Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Money wire transfer ???
 Login/Join

posted
Was glad to hear that trophies were done and ready to be shipped from Namibia. Having great difficulty getting bank(s) to wire $$. They all seem to want a routing # which Namibian bank claims to not have. They have branch code and acct. # and claim that others from the US do so without difficulty. Are we dealing with bozo's at the bank or is this S.O.P.? Any experienced help or advice appreciated. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I have wired money to Namibia there has always been a SWIFT code for the receiving bank. The information I give to my bank has been: the name on the receiving account, account number, branch code, bank name, physical address of receiving bank, and SWIFT code. If you have the other information, the SWIFT code may be what your bank needs.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MCM300:
When I have wired money to Namibia there has always been a SWIFT code for the receiving bank. The information I give to my bank has been: the name on the receiving account, account number, branch code, bank name, physical address of receiving bank, and SWIFT code. If you have the other information, the SWIFT code may be what your bank needs.

Good advice, this is correct. Some USA banks also require a physical address for the beneficiary.

ckr - the bozo is at your bank. Over simplified, the routing number is a USA banking thing, in Europe an IBAN number is typically required and the rest of the world uses the SWIFT system. They should know this and should really be able to advise you accordingly.

Make sure about what they charge for a wire transfer.

Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
MCM300 is exactly right. The SWIFT Code is what you're looking for, along with the other info listed.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with the above post. Have wired money numerous times to Namibia in amounts from $2K to $10K, and never had a problem.

Need the recipient name and account number, then the bank identifier (Name) and SWIFT Code and physical address for the bank. Sometimes they ask for a branch identifier/code but not always.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have made many,many WT's to Zim,Zambia and So. Africa and the Swift numbers are a really screwed up system and not always available nor understandable by the US banks computer systems. The Swift number may apply to the major bank in the country which will recieve all funds transferred and the number the branch gives you may not always be recognized by the sending bank in their system.I primarily use Chase bank which is a rather large bank and they routinely had trouble with transfers to some banks. So. Africa particularly comes to mind. It can be irritating at best.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
this is no suprise, american banks are becoming notoriously difficult to deal with. I have a long standing relationship with a bank here and just about got in a fist fight trying to get them to wire funds for my moz trip. Use to just take an e-mail to my lady with the wiring instructions and it was done. It's not just wiring funds either, construction funding used to be done in a matter of a day or two now your lucky if it is done in a month.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ckr

quote:

You may also need the physical address of the safari operator. They asked me for all the above and the safari operator's address just this week when I went to wire funds to Botswana.

Good luck!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
ckr

quote:

You may also need the physical address of the safari operator. They asked me for all the above and the safari operator's address just this week when I went to wire funds to Botswana.

Good luck!

Mark

Me too, was wiring funds to South Africa this past week and it was the first time they ever asked for the physical address. Had everything else, SWIFT #, Account # and Branch Code. Luckily transfer went thru without physical address, bank said that it was many other countries' requirement not the US.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
did 2 transfers this morning. all my bank needed was the SWIFT code, account number and branch code, plus obviously the name of the receiving bank and the name on the receiving account. whole thing took 10 minutes for both transfers. your bank is jerking you around.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Buyer Beware!!! I had problems wiring money to R.S.A. It disapeared? My Bank told me the bank in Africa can say they did not receive the money and you eat it!!! The money was gone for 5 weeks!!! They finally cancelled the transaction and I got my money back!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
how can a bank claim they didn't receive it when an electronic receipt is generated? 10-12 transfers over the years and no problems( knock on wood!!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not use a credit card instead of a wire transfer? Just asking.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
most African outfitters and taxidermy companies won't take credit cards. plus the card company will charge a transfer fee plus a fee to convert the dollar amount into the local currency

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CKR - as others have said it is most likely the SWIFT code that you will need to get from the Namibians. It could also be an Intermediary (USA) banks' details if they cannot deal direct with the Namib bank but if they supply the swift code then that should be the only extra thing you need.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest reason to wire and not use a credit card is the upcharge. A wire transfer can be done for around $50.00 on average. The upcharge which the outfitters wont absorb is around 10% of the total. So you see it can 700 upto 20000 depending on the hunt It is actually much easier and cheaper to wire the money. Never had a problem doin it. You might have to explain to your bank how to do it though. A lot of banks in small towns just dont see international wirer transfers. As to the earlier question as others have said you must have the swift code.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I have sent money to PHs, taxidermists, and freight companies via Moneygram and never had any trouble. I think the last time I sent a moneygram was US$4,000.00 to Windhoek. The fee was around $20 or $25 and the recipient got it within hours of my sending it. BTW, you can also send it to yourself. This might be preferable to having to carry travelers cheques or huge amounts of cash.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our bank is based in Puerto Rico and if anyone can screw things up it is Puerto Rico. Once we had to sit in our banks office and call the bank we were sending the money and let the two officers work it out, on our cell phone,of course. Our bank wanted things that the receiving bank said they had never encountered: finally got everything sorted out and we saved the transfer form for future us

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote