THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Personal safety while touring alone in Namibia?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal safety while touring alone in Namibia?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I feel a little odd carrying so much cash, but I uess most of the gas stations don't take credit cards. I'll have to find out if my ATM card from my bank will work over there, just in case.

Am I correct in assuming that most of these places don't take US dollars and/or Travelers Checks? I'm going to make sure all my hotels and car rental are all paid for before I arrive, so the only thing I'll need is money or gas, food, and souvenirs. Shouldn't be too much.

And I assume any bank over there can cash travelers checks and change US dollars into $N, correct?

quote:
Originally posted by Dulcinea:
Driving was a breeze, no traffic. Just remember, look both ways severa times before turning. Cash for gas, lots of cash. Put gas in 3 times, each time over $300N.
D

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John

Here how to carry money. There is a company called Eagle Creek which makes travel gear: packs, duffles, and other small items. They make a money belt out of black tube webbing with a plastic buckle and a zipper on the inside. I have put 12 one hundred dollar bills in the belt. Make sure your bills are brand new and in this day and age I would carry 1/2 of it in Euros Then wear worn safari clothes and a simple watch. No one is going to find that money unless you allow someone to see you open it up.

Get the Lonely Planet book on Namibia and they will have a section on money and where one can change it for the best rate, where ATM's are and what cards they accept, and what businesses take what credit cards. Lonely Planet has research the world so that there is no "off the beaten path" anymore. Just a world that is slowly losing its cultures and replacing it with a mono culture. I would not leave Windhoek without at least $300 US dollars in Namibia dollars. Running short of local currency can and will effect your trip. If you are very worry about robbery or theft here what world travlers do. Get a simple wallet and put 40 or 50 dollars and some Namibia dollars in too. Credit card companies send out invalid promotional cards which are not usable. Save the next one and put that in your wallet. This is your decoy wallet if robbed hand it over and leave. Your main wallet is stash deeper on your body or with a car under the dash.

Next trick. Always carry your passport and driver's license separate. Make a copy of your diver's licence and passport and carry the copy with the opposite original. Before you leave home scan your passport, divers license and other needed documents. I store my scans on my saved mail on AOL and always sign off any internet connection before leaving a terminal. If anything is stolen, lost or misplaced you can alway access them.

There is no wrong side of the road! I was in Franz Joseph, New Zealand on a rainy day 2 years ago waiting for the weather to break. James Scott was going to fly me into mountains for chamois and thar. I drove up to the parking lot and started hiking to the glacier and meet a young Irish women who lived in London working half in New York and half in London. We made it to the glacier and back to the parking lot and decide to have lunch in Franz Joseph. During lunch I complained about my dislike for driving on the wrong side of the road. She said "THERE IS NO WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD, IT IS STEERING WHEEL TO THE CENTER OF THE ROAD AND THAT IS THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD". I always remenber that and did not have any more touble.

After writing this I remenbered that in Chile one can rent a car or rent a car with a driver or rent a car with an English spreaking driver for abour $25 dollars a day. Check it out. Ask your PH or guest house in Windhoek or if the car rental agency has a driver available. Make sure what your obligations are about his meals and accomodations be friendly but become buddies. He is responible for you and to his employer. Let him drive and you enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Once more, Pard, I am in your debt - excellent advice. I just got the Lonely Planet guide and I do have a travel wallet that goes around my neck and under my shirt. But I think a money belt is a good idea.

I had been planning on making copies of everything, but your idea about scanning and saving in my email files (I use Hotmail) is a great idea! Thanks again.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote