THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    For those who can't wait for my Hunt Report - some videos!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those who can't wait for my Hunt Report - some videos!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
OK, here are a few links to some videos taken on my hunt:

First up - my Kudu. Taken on the first day of my hunt, at about 0930 (about 20 minutes after I took my Impala - my first ever large animal hunted in my life!)

The kudu was estimated to be about 14 years old, and measured 130LH,138RH,29.5B (in centimeters) - one shot, straight on, perfect cervical spine shot that dropped him like he'd been pole-axed. Used a .30-06 Tikka M695 rifle, Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope with #4 German reticle, 180gr. Nosler Partition bullet, loaded with 55 grains of IMR 4350 powder - an incredible combination, I must say! Distance was about 50 meters.

Kudu Video

Make sure to watch in high-res. If you can do frame-by-frame, you can see the impact and see his chest flatten out as if he'd been punched.

Second up - Oryx! 91LH,89RH,21B in centimeters. Same stats on the rifle/bullet combo, taken at about 80-90 meters. I really like this video, and again in high-res on frame-by-frame you can see the impact, spout of blood, and as he goes down he gives us such a "WHAT THE FUCK?" look it is almost funny.

Oryx Video

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exellent shots Eric, and the old 30-06 still shine thumb
Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great videos, looks like you had a great time on your hunt.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Great videos. I really like all the background bird sounds on the oryx hunt. I don't know what kind of bird is making that call at the 40 second mark but it always brings back memories of Africa.

Glad you got to go and see it for yourself.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your comments - I was pretty stoked at how nice the videos turned out, given my inexpensive camera and my PH's lack of any filming experience Smiler

Here's another one - this is an amazing shot by my PH at over 400 meters, up a hill, with an old Remington .30-06 and a very messed up Leupold scope that was fogged, dirty, had a heavy German 3-post reticle with no crosshairs intersecting.

Baboons

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Here's my one shot that I felt a little bad about - even though my PH said it was a killing shot later, I was not happy with my first shot since the animal didn't go down immediately like all the others had. I must have slipped a little and hit him low, even though it broke his shoulder - the second shot was dead-on perfect on the spine, though, and he went down quickly.

Springbok

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Eric;
I was waiting Your report in other forum´s place, but I found here, Excelent shots !!!, that Kudu & Orix die on his feets, dont forget the full report with full details, Im thinking in get back to Africa soon, Maybe if I offer to Hunt Mr. Mugabe in ZIM, I will obtain some fees free!!! Regards, Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
John,

Let me say your shooting was great... Every animal will react differently to shots.. You made your shots... thumb

Welcome home and you are now an African hunter...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Very good. Congratulations.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats John....you are hooked for life now!

I can tell that you did not have any fun.......

I'll look forward to the hunt report.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

The "how's father" call is a Cape Turtle Dove. The other main species of Dove in Southern Africa are the Red-Eyed Dove (Don't let..the sun go down"); the Laughing Dove; and my favorite the Emerald Spotted (a descending series of notes du,du...du du du du du du ...)

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

Congratulations! Excellent shooting. Who says you have to have some ultra mag cannon to get the job done?

Thanks for sharing. We look forward to the whole report.

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric,

This is ALL OUTSTANDING!!!

This is TIME to take CENTER-STAGE....

I SALUTE you on a GREAT HUNT!!!

I enjoyed every second of the VIDEOS and it is SOOO Rodney!!!!grins...

I love it!

Aloha,

Ro

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guillermo! It will take me a few days to collect my notes and thoughts to do my hunt report justice. I loved how quick the oryx and kudu went down - the impala was just as fast, and I really wish I would have gotten the zebra on video better - my PH had the camera in great position, but my rifle was on his shoulder and when the shot went off the camera got knocked around by the recoil - LOL.

quote:
Originally posted by Guillermo Amestoy:
Eric;
I was waiting Your report in other forum´s place, but I found here, Excelent shots !!!, that Kudu & Orix die on his feets, dont forget the full report with full details, Im thinking in get back to Africa soon, Maybe if I offer to Hunt Mr. Mugabe in ZIM, I will obtain some fees free!!! Regards, Guille

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your kind words - I was very nervous about my shooting before I left, but heeded the advice of Geoff, my booking agent, when he told me NOT to hesitate and take the shot quickly - this left me with no time to second-guess and I am very happy with my shooting.

And yes, I am now an African hunter - and it feels like nothing else I've ever felt before!

quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
John,

Let me say your shooting was great... Every animal will react differently to shots.. You made your shots... thumb

Welcome home and you are now an African hunter...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
I knew I made the right choice on caliber, rifle, optics, and handloads when that kudu dropped like he did - wow, I couldn't believe that I was responsible for that guy going down so quickly!

quote:
Originally posted by Hugh W:
John,

Congratulations! Excellent shooting. Who says you have to have some ultra mag cannon to get the job done?

Thanks for sharing. We look forward to the whole report.

Hugh

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Roland! Yeah, Rodney really comes through great on those videos, eh? LOL.

quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
Eric,

This is ALL OUTSTANDING!!!

This is TIME to take CENTER-STAGE....

I SALUTE you on a GREAT HUNT!!!

I enjoyed every second of the VIDEOS and it is SOOO Rodney!!!!grins...

I love it!

Aloha,

Ro

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I will enjoy the report!

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric,
congratulations. Your shooting was great. You hunt was excellent. I haven't read the full report but I was impressed with your ph. He was a real pro. I hope that the bug hasn't bitten you too badly. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Well, the bug HAS bitten me, but realistically it may be some time before I can do this again, if ever. I'm quite middle-class in my income, and this trip was financed mostly from proceeds from the sale of a house.

Thanks for the comments on my shooting - it had me worried at first, but I feel more confident now than ever.

My PH was just great - young (only 23) but his father is a legend over there and he's taught him well.

quote:
Originally posted by kudude:
John,
congratulations. Your shooting was great. You hunt was excellent. I haven't read the full report but I was impressed with your ph. He was a real pro. I hope that the bug hasn't bitten you too badly. Kudude

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shots...

Once again showing that a .30-06 with 180gr partitions remains a very good choice for plains game as it has for decades.

You simply don't need to drive 200+grain bullets at 3000fps to kill african antelope! Nothing wrong with bigger but too many folks seem to think you need a .338 Ulta mag to kill kudu class game.

Well done

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt and some great shooting. I hope you left one or two big ones for a couple of the following hunters.....my son and I.... beer

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Oh trust me - there are some MUCH bigger ones out there that I saw AFTER I shot mine - LOL.

quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Congratulations on a great hunt and some great shooting. I hope you left one or two big ones for a couple of the following hunters.....my son and I.... beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Excellent shooting! All that preparation has clearly paid off. I don't believe that Springbuck was going anywhere. In fact, I'd wager that your second shot hit him just before he would've collapsed from the first one.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Well done Eric,
The problem now will be how to survive until the next trip. This is actually my problem......... Frowner

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done video. I have been waiting for you report as well...Very nicely placed shots. Nice to see the 06 piling them up...I have the 06 my dad bought me when I was 12 that is going along with my 300RUM....but I still have exactly 1 year until I go.

Congrats again on the shots.

BTW I had to find a freakin metric conversion online to figure out 54" Kudu and 35" Gemsbok great trophies!!!Very big congrats!

Posts: 88 | Location: Mt. Wolf PA | Registered: 17 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Give you joy at such a fine hunt. Nice shooting (and thanks for explaining the PH's expletive about recoil).

Nice to have your plan come together.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
LOL - he's gonna kill me for not editing that out - when we showed the video later that night at dinner, his mother's eyebrows raised up sharply at the expletive!

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Eric,

Give you joy at such a fine hunt. Nice shooting (and thanks for explaining the PH's expletive about recoil).

Nice to have your plan come together.

Regards, Tim