Find
Notify
Tools

The 8 Yard Rule
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
As a takeoff of "500 grains" question about shooting stuff at less than 10 yards, if you pay attention to PH's, the recalled hunting tale usually concludes with that they or their clients are always dropping any DG, shooting charging DG, shooting anything mean at 8 YARDS!!

There must be something magical about 8 yards.

[ 10-10-2003, 03:06: Message edited by: Will ]

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Not magical. It is just the length of the tape measure.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, there is this great void of space where nothing is shot, they are either shot at less than 10 yds. or they are shot at 400 to 500 yds. Either way it was a one shot kill. [Wink]

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I never hear anyone talking about 7.2 metres ???

It must be an American/Imperial thing [Razz]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8 yards? by the time I get 8 yards from them I have killed them several times over...or I am walking up to a dead or near dead one...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
8yrds? Not that a man would exaggerate. [Wink]

Considering that a man's ruler is marked 1,2,3,7,8,9 [Big Grin]

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Boss,
I thought that was inches? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
anyone who on their first (or 2nd/3rd) safari drops a charging DG at 8 yds must have genetic superiority...... [Cool]

Or they are so lucky they should concentrate on the lottery.

Happy hunting!

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

A lot of people tend to make sure the dangerous animals they shoot, at least sound as if they are dangerous.

They seem to forget that ALL animals can be dangerous.

I tend to follow a simple rule. If it shows any sign of life, keep your distance and keep shooting.

I would imagine at least 80% of the buffalos I have ever shot would have died within minutes of being shot with the first round. But, I would also imagine that at least 95% of these got an addition bullet.

I have shot over 100 buffalos, and not once have we ever been charged. I've had a few occasions where a buffalo would have charged if we got any closer to it after it was shot, but we never let that happen, as I normally put another bullet into him.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

I have shot over 100 buffalos, and not once have we ever been charged.

Saeed,

Such statements are the surest way of ensuring a future charge..... a bit like saying 'it isn't going to rain today'.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

I know my friend, it sounds like teasing fate, but, that is exactly what has been my own experience with dangerous game.

I shot 5 lions, and got charged once by a lioness, we stood our ground, and she stopped her charge.

We got chased on a number of occasions by elephant cows, but, again, I cannot in any honesty say we were in any danger at any of these times.

When my turn for a charge comes - despite all my efforts to avoid one - I will try my best to make sure I am the one who walks away at the end.

As an aside, a friend of mine, who is a PH in Zimbabwe, and has been hunting dangerous game for over 30 years, has only been charged ONCE in all his life. It was by a buffalo they came across in the bush. It was in such a bad state of health, they actually left it to the hyenas.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
. . . ALL animals can be dangerous.

I have shot a few cape buffalo (although nowhere near 100), and have never been charged either(except by an entire herd once, but we turned them rather easily).

Only one animal has ever charged me with definite intent to do me harm, and that was a wounded zebra, which I finished with a shot from the hip with a .375 H&H Mag. and which dropped about 10 feet from the muzzle.

My reaction time was slowed by utter amazement that I was actually being charged by a ZEBRA, of all things.

Lesson learned and never forgotten: ANY animal can indeed be dangerous.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of the wonderfully funny Ruark story of the Zebra that nearly did ol' Harry Selby in.

I hear those things are mean as hell. I've known a few horses I wouldn't get in the same pasture with...

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See my comments on yesterdays Fun? with an elephant at 6 paces on the original topic.

As a PH, you can call the distance according to the terrain and the thickness of the bush, but as a guide or a PH shooting an animal in self defence that is not on the quota then as a rule of thumb the animal should be within 8 yards. Lion and elephant usually break their charges at arround 10 paces and demonstrate, so baking a charging lion or ele at ten yards and trying to call it self defence will cost you your licence in respectable countries.

Buffalo are a diffenent story.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen Saeed stop a charge, Saeed just didn't know it...like he said the Buffalo got a second and final shot, and it all ended right there, but in this instance the charge was in obviously in effect but just starting. The bull was definatly looking for Saeed. It is on flim and is a wake up call to that valuble 2nd shot he refers to...That said, the way Saeed shoots he will probably shoot another 100 buffalo without a full blown charge...Those old dagga boys can't take too many heart shots and cause you much of a problem [Big Grin]

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

I knew the "8 yard" thing had to be in the PH handbook somewhere!

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote