Find
Notify
Tools

Future of hunting in Botswana
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted
I noticed several folks who, in various recent postings, mentioned either living in or hunting in Botswana, shakari for example. A recent Hunting Report article mentioned that the incoming President of Botswana had vowed to end hunting in the country. What is the current thinking by you all who are in the country or hunt there?

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met the Vice President about two years ago while on a trip to Botswana. Ian Khama is the son of Botswana's first president. His mother was a white British citizen and he has been educated in England. He comes off more like an English Aristocrat than a Black African. I wouldn't be shocked if he tried to ban hunting, although Botswana is a democracy and I am sure there are many in the government who value hunting and would oppose its end.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The folks I worked with nr. Ghanzi have caved in...they are only going to do photo safaris in future. Fortunately I have found a good replacement destination in the Tuli Block, and the best news is that he has Ele available as well...both exportable and PAC.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2929 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
He can try, but there are native conservancies that depend on the income from the hunting quota. Not to mention, the safari operators, game ranch owners, and all that are connected with it.

I think the hunting industry is too large in Botswana and contributes too much to their bottom line.

Then again, it is Africa and all reason can be discarded when it comes to politics.

If Botswana really wanted to manage their resources well, this country would quickly become the "New Tanzania". Their quotas are ridiculously low (except for Elephant). They could easily double their income from hunting if they would simply make objective decisions on game management and allow a reasonable, conservative quota.

Time will tell.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
This came up elsewhere recently, and whilst I have to say that anything can happen in Africa, I don't think it's very likely. If IK wanted to ban hunting, he could easily do so now...... in fact, it would be better for him to do it before he actually took power as he'd have someone else to blame for the large subsequent loss of employment and hard currency. - Hunting incidentally, is the 3rd highest earner of hard currency in the country.

Some have suggested the recent Lion ban might have had something to do with IK's anti hunting beliefs, but I reckon it's much more likely caused by some concession holders overshooting their quota and then writing some off as PAC or similar...... Pretty much the same as last time.

As far as the elephants are concerned, Botswana is actually introducing more/new types of permits to allow more Elephants to be taken. Botswana Elephant hunts have never been cheaper. We're offering two new kinds of (bull) Elephant hunt now. One is a package hunt for US$10K and the other is a PG and/or Leopard hunt where you pay a daily rate and can take multiple Elephants at US$5K each. Haven't posted all of it on our website yet, because our bloody webmaster has disappeared off on vacation.

But as someone else stated, time will tell.