New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mozambique Niassa in September
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone enlighten me on what to expect for weather and hunting conditions in the Niassa in mid September. I'm trying finalize what to take for clothing & gear. thanks, 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool in the morning warm to hot in the day. Head net against mopane bees and avon against tsetse fly. Anti malaria Meds. Others depend on what you hunt and were.

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
+1 for Avon skin so soft against Tsetse flies.

Warm clothing for the early mornings and evenings.

Who are you hunting with?

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 706 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
September will be cool to warm. so plan on a lite jacket or pull over.

I like to treat my long sleeve and full pants clothing about 2 weeks prior to going and it will usually last for a 14 day safari.

Second i like to take a light thermals along to wear. Believe it or not it helps you keep warm and cooler as the day progresses. Besides it is a good way to keep ticks off you if they are tucked in. I have found that the fly's are not able to bite through 2 layers of clothing.

Take a head net and gloves. above is covered some repellants to take along. I have found that taking garlic tablets before and while on safari helps me in warding off pests insects. Or maybe bugs just find my blood sour. LOL

Visit with your travel doctor or nurse and take the prescribed medication for the country you are visiting.

I also get prescribed and take along a 10 day antibiotics course just in case you contact tick fever. If i do not need it i leave it with the PH.

If you have a tendency to walk around bare footed. Take along medications for hook worms. Your travel doctor will know what to prescribe.

If you also like to wade or swim in the river or lakes near camp, their are medications that you probably should take along. again ask your travel doctor.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DONT GO WITHOUT SKIN SO SOFT FOR THE FLYS

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have spent much of the past 3 Augusts there. Occasionally I wear a light sweatshirt for morning drive. Then always hunt in shorts and light shirt. Mid-80's is a nice day, mid 90's is hot. Most nights in the 60's to 70. It will obviously be warmer in Sept and I hear much of the month can have highs of 100. It will be dry and the PH's I know there all say Sept in a fantastic to hunt most species ( not the best for cats).

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been to the travel doc. Got a shot for something I needed(can't remember what) took the typhoid drugs for a week, have a script of malarone and Cipro to get me thru the 2 weeks. Really just trying to figure out the minor details now like gaiters yes or no, what hat, back up boot / camp shoes, etc etc. I think I'm going w my Sitka light weight long pants, Cabelas long sleeve safari shits, light weight heat gear undergarments, light jacket. Can come out of the under garments if need be. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Sam

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Sam - base layer- under stuff will honestly be a waste of space. It will be warm to hot and you are not going to want 2 layers.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kambaku
posted Hide Post
One thing that I found that you have to watch out for with the nice light weight synthetic clothing is the over zealous camp staff who like to iron your clothes with irons that are way too hot for the material. Sure you'll look nice, but what you often end up with are iron marks or worse holes in the pants and shirts. The new lightweight clothing is fantastic, but I find that if you have a little soap you can wash it out in the shower and hang it up to dry for another day. Cotton will likely not be ruined by overly hot irons. Just a word of caution.

Posts: 60 | Location: Indianapolis, only because that's where the check came from! | Registered: 21 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey - had any good hot dogs along with the g&t?? Big Grin

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I find it depends on where in Niassa?
Blocks to the east such as A, B & C are quite low in altitude and are always quite warm and dry out into good hunting conditions faster (late July). where as further to the south and west it is higher in altitude, takes longer to dry out and gets quite cold in the evening (places like Lichinga can get down right freezing!).
In general September is a good hunting time in Niassa.

As for Mozzies, I doubt I would have seen more than a hand full in the nine or so months I have been there over the past several years. Now, not the case at Lake Malawi though...

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Sam - base layer- under stuff will honestly be a waste of space. It will be warm to hot and you are not going to want 2 layers.

Was thinking the 2nd layer might help protect against skeeters n fly bites.

I've never hunted in shorts? Would be concerned about the bug bites?

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I don't think you have to worry about mosquitos in Sept. In the area we hunt, the tsetse flies aren't too bad. You will get a few bites, but no big deal. I have heard certain areas to the west are as bad as anywhere in Africa.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
163bc,

I personally don't wear shorts but I absolutely agree with Tim that a second layer is more hindrance than help. Sept/Oct can be some of the very best hunting throughout southern Africa but when the the temp hits the high 90's and into the 100's your not going to want any underwear. There will be a few Tsetses but a couple of squirts of the spray Skin So Soft will help with that.

Have fun!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
163bc,

I personally don't wear shorts but I absolutely agree with Tim that a second layer is more hindrance than help. Sept/Oct can be some of the very best hunting throughout southern Africa but when the the temp hits the high 90's and into the 100's your not going to want any underwear. There will be a few Tsetses but a couple of squirts of the spray Skin So Soft will help with that.

Have fun!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I haven't had results that I would call "good" with Skin so Soft with Tsetses. The stuff always worked stellar in Alaska for all those pests, but Tsetses…not so much.

Oh, I agree with your assessment on the clothing part.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Note I wrote "will help" Personally I have not found anything that works 100% against these little bastards.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok so the consensus is no 2nd layer under garments even if they are the synthetic moisture wicking stuff to stay cool?

Skin so soft is a must have.

Head net a must have.

What about a thermo cell for the tent??

How about gaiters??

What do you guys that have hunted Niassa do for carrying water during the day??

Other suggestions?? Getting down to the final planning stages Leaving Sept 10th. Thanks in advance for all the solid advise. 163bc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Doubt they will let you travel with the butane refills.
Would absolutely be great if you can.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 163bc:

What do you guys that have hunted Niassa do for carrying water during the day??

Other suggestions?? Getting down to the final planning stages Leaving Sept 10th. Thanks in advance for all the solid advise. 163bc

Can't say I've hunted Moz, but during hot Texas dove hunts, I've got a coozie from Texas Hunt Co that snaps on my bird belt. Very handy for keeping a bottle of water.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Camelback Ambush (wide) is the absolute cats meow for carrying water and a few extra things like spare ammo, 1st aid stuff(very important) in my view, camera, energy bars, hydration powder, flashlight, knife etc. It has ample but not excessive room. It's in the tactical section of their web site. The trackers always carry water, but I prefer to drink along the trek without having to stop the group and dig out the water bottles. Thus I stay hydrated and don't get to the point of overbearing thirst. Check out the 1st aid posts in the African travel Forum for additional info on this subject.

I try to carry things I absolutely feel important each day, sometimes it changes a bit, based on what the plan is for the day, and don't depend on others to provide this. Have a great Safari.

Gaiters and Skin so Soft a must have.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry,
The thing to be cautious of when using a Camelbak or any other shoulder strap type hydration device; If you shoot with it on, it will significantly change your LOP. Either practice and be aware or just drop it when it's time to close the deal. A tracker or water boy will pick it up without being asked.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Never worried about bug chemical sprays or water bottles (Tracker will carry enough water).
For Gaiters I use breathable cotton work sock covers to keep stuff out.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:

Doubt they will let you travel with the butane refills.
Would absolutely be great if you can.

Anyone have any insight on this?? Anyone traveled with one before?? If I took it I would simply carry the thermo cell & refills in my checked luggage. Or is it simply a waste of space and extra weight??

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Butane is a compressed flammable gas and therefore strictly forbidden on an commercial passenger aircraft by the Air Navigation Order, Carriage of Dangerous Goods Act but you could maybe arrange for your outfitter to get some locally and have then in ready & waiting camp for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi 163bc,
A few things,
1) Camelbak's are really great but I've also found that they also increase your water needs because one tends to get sweat alot more wearing one. Kind of catch 22.. but rather get one.
3) If it's going to be hot or you plan on long marches very helpful is sort of rehydration "supplement". Camelbak make effervescent tablets , that come in a tube, and simply dissolve in a bottle of water OR get mini gatoraide sachets (in various flavours)
Gives that much needed extra bounce in the stride when needed!
It is especially important to use a supplement with the added exertion, extra perspiration (heat) and added water intake to replace lost nutrients. Doing this will keep you operating at your optimum :-) Better to be proactive than reactive.
I've experimented and experienced the effectiveness on numerous occasions.
2)I agree with Steve over the Camelbak and it increasing the LOP. I've seen a someone double tap a double unintentionally and didn't know till he broke the rifle to reloaded. His finger just barely touch the front trigger on a snap shot which then slipped off and onto the rear trigger. The camelbak pipe got between the rifle butt and the shoulder strap of the camelbak.. and further increasing LOP.
Suffice to say first bullet hit the mark and a very important lesson was learnt!
I'm not too sure about the effectiveness of repellants but I do know they can eat gun finishes, plastic or rubber so be careful to rinse your hands after application. It will eat away things like print on your gps buttons, rubber on your binocs etc etc.. same applies to sunscreen.
Anyway all the best and Good hunting

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kambaku:
One thing that I found that you have to watch out for with the nice light weight synthetic clothing is the over zealous camp staff who like to iron your clothes with irons that are way too hot for the material. Sure you'll look nice, but what you often end up with are iron marks or worse holes in the pants and shirts. The new lightweight clothing is fantastic, but I find that if you have a little soap you can wash it out in the shower and hang it up to dry for another day. Cotton will likely not be ruined by overly hot irons. Just a word of caution.

Good old fashioned cotton is best but whatever you choose, I strongly suggest everything you wear can be and is always ironed properly because if it's not, the bot fly can lay it's eggs in the damp material and the larvae can then hatch out and bury itself into you.

Bot fly removal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve for the tip/reminder. I have been wearing the pack everyday and have practiced mounting a gun on my daily treks. Haven't actually fired the gun from this position, the one I am taking to Moz is out of touch for recoil pad install, but will do so in the next week or so.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
Hi Larry,
The thing to be cautious of when using a Camelbak or any other shoulder strap type hydration device; If you shoot with it on, it will significantly change your LOP. Either practice and be aware or just drop it when it's time to close the deal. A tracker or water boy will pick it up without being asked.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOWO - Good points you make. I run the Camelback drinking hose out through and over the left strap, thus not interfering with my right shooting shoulder. Thus only about 1/4 inch additional thickness on the right side. Camelback Ambush doesn't have padded shoulder straps. I shoot the rear trigger first on my double, eliminates the "double tap" tendency.

There are a couple of good water supplements out there, Camelback and such. Just make sure if you put them in your Camel bladder that they don't contain sugar. Makes it really hard to keep clean. I usually just go plain water in the Camel and have the mixed stuff in a couple of bottles the trackers carry.

Skin so Soft does not contain Deet, which is the stuff that eats up your goodies. SSS also doesn't cause much or an irritant if you happen to get it in your eyes.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Wowo:
Hi 163bc,
A few things,
1) Camelbak's are really great but I've also found that they also increase your water needs because one tends to get sweat alot more wearing one. Kind of catch 22.. but rather get one.
3) If it's going to be hot or you plan on long marches very helpful is sort of rehydration "supplement". Camelbak make effervescent tablets , that come in a tube, and simply dissolve in a bottle of water OR get mini gatoraide sachets (in various flavours)
Gives that much needed extra bounce in the stride when needed!
It is especially important to use a supplement with the added exertion, extra perspiration (heat) and added water intake to replace lost nutrients. Doing this will keep you operating at your optimum :-) Better to be proactive than reactive.
I've experimented and experienced the effectiveness on numerous occasions.
2)I agree with Steve over the Camelbak and it increasing the LOP. I've seen a someone double tap a double unintentionally and didn't know till he broke the rifle to reloaded. His finger just barely touch the front trigger on a snap shot which then slipped off and onto the rear trigger. The camelbak pipe got between the rifle butt and the shoulder strap of the camelbak.. and further increasing LOP.
Suffice to say first bullet hit the mark and a very important lesson was learnt!
I'm not too sure about the effectiveness of repellants but I do know they can eat gun finishes, plastic or rubber so be careful to rinse your hands after application. It will eat away things like print on your gps buttons, rubber on your binocs etc etc.. same applies to sunscreen.
Anyway all the best and Good hunting