THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Bringing wine into the USA as passenger baggage for safari show

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing wine into the USA as passenger baggage for safari show
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
Sorry this is off-topic but it relates to a Safari Show. I need a quick answer. Maybe some of the American hunters coming back from South Africa can answer from personal experience. If they have brought wine back this year or last year from South Africa.

Can say a couple of magnum (1500 ml) bottles of wine be carried through US Customs without any problem?

Any volume limit before duty is applied eg 1500 ml per person? Two magnums is 3 litres.

I want to send one or two bottles over to be carried by a friend. As a gift.

(some background - sending wine to the USA unaccompanied is very difficult. Due to the terrorist scares around the world, the USA enacted various controls on foods and drinks from entering the USA (ie potential poisoning scares. Exporters must go through a long process to get import licences into the USA. eg it is impossible just to post wine to the USA like it is to 99% of the rest of the world. Really my opinion it is just a trade restraint but Wink )

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have brought Brandy ,wine and licqeur from South Africa ,quite a few times now and have had no problems,never magnums,but no more than 6 bottles.My wife has taken Magnums to Brazil with no problems.
The only advice to give you is to smile,declare the value low enough and say it is for a friend.If they dont stop you in Australia then I dont see you having any problems.
johan

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought back wine in my luggage and didn't have any problems. I think I declared it but can't remember at this point bewildered bewildered

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have brought back bottles of liquior for my mother in my carry on bag and had no problems.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

I found the following Here (converted to HTML):

Nonresidents who are at least 21 years old may bring in, free of duty and internal revenue tax, up to one liter of alcoholic beverage—beer, wine, liquor—for personal use. Quantities above the one-liter limitation are subject to duty and internal revenue tax.

In addition to federal laws, you must also meet state alcoholic beverage laws, which may be more restrictive than federal laws. This means that if the state in which you arrive permits less liquor, wine, or beer than you have legally brought into the United States, that state’s laws apply to your importation of alcoholic beverages for personal use.

[URL=(Link to original Word Doc)]http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/visitingtheunitedstates.ctt/visitingtheunitedstates.doc[/URL]

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers.

I should have known carry-on "duty free" wine has no problems except for the quantity.

I think the show is the Las Vegas show in February.

Usually carrying a small amount extra isn't a problem at least when I have booze and stuff. As long as one doesn't overdo it. Two magnums are not small however so I will have to see if my friend can handle them in his luggage!

Thanks again.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

I have not brought back wine from SA, however I have brought back a case from each of my trips to Australia. I believe that a case is over the limit. I declared it and have had no problems on several occasions in Los Angles and San Francisco. The case box was setting in plaing view on the cart with my luggage.

Kind regards
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
... however I have brought back a case from each of my trips to Australia. I believe that a case is over the limit.

Carl

Always good to see an enthusiastic wine connoisseur!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once brought back a case of Castle in cans and 6 bottles of some Windhoek Lager. When I left SA and my bag was x rayed I was asked what it was.

Beer, says I

Beer? Don't they have Beer in America?

Yes, but not in Canada. beer

Us Customs never blinked when I told them what I had and I didn't bother my Canadian friends with the information. Big Grin

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote