Find
Notify
Tools

Got my new neck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys,

I got my neck fixed, got home from the hospital today. I´m a bit sore but my neck moves and I´m in a lot better shape than I thought I would be! I didn´t get the old model surgery, they gave me a prosthetic disc which should give me more movement.

My bone carpenter shot next years hunt out of the water though -the prosthetis in my right knee is coming loose (osteolysis on the tibial side) and my left one needs work -metal- so we decided on fixing them both at the same time in the spring.

But I should be in great shape for 2010! I had to cancel 2009 but this way I just might be able to save up for a lion or a second leopard...

My docs didn´t not sh-t about shooting but they said I could get back to normal after six weeks -with discretion.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the knee, but good news on the neck.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that the procedure went well. Good luck with your recovery and your knee.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Get well soon. No Lott, eh? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Cewe,

At least you will be fixed and ready in 2010 I suppose another good thing for you having so much time on your hands now is to write some extra ! Enjoy thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well wishes. I´ll stick to my silenced -and heavy as sin- 6.5x55 for the rest of this years hunts. I think I´ll work my way up to the bigger calibers and go by feel...and hope/pray for patience...

These neurosurgeons sure are good, I only have a small cut on my throat, no big scars like in the -70´s!

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
What type of disc was it ? They gave me a mesh bag of bones injected with bone marrow from my hip. said all went well and in a month i should be functional. still no word if i can hunt or not but with this pain i have no intentions of rushing it. He did say it may be a year or more until i can bow hunt so my 2009 safari may be with the rifle, but at least i should still be able to go .Glad to hear yours went well. guess we will both be watching from the sidelines for a while. I am hoping when cleared i can use my 30-06 right away. least ways the pain pills are good eh ? prayers are with you on a speedy recovery.
cheers
ej
pm me and we can compare notes , i d be interested in how our 2 different countries drs. operate. Thanks

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ej: I had a cervical C6/C7 discectomy and a prostetic disc, they didn´t give me any of the fun pills when they released me as I don´t need them! The pain was gone more or less pronto, I can turn my head in any direction and if it was up tp me I´d be hunting next Saturday.

As I see it I´ll be able to shoot quite normally in six weeks time, that is up to 30-06 level.

What did they rearrange in your neck?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hang in there, stay positive and you'll be healed up and haired over in no time! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We may need to change your call name to

"Bionic-cewe"

Glad to hear the medical community is turning miracles into daily events.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you're on the mend. I suffered for the better part of a year with L4-L5 back problems. Had the epirdural series and have been virtually 100% for two years now.

Sometimes when you're going through it you wonder if you'll ever get better. But before you know it you'll be back in the bush where we all belong.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new lease on life! Give it the time it takes to heal properly. You'll look back at those off days as a great investment when you're hoisting that "Old Toad" leopard up for a picture Wink Wink Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Bionic-cewe" has a ring to it!

I reckon the guy doing my cremation will be making some bucks on scrap metal...

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just get well. The hunts will still be there, and you want to make sure that you are available and healthy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cewe- Canceling hunts is the absolute pits. Hope everything works out for you. And, for the rest of you, go hunt every chance you have; you don't know what's around the corner. I too had to cancel a Wyoming deer & antelope hunt this month due to a medical scare. Just got the results yesterday on lab work and CT scan for prostate cancer testing. Turned out everything OK. But, my primary care doc was concerned about some urinary bleeding. I was going to go anyway but the other half of the corp. nixed it, even though I was taking her with me. Thankfully this was nit last year before our trip to Namibia. Turns out this episode was a false alrm. I am going up to Juneau to hunt goats in about 10 days. I had already determined that I was going on that hunt come hell or high water. I will be hunting with Bruce Parker, anyone here know him? I met him a couple of times at SCI Shows in Reno and had heard good things about him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
olguy: Nice hearing that it was only a scare. Today I´m having coffee with my brother, he was dg:ed with toncillary carcinoma a year ago and has been sick for a year now. He´s keeping his spirits up though and he actually shot a whitetail 2 weeks ago!

Sometimes I start thinking about what might be arround the corner...then I just quit ´cause ain´t nothin good comin´ out of that. banana