work with three outfits on the Save and prices very quite a bit on depending on a number of factors and what type of expereince the client wants but all offer great hunting and good value for the dollar.

Feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions about the Save.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both have everything you are after.. all comes down to where you'd like to hunt.. and you will see all the aforementioned species on BOTH places.. buff, ele, rhino, wild dogs, lion, etc...

I've hunted the Bubye (Lemco) as well as the neighboring Bubiana.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Bubye, hands down. One million acres, one operator, no restriction on where you may hunt to find your trophy.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
While I have yet to go to either, it seems to me the major differance is size. In the Save, you are limited to the number of acres under the control of your particular outfitter. As I understand it, in the Bubye, you have the entire conservancy.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bills, I have hunted the Save twice and Bubye three times. PM me and I will give you a "on the ground" opinion and some valuable information. I'm always happy to talk to someone about Africa and particularly Zim.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.mazungasafaris.com/mazunga-species.html

Attached are the Bubye statistics.

My husband hunted leopard and I hunted a variety of plainsgame in Bubye during 2005. Fantastic hunting and accomodations. A short 3 hour drive from Bulawayo on hard roads. Our friends, KB1 here on AR, went with us for buffalo,sable and plainsgame.

As previously posted, Brent Hein is a great PH and does an extensive amount of hunting in Bubye.

We think the world of Johnny Hulme who hunts the Save under Zambezi Hunters.

Regardless on which Conservancy you choose, you will have a great hunt. Best of luck.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, "Bubye" (Lemco, I think it's Charles Davies), Bubiana (Drummond), Touch Africa (Collett) are not one and the same thing. The old "Bubiana Conservancy", that used to comprise 6 or 8 farms, has been compromised, leaving only a few of the original farms intact. The plains game species are there on all of them, but NOT sable and NOT buffalo. I am pretty sure that only LEMCO has huntable buffalo and sable.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I've hunted the Lemco and Save and all I can say is... flip a coin! They are both great destinations for what you are looking for. The most important thing for you is finding an outfit you feel comfortable with and getting your hunt booked!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted LEMCO with David Amyot for PG when it was still double fenced with five camps and had a million acres. All the DG were in one area at that time but Buff were in several.
Four of us whacked all the PG we could afford including a 39" Livinston Eland and three 53" plus Kudu and a 12" warthog. Saw several Tsseebe also and the protected wolf and wild dogs. That was around nine years ago.

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your input. My good wife has informed me that next years holiday budget is to be spent on a tropical island in the Caribbean next winter. I really can't blame her, wouldn't mind it myself. So I guess the Zim trip is 2013. All the more time to plan and dream.

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, is "Bubye" the old "Lemco"? A much respected PH I know, Rodie Tourle, hunts "Lemco" and says it's still very good.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote