THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Thanks to Kathi Klimes for help with Safari-in-a-Box!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks to Kathi Klimes for help with Safari-in-a-Box!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Folks
A month or so ago I had asked for help regarding a "talk" with my little girls kindergarten class. I got a lot of helpful info and also I got an offer from Kathi to borrow her SCI chapter's Safari-in-a-Box. My wife and I talked to Kathi and finally set a time up to borrow the box, Kathi on her own time and with her own money had the box shipped to our house. We set up a time with the teacher to show the class the box and the rest as they say is history. We spent over 3 hours showing these kids the different skins, skulls and other items in the box, let me tell you folks something, they absolutely loved it, I mean they really, really, loved it. We would pass an item around and tell the kids something about it and then let them say something about it and then ask any questions about it.
We finally had to end our presentation but we left the box with the teacher for another week. She prepared "lessons" each day around the box, there were suggested lessons in the box. Anyhow she ended up showing it to all of the other kindergarten classes too! The day we went to pick the box back up the librarian (who had heard about the box) asked us if we could do a presentation to the 4th grade classes and maybe the other grades as well. Unfortunately we needed to get the box shipped back to Kathi as we had had it for almost 3 weeks. We told her we would try to get the school their own box.
Now, as a result of this, the teacher is interested in attending SCI's AWLS program (American Wilderness Leadership Program). I think this will be an excellent way to educate these kids in nature and conservation. It amazes me at how misinformed people are when it comes to wildlife.
I really want to thank Kathi for all her help and guidance in regards to this whole experience. We really appreciated all her phone calls and e-mails and help in making this project happen. It turned out way better than we ever dreamed was possible, these kids ask us about "The Box" everytime we see them. This whole experience has shown me that one person can make a difference, that one person here was Kathi Klimes and our heartfelt thanks go out to her. One simple, unselfish act from one person (Kathi) has snowballed into something that has touched the lives of hundreds of kids and adults. All of the teachers thought SCI was just about hunting and killing animals, they didn't know about all the conservation efforts that are done, they know now.
One last thing, I would encourage every single person who reads this to get involved in educating these kids, teachers and adults. Not only is it fun but it's also a great way to share "our" side of the story and maybe get some of the myths and misperceptions about wildlife put to rest. Just yesterday I had a guy (who is a hunter!) tell me that wolves are almost extinct! Remember, one person can make a difference. Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful story! Thanks certainly to Kathi but also to you and your wife Joe. Great job!
Gary

Political correctness entails intolerance for some prejudices but impunity for others. James Taranto

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Kathi and Goose joe... Job well done...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cheersA SUPER STORY!!!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote