New
Find
Notify
Tools

R-93 Blaser.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First off let me start by saying I am not an R-93 Blaser defender or foe. I have one that was traded to me for a debt. It's got a .300weath barrel on it. I've played with it a bit It's very accurate has a nice trigger, it's light as it's one of those full stocked synthetic ones. And it is a very compact rifle overall for having a 25.5" barrel. The rifle seems to me that it would make a great sheep and goat gun. I need to know if it's up to the task mechanically.

Here is my question. I've seen some negative leanings towards the Blaser on this site but it has all been opinon and no facts like "I hate them they're not real rifles". Or "They're complicated pieces of junk".

What I have not seen is any technical information or real world experiences and real problems people have had with them. Any of these real world non-emotional technical facts would be greatly appreciated. I really don't care if you like them or not. What type of problems do they have?

I am a dyed in the wool Model 70/M-98 man. And I like Searcy doubles as well. I am trying to figure out if I'm going to keep this little "Glock rifle" or trade her off, any technical input would be appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One of the poster here NE450#2 has a Blaser with several barrels. He likes his rifle. You might email him and get his input.

If I had one given to me, I'd keep it!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
I have used the synthetic stocked version in 375 as my primary rifle on a number of trips to Africa. Both it and I are still in one piece and functioning properly (to the best of my knowledge in my case anyway ). I will be taking it back on the second part of my lion hunt in a couple of months in all probability.

If you will check my former posts you will see that I love vintage British double, bolt, and single-shot rifles. I do use these as well, but for a light, reliable, and accurate "tool" for African and North American hunting I find myself reaching for the Blaser more often than not.

I too have a 300 Wby barrel, and carried it for a hunt in Namibia to switch to for the longer shots there after using the 375 barrel in Zim on a buff that same trip. It made for a great combo, and was lighter and more compact than two rifles. This allowed me to use a two gun take-down case to save space and weight (I didn't have a Tuffpak at that time, and the take-down size case was better for the charter flights).

I also have a wood stocked Blaser in 270 Win that I use a good deal for hunting at home, and it is the most accurate 270 that I have ever owned (and I have owned some very accurate ones over the years).

The only fault that I have found (at least for me) is that the length of pull is a bit shorter than I like. I remedied this by changing to a thicker recoil pad on the wood stocked version. On the synthetic stock I use a slip-on leather covered recoil pad, and it works just fine. I believe that Blaser makes spacers for the synthetic stock, but they are apparently not imported into the US. I would love to find one of our European members who could get one and ship it to the US .

As you can tell, I like the Blaser R93, and make no appologies for using it. I don't care that it doesn't meet everyone's definition as a dangerous game rifle. I have had fewer problems with it than some of my PH's have with their Mausers and Winchesters on these hunts. No. I am not saying that it is a better rifle than the 98 and M70 (I have and use these with great success as well), but I am saying that it is a viable alternative at least for me.

I am certain that the "Blaser Bashers" will be out in force soon (where are you Johan?), but I thought that you might like to hear a positive slant on the subject as well.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one that shoots great. I've read extensively about the problems with them and have yet to see what that has been conclusivly proven that it wasn't the fault of a bad reload in the accidents I have read about.
Saeed did some good tests that to me seemed to show that they don't handle overpressure gas as well as some other actions, so I would tend to be conservative on my loads.
Otherwise I plan to enjoy mine. I bet you will too.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I like them and they've performed well for me. I just developed a load with 286-grain Nosler Partitions for a 9.3x62 barrel with a 1.5-5X Leupold Vari-X III in the Blaser QD mount, and it reliably shoots into 1/2" at 100 yards. I'm taking it to Africa this year.

I've gotten similar performance from a .22-250 and 7mm-08 barrel. I haven't worked enough with the .416 RM barrel to report reliably on it. I have the standard and Safari synthetic stocks and the four barrels mentioned above.

In combination with my .308 and .376 Steyr Scouts, the Blaser system forms my "working battery."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Hey surestrike,

Here is a link to a description of a real world Blaser snafu. They may be OK for plains game, but definitely should be avoided for hunting dangerous game and never use 'hot' reloaded ammo in one.

http://209.221.146.133/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000131

This report is from a real elephant hunter not a wannabe. It is first hand and not someone's opinion or telling of something someone else told them. I know this person well, as he is the German translator for African Hunter magazine.

Also, the first quarter of this year there was a news report of a shooter in Germany who got a Blaser bolt blown through his head. The Blaser apologists claim he was using reloads in his .300 Weatherby version. My experience with the .300 Weatherby is that it is pretty hot from the factory as is. I don't know what the police report confirmed, but as for me, if even half of these negative reports are true, I could never have the confidence to trust my life with this gun.

Your mileage may vary, and I wish all those 100,000 plus R93 owners long lives and prosperity.

Alan

Posts: 1099 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Surestrike,

I'm also a Blaser R93 user with 2 barrels in .338 WM mainly for African Hunting and one in 9.3x62 (for hunting at home for deer and wildboar) and I am very satisfied with the gun - as already mentioned VERY good accuracy, very fast reloading (faster than my 98 in 7x64 or my Ruger Magnum in .416 or my Weatherby in 6.5x68), very good trigger, very low scope mount and very good stock design - the rifle fits me perfectly and especially the 9.3x62 has become my "one rifle gun" which I tend to use for everything

Other nice things is the take-down feature (smaller case for travelling), the option to change barrels (but I would not overestimate this since the cost of the barrel + the need for an extra scope will add up to nearly another complete gun, but it saves you space in your gun safe ) and the surface protection - rust is virtually unknown.

Would I use the Blaser also for DG-hunting? Well, I don't know. I've also heard a few stories about not being able to reload after one shot, but last year I meet two guys who hunted successfully buffalo with their Blaser in .375 H&H and didn't face any problems. But in my personal case I had the chance to get a Ruger Magnum in .416 Rigby at a very good price (the price was similar to getting a new barrel and the front stock piece and the recoil decellerator for my R93, but without a good scope), so I grabbed the chance and never regretted buying the Ruger.

One thing which I don't like is the low weight of the gun / the action - they use alumium and polymers, but I would prefer if you could get a steel action.

As summary - the R93 is just a gun, I like it, but I also like my other rifles - they are mainly tools for hunting.

Best regards,

Erik

Posts: 175 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The reputation of the Blaser 93 rifle makes me worry about Blaser's products. People either love or hate these rifles and they have had some bad publicity, blowing up with hand loads and a recall because of a faulty trigger mechanism. I'm sure that you have read about all of this, as it was a big deal in the German hunting magazines. I also worry about the straight pull design's ability to extract "sticky" cartridges. While this is not a problem in cool climates, it could get you killed in Africa.

It nearly got me killed!! In 2001 I used a Blaser R93 "Safari" cal .458 Lott on my tuskless hunt. On the 10th day of the hunt at long last we approached a tuskless cow, which we had followed for several days. She was about 50 yards away, standing nicely broadsides. All around us were ele, we couldn't see them due to the dense bush, but we heard them alright! My first shot went into her heart. I expected her to run away or to fall down. But instead she just turned towards us. "Shoot her into the brain!" my PH, Evans Makanza, advised.

This I tried but she had her head partly obscured in a tree so my shot went somewhat low (As a hunter always have a good excuse at hand if you don't hit right!!) "Shoot her again into the brain!" Evans said. But the R 93 blocked. I couldn't move the bolt handle. Assuming that a cartridge was stuck in the chamber I tried to kick open the lock with my heel. Didn't work but alerted the other ele to our presence! And three screaming cows attacked us. Evans downed the tuskless with a quick shot into the brain and shot into the sand right in front of the attacking cows. And then we ran!!

At home I tried to reconstruct what happened: to shoot the loaded R93 you have to push a safety-like contraption forward. Than you can shoot and if you operate the bolt handle the lock is automatically cocked again. Only in my case the retaining pin which is operated by the trigger obviously didn't catch the lock and did not cock it again. And if the Blaser is not cocked you can't move the bolt handle. This seems to happen quite oftenly with the R93 if you use heavier calibers (416 and above) Mr. Stoscheck, Blasers sales manager, admitted so in an e-mail. It also happened to Mr. Kloebel, the new Blaser CEO, when he did some shooting on a shooting range.

Also, blaser victim:

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Zylinderverschluss/R93-Unfall-Norwegen.jpg

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

On the synthetic stock I use a slip-on leather covered recoil pad, and it works just fine. I believe that Blaser makes spacers for the synthetic stock, but they are apparently not imported into the US. I would love to find one of our European members who could get one and ship it to the US .
Jim

Jim,

I could try and get a synthetic spacer for you if you want. If I remember correctly there are 3 different space lenghts. I will look up tonight if I can find it in the Blaser catalogue, otherwise I will check on Thursday at my local gunsmith and Blaser dealer.

Best regards,

Erik

Posts: 175 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good bit of experience with Blaser R93 rifles. I have used them in conditions from extreme heat to extreme cold. I have used them in an open jeep in extremely dusty conditions. I have never had a single failure of any kind. After many thousands of rounds fired I still have all my body parts intact. The R93 is one rifle you can just buy and don't have to dick with. The trigger is excellent as well as the accuracy. You can switch calibers with ease and have the same feel and trigger pull. If you are stupid they may be too complicated for you. If you have average intelligence you will do fine. The elephant story has one glaring mistake. The R93 does not have to be cocked to open the bolt. Possibly operator error like becoming familiar with your rifle before chasing elephants? I like a lot of different rifles but when it comes down to making the shot count I will usually be packing a Blaser. To some they may be ugly but to me they work and they work well. Here's a pic of mine. Until somebody comes up with the proof that they explode on their own I will happily keep using mine.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I have one that gets used as a company loaner (with Swarovski scope). It get's all kinds of abuse throughout the year gets chucked into hunting trucks etc and it continues to shoot as straight as a die and never gives me ant hassle whatsoever....... They might be ugly, but as far as I'm concerned, they're a good strong reliable rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
500Grains. That picture of a Blaser victim, surely that is not a Blaser that he is holding in his hand?
Peter.

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used my Blaser r-93 for 6 seasons now and I haven't had a single problem so far. I got barells in 6.5x55, 308 win, 300 wsm and 9.3x62 and they have all been very accurate (sub MOA). So I'm very pleased with my gun, but it's pretty boring as it just keep on working without any tweaking or anything. Because of this I'm going to get myself a new custom project.
My feelings towards the Blaser is very similar to what i feel for a Stainless syntetic, they just work but there is'nt any TLC put into them
Henrik

Posts: 81 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

500Grains. That picture of a Blaser victim, surely that is not a Blaser that he is holding in his hand?

Peter.

The gun in his hand is not blown up, so obviously it is not the particular rifle that bit the man's face off. Yet it was a blaser that bit his face as I understand it.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey surestrike,

Here is a link to a description of a real world Blaser snafu. They may be OK for plains game, but definitely should be avoided for hunting dangerous game and never use 'hot' reloaded ammo in one.

http://209.221.146.133/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000131

This report is from a real elephant hunter not a wannabe. It is first hand and not someone's opinion or telling of something someone else told them. I know this person well, as he is the German translator for African Hunter magazine.

Alan

Alan,

Guess that makes me a "wannabe, not a real elephant hunter", and the buff and leopard (plus the lion that I hope to shoot soon) deserve an apology for my having shot them with a rifle that is not suitable for dangerous game.

We have known each other for a good while, and I consider you a friend whose opinion I respect, but to tar everyone who uses the Blaser with the stigma of "wannabe" dangerous game hunter is unfair. The Blaser may not be your idea of an ideal DG rifle, but neither are many other rifles that have been used successfully over the years like Sir Samuel Baker's large bore single shot muzzle loader or W.D.M. Bell's 256 MS or 275 Rigby). Does this make these hunters "wannabes" as well?

As for the reported accidents with the Blaser I cannot comment about these, as I have no first hand information. I could say that a lot more people have been seriously injured in accidents with M98's and M70's than Blasers, but that would be the same type of sensational reporting that has been done to the Blaser, since it does not take into account all the circumstances (vastly more 98's and 70's produced and used, bad handloads, use of unsafe actions for high intensity cartridges, just plain old user error, etc.).

I am sorry if my response seems harsh, but I think that we know each other well enough to agree to disagree without it straining our friendship. Guess that I won't ever see any of my opinions in African Hunter now . Too bad, as I have though about submitting an article or two .

Best regards,

Jim the Wannabe Elephant Hunter

<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

I am certain that the "Blaser Bashers" will be out in force soon (where are you Johan?)
Jim

Jim
I'm looking over your shoulder "Basher" Thanks for that one Blaser trash I'm happy that you guys buys IKEA rifles (blaser r-93) Soo that the excellent Mauser m-98 are easy to find for a low price

If you got any old commercial mauser 98 "trash" please send them to me

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Well it didn't take Bozo the clown long to show up for the circus.

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

I am certain that the "Blaser Bashers" will be out in force soon (where are you Johan?)

Jim

Jim

I'm looking over your shoulder "Basher" Thanks for that one Blaser trash I'm happy that you guys buys IKEA rifles (blaser r-93) Soo that the excellent Mauser m-98 are easy to find for a low price

If you got any old commercial mauser 98 "trash" please send them to me

/ JOHAN

Johan,

Take your choice, and tell me where to send these junky old things .

Jim

<JOHAN>
posted
mbogo375

I would like to get some more information before I decide

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might have been a Blaser person but for my first (AND ONLY!) experience with one of their "salesholes".

The first year they came out I was in the market for a left hand .338 Win. Mag. Just a very few days before an outdoors show I was going to I happened to read about them for the first time. It just so happened Blaser had a booth at that show and I approached it seeking more information. No available literature should have been the first indication of preparedness. To keep the story short, the experience was so damned miserable that I bought a Browning and will NEVER consider a Blaser in the future.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a Blaser R93 in 375H&H for about 5 years without any problems whatsoever. Accuracy was great, and I admit that I was able to fire off multiple shots fast then I used to be able to with a regular bolt. I also liked the de-cocking "safety".

However, I recently sold the rifle without the accidents really having anything to do with it. I just happen to have decided that I prefere M98 actions. The Blaser is just to "over-engineered" for me, and I prefere things to be simpler. The accidents though weren't exactly an incentive to keep the gun, when I had first decided to sell it anyway!

Some gunsmiths I've talked to have a theory that the reloads that went wrong were actually underloaded . To a degree that the powder didn't fill the the case enough, igniting all the powder simultaniously both front and rear. Which created far more pressure than a "normal" hot load.

The guy on the picture is a Norwegian who has been in "all" the magazines up here. The reason he is holding another rifle is that he now swears to never us anything but a traditional bolt action again. The Blaser he was shooting was in 8x68S loaded with 78 grains of Norma MRP powder and using 196 grain bullets. The "underloaded" theory has come up because MRP is to volumous to overload with.

The gun is still with the police undergoing tests. The german blown up gun was in 300 Wby, but I don't know any more details.

Erik D.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Oslo, in the naive land of socialist nepotism and corruption... | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Erick, the underload topic comes up on a frequent basis. The only problem with that is nobody to my knowledge has been able to duplicate it under laboratory conditions. Personally I think the underload theory it be an urban legend much like the exploding Blaser urban legend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Erick, the underload topic comes up on a frequent basis. The only problem with that is nobody to my knowledge has been able to duplicate it under laboratory conditions. Personally I think the underload theory it be an urban legend much like the exploding Blaser urban legend.

I guess that this guy's right eye was just a legend too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please tell us how you know all the facts not just a picture. What load was he shooting? Was he wearing shooting glasses? Do you know the shooter? What scientific evidence as to cause do you have? Give us the details so we can be better informed. Inquiring minds want to know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry I was wonderin' when you would step in. By the way that was some impressive loading room.

Posts: 188 | Location: Northern, Tennesse | Registered: 19 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I have had a Blaser R-93 for about 4 years and really do like it. Probably the smoothest trigger of any gun I've shot and its overall feel and fit is excellent. I have 3 barrels for mine, a .270, .338, and .375. I use the .270 during our long Georgia whitetail season and I used my .375 in Zimbabwe last fall where it performed flawlessly. You'll see it in the signature pic below with my buff. The gun is extremely accurate. The only thing I would do differently with mine is that I should have gotten the safari barrel with iron sights on my .375. I did check with Sig Arms about a month ago and learned that sights could be added by them for just over $200. I may do that if I decide to add QR rings to the gun, which it currently does not have.
My next safari will be in '05 when I'll be hunting a lion in Tanzania. I'll have a double rifle with me on that trip, but my Blaser should also again get plenty of use.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Art, How's things going. It's too windy here today to go shooting so I couldn't wait to join the Blaser slugfest. Good way to pass the time between hunts.

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Spring,

The light weight barrels are now available from Sig Arms with open sights. The price is about the same, if not identical, to the plain barrel, but these sights are not the same as the Safari weight barrel sights. I got one of the new barrels last year, and the sights are fine for short range (out to 100 yards or so) use, but a bit coarse for longer range, This is fine with me, as they are adequate for the purpose that I would be using them for. This allows me to keep the weight down compared to the Safari model, and I really appreciate that for carrying in Africa on a hot, dry day .

We need to get together for a little shooting and bull-shooting session some time.

Jim

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
M16,

As I said in my above post, the "underloaded" theory is just what some gunsmiths have thought could be a probable cause.

As for the guy in the picture, I see you doubt 500grains info. I suggest you should read my above post again. The load I wrote is what the shooter has said he used. his name is Jan Sorli and is 41 years old, and lives in Oppegaard, Norway. The accident happened on the 16th of August 2003. His situation is NOT an "urban legand". He has about 200 stiches, has had multiple operations. He still hunts, but has obviously had to go over to lefthand rifles.

The picture is from a Norwegian magazine called: Villmarksliv (nr. 3/2004), and has been used in other hunting mags up here. The text next to the picture basically says:

"Maimed: Jan Sorli (41) is marked for life after the accident in august last year. He now vows to only use traditional boltrifles. (foto: Thor Olav Moen)"

Hope this clears things up a bit!

Erik D.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Oslo, in the naive land of socialist nepotism and corruption... | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Yes, Jim, we do need to get together soon. Have you yet put together a trip report from your safari a month or so ago?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Erik. My remark was pointed at 500 grains because I doubt if he knows anything more about the incident than I do yet he is posting pictures of the unfortunate gentleman. I guess you could call me a skeptic as I don't believe everything I hear or read. I'm still looking for the scientific evidence before I make up my mind. I realize you are passing on information but the underload theory to me is highly doubtful. It should be easy to duplicate the load he was using in a lab and measure the results. Sounds like a case of using pistol powder instead of rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sounds like a case of using pistol powder instead of rifle.

Please post your scientific evidence for this. Inquiring minds want to know.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am an R93 user of many years standing and am on record with many posts on this forum (and elsewhere) in praise of this rifle system. Both of my R93s perform flawlessly and with great accuracy in all five of the calibers I use: .375 H&H Mag; .338 Win. Mag.; .308 Win.; 7mm Rem. Mag.; and .25-06 Rem. I have said it before, and others in this thread have said it as well, so I will not belabor this rifle's many virtues.

I have been troubled by the reports I have seen on this forum, and from other sources, of several accidents involving Blaser rifles over the past decade or so. However, I have seen nothing anywhere that definitively lays the blame for any of these accidents on the rifle's design; rather, in all cases I have seen, the blame--or, at least, suspicion--has been cast on the ammunition used. To my knowledge, this is true in all reported cases where governmental or industry authorities have become involved and issued written findings.

Only authoritative proof that the rifle's design is at fault will do for me. I am not convinced by internet rumors or personal opinions, which may stem from malice or anti-competitive or other unworthy motives. I am not convinced by the unsubstantiated assertions of an accident victim that he used only factory loads or that his handloads were "safe." I have fired far too many rounds of ammunition through my rifles to be swayed by any of that.

God only knows how many rifles of every action type, including bolt actions, from other makers have been blown up during the last decade. I would venture to say that the number worldwide is in the dozens, if not the hundreds.

Anyone who fires several rounds of vastly over-proof loads (or even one normal load with a soft case head from improper annealing) in any rifle, is taking a huge chance. With each pull of the trigger, that person is holding a potentially life threatening disaster in his hands.

It has been said that the Mauser design and its derivatives are safer than the R93. So, what does that mean? Is it impossible to blow up a Mauser and suffer horrible wounds to one's eyes, face, hands, arms and other body parts? Let me assure you that it has been done. A sufficiently negligent person can blow the extractor off of a Mauser's bolt and explode its receiver ring, burst its barrel and splinter its stock, and do great harm to himself in the process. But, as with any otherwise safe rifle design, this requires the use of the "wrong" load or loads.

Ultimately, everyone must make up his own mind what is safe enough for him. For me, until I see some real proof to the contrary, the R93 is plenty safe enough and I will continue to use mine.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Please post your scientific evidence for this. Inquiring minds want to know

I read it on the internet. What more evidence do you need? You of all people should understand.

Here is a picture of a pulled bullet from the suspect load that was in the article.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all I'm suspicioius of anything that I read over the internet including "scientific proof".

I find it suspicious that our first hand account of the Elephant hunter with a jammed R-93 was using a 458 Lott, a cartridge that the Blaser Website doesn't list as one used in the R-93. Could he for example have stuck a lott case in a 45 Blaser Chamber? Could it have been an incorrectly rechambered barrel? I don't know for sure whether or not they have ever had a factory barrel made for the Lott, but they don't list it now and I doubt that they have. There's more to that story than has been written.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen.....

I thank you for your input it is much apreciated and taken into account.

Does anyone here have a definative report on what exact part or parts failed causing the bolts to blow out. And as far as the extraction problems/bolt throw problems I'm not really sure that was a sticky extraction problem in the classical sense (though I'd have to say it would be pretty academic with a herd of elephants decending upon you). What is the definative cause of that problem as well.

Inquiring minds who don't want to lose an eye would like to know.

Thank you

Surestrike.....

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim,

No worries our friendship is intact. I don't expect anyone to agree with everything I say or do. I just used 'not a wannabee' phrase to differentiate that this guy had actually used his R93 to take an elephant, and it was not directed at you personally. Sure the R93 can kill dangerous game, in fact PH Richard Cooke loves his, but it has too much baggage for me to ever put my money in one.

Also, Hans made a typo in his e-mail and it should have said .416 Remington. His other big bore rifle is a .458 Lott but it is a custom Model 70. The Blaser he used that jammed was a .416 Remington. I asked him about that when he was first telling me the story, but since it was over a year ago, I had forgotten that detail.

Anyhow, anyone who pays the money can take their chances, but take a good look at the poor guy with one eye and then take another good look at the link name that 500grains posted. Says R93, doesn't it? Here is another one from the same website:
R93-Unfall-Deutschland.jpg

Apparently a German victim, as the first one was a Norwegian (R93-Unfall-Norwegen.jpg)

All you guys are fully grown and will do as you will, with or without my approval. I don't care if what I say harelips every cow in Texas, but I know you can buy a hell of a lot more gun than what they are asking for a Blaser R93.

Alan

Posts: 1099 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I had dinner at Chirisa in Zimbabwe last September with PH Richard Cooke, and you're right, he certainly does love his R93. He has a .416 on his and uses it reguarly for his absolute favorite game--lion hunting. He also uses it regularly for buffalo, and like me, has no problems with it all.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Starting with this post, I think I'll change my occasional practice of pointing out the absolutely unproven nature of any and all Blaser R93 design-defect stories I have so far read about here and elsewhere.

I don't think I'll bother.

Instead, I think I'll just allow all of this nonsense to proliferate and drive down the price of the R93 on the used rifle market.

Then, I'll buy up as many as I can afford.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the gentleman who Mr. Bunn refers to as having a chunk of his face bitten off by a Blaser.

I don't own a blaser.

I have never shot a blaser.

I do not sell a product that competes with blasers.

But I have to wonder why there are so many reports of blasers blowing up. Even Remington does not have this much bad press surrounding it.

Why doesn't Sig weigh in on this?

I once loaded a 6.5 cacarno up with a full case of bullseye and then gave it a barrel obstruction. The magazine box popped open and the stock cracked,but the gun did not blow. A friend worked on it a while and actually got the bolt open.