Find
Notify
Tools

CZ Safety Modification
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Been playing with the CZ safety, and when the safety is "off" and the bolt is opened and pulled back, the safety can be placed in the "on" position if it is "accidentally" knocked/pushed backwards. This was first brought to light to me by Wombat over on NitroExpress.com

When the bolt is pushed forward and closed, the safety lever moves foward by being pushed by a lug on the bolt body, but not all the way to the "off" position, and is still in the "on" position, preventing the trigger from being pulled (keeps the rifle from firing).

A spring loaded lever with a roller gets high centered on a "corner" of the plate that makes up the saftey. A slight nudge towards the "off" position gets the roller off high center and the safety moves tothe "off" detent.

Grinding off just a bit of this high point on the safety plate will fix this problem, if it considered to be one. Personally, when I push the bolt forward I want the safety "off" but everyone should decide for themselves how they want their safety to operate.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take it your talking about the 2 pos saftey, not the 3. I think I'll check mine to see what it does.

I have a 3 pos safety on mine, CZ style on the side, not the win style.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will,

Funnily enough I noticed this "problem" today while I was tinkering with my CZ...I can visualise the two cut outs the roller sits in, but I am not sure about the "corner"?? Is that the high point between the two cut outs? Any thoughts on how to make the safety quieter? I know it can be fairly quiet if it is moved "under control" with the thumb, but if you are not careful you do get a good metalic click...

I had my rifle apart to remove some wood in the slot for the bolt handle as the handle was touching the stock slightly when in the closed position...

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that the high point between the two cut outs?

Yep.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

Has anyone brought this to CZ's attention? Smiler

Do they have any thoughts on this matter?

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I brought it up to CZ today, but there is an alternative explanation. If for some reason the safety is pulled "on", on purpose, when the bolt is open, then there is a reason for the safety to stay "on", at least in part, rather than the saftey being "off" when someone thought it was "on" when the bolt is closed. This is probably what the factory was thinking, but they are going to check. It is too much of a coincidence to be otherwise.

In my own situation, I was piddling around at the range Monday and accidentally put the safety "on" when I opened the bolt and loaded the rifle. I went to shoot and couldn't pull the trigger. Yikes! This would not be a good thing if that happened in the heat of the battle.

So I modified mine (2, and 2 to go) so that the safety is "off" when the bolt is closed even if put "on" by accident when the bolt is open.

But to each their own. I am not suggesting this modification to anyone. It is just what I did. I never had this happen when I was hunting with any CZ 550 but I'm not taking any chances.