New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip insurance?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for suggestions on trip insurance for a family vacation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used RipCord through Steve Turner and Travel With Guns. They cover everything and IMHO were reasonably priced. Don't think Steve would recommend them if they weren't good.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I bought Travel Guard once. The brochure looked great, then, when I asked MANY TIMES for details of exclusions I was sent 33 pages of exclusions. Never has been worth it in my book. What I rather do is this: have a good working relationship with my PH with the understanding if I get ill or injured, or there is problem with flights, I can work out a hunt with them directly. Travel insurance is fine if you're going to Disney Land but the cost to insure a 40K$ elephant hunt is prohibitive.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy Travel Guard, had to use it once in SA when my wife broke her ankle and had to have surgery before coming home. Best money we spent on that trip.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2894 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I bought Travel Guard once. The brochure looked great, then, when I asked MANY TIMES for details of exclusions I was sent 33 pages of exclusions. Never has been worth it in my book. What I rather do is this: have a good working relationship with my PH with the understanding if I get ill or injured, or there is problem with flights, I can work out a hunt with them directly. Travel insurance is fine if you're going to Disney Land but the cost to insure a 40K$ elephant hunt is prohibitive.
Cal

The EXACT reason why I've never bought it....Exclusions.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny,

Had a client get hammered by a buffalo this last season. He thinks Travel Guard is great and I agree. They took care of absolutely everything. I use it myself and think it is a bargain.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Isn't there a difference between medical evacuation insurance (Medjet, Global rescue, etc.) and "travel insurance?"

I buy the medevac stuff. (Global Rescue)- even if there are some issues, I or my heirs can fight with them after the fact.

Travel insurance has a lot of exclusions. I really doubt that they would offer a replacement policy for government actions (shutting down hunting, etc.)

I doubt that they would have paid for my Tanz trip last year for the elephant portion that occurred after the good folks at USFW got in the act.

Now, it works well for replacing airline flights, but I won't believe that they will chip in if you have to cancel a hunt due to terrorism or the government of whatever shuts down hunting, or your outfitter absconds with the funds...

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

I personally only buy the medical part and that's what my client had. I don't know all the details of trip cancellation. I refer clients to Shawn at Gracy at Tracy Travel because insurance is part of her expertise and not mine.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
When I went to Benin my wife got insurance for that through SCI. Can find out if you want.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I purchase Travel Guard.

Especially for the medical insurance that is offered.

When you purchase airline tickets 6 months to a year in advance, things can happen that you probably should think about.

What happens if you are in a car accident or have to have an emergency surgery that make traveling impossible.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Basic difference is that for the medical insurance such as ING or AXXA or similar your life have to be at risk for them to pay your stabilization and ligistic cost to bring you back home, I understand GR is the same.
If your life is not at risk or you are in danger of loosing a limb they will not pay.
Where as a medical insurance for one specific trip can cover any medical expenses such as any type of flu or disease that will not endanger your life but needs treatment.
I have global rescue but also buy the insurance for this medical risks with AMEX. correct me if I am wrong please.

Posts: 142 | Location: Hidalgo, Texas /Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: 12 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ment your are NOT at risk of loosing a limb they will not pay.

Posts: 142 | Location: Hidalgo, Texas /Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: 12 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Global_Rescue
posted Hide Post
Global Rescue here. To correct a previous poster: we provide services from the point of illness or injury all the way to your home country. Our triggers for field rescue and medical evacuation are: (i) the need for emergency medical care to avoid serious injury, death or impairment and/or (ii) the need for hospitalization. For security emergencies, it’s the threat of imminent harm or an embassy declaration. Over the last decade, we’ve helped hundreds of hunters and outdoorsmen by delivering lifesaving services, no matter how remote their location. You can read some of these stories on our website: https://www.globalrescue.com/t...l/testimonials.xhtml. Our commitment to hunting has resulted in us becoming the official medical and security evacuation provider of every major hunting organization, including SCI, DSC, HSC, GSCO and WSF.

In addition to evacuation services, many hunters rely on our medical and security advisory services on their hunts. If something goes wrong, our teams of paramedics, physicians, our partners at Johns Hopkins Medicine and our military special operations veterans are standing by to advise and deploy to you anytime of the day or night. Members can also download our proprietary GRID destination intelligence reports so they’re informed about the risks they might encounter in the field.