THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Maps of Hunting Areas: Help Offered & Help Requested.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maps of Hunting Areas: Help Offered & Help Requested.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
I firstly thank Terry Carr for the maps that he has posted on this forum, and also others who have posted some Africa Hunting Area Maps here.

Does anyone out there know of a source of downloadable ArcView compatible data of any African, but particularly Zimbabwean, hunting areas? For those who do not know all the technical lingo, please just ask for so-called "shapefiles", ie. files called "Filename.shp". Another, a bit more difficult for me to use, is the so-called "E-double-O" files, like "Filename.EOO".

Any help or leads to such ArcView coverages? Any data on the different hunting concessions and national parks in Africa, but particularly in Zimbabwe?

I can offer quite good maps and data to 1:50000 scale for the whole of South Africa on a non-commercial basis. Just tell me what area you are interested in.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try ESRI's (the creators of ArcGIS) home site. I know they have a lot of data on Africa, probably would be in their social boundaries or conservation units files.
http://www.esri.com/

The *.e00 files are the Arc export files, and should be seeing less and less of those nowadays since most of the common GIS software brands include either coverage or shapefile translation programs.

Another idea that should be fairly simple, though a little time consuming, would be to print the maps Terry provided and digitize those, or even import those into Arc and register them based on the coordinates of the the sample maps already in Arc. All you need is 4 points...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't have what you need.

But I'll take the opportunity to ask for any sorces of topo map information on the Selous, and bring your post to the top.

Thanks,

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Last year I bought a Namibian map by Infomap,take a look at InfoMap site, it was interesting because it has the gps coordinates. They sells also online.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Omnimap has some maps of Africa including digital maps.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote