THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Latest news on handguns to South Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest news on handguns to South Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Folks,

As many of you will remember I queried the news on handgun import with PHASA and have just received the following e-mail from them:-

"Steve,

I got some answers for your query:

1. Revolver/pistol: NO handguns will be allowed to be temporarily imported for hunting into South Africa. We got confirmation on this from Central Firearm Registration who issues the permits.

Will keep you updated if this change."

The new act already states that handuns will not be allowed in for the purposes of self defense...... therefore, I'm sorry to say that it's no handguns in RSA..... sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...... Confused

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Just bringing this back up to the top for those that are interested.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Revolver/pistol: NO handguns will be allowed to be temporarily imported for hunting into South Africa.

End of handgun hunting in South Africa?

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, those foreign tourists are probably responsible for all the handgun violence in RSA. Roll Eyes

Brilliant thinking, once again.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yup, It's absolutely ridiculous isn't it..... how can a .44 be more dangerous than a 454 and when was the last time an overseas hunter committed an armed crime.... Roll Eyes

I'll try to call the top cop at JIA tomorrow and discuss it with him.....then I'll let you know what he says..... He's a very nice guy and always very helpful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
But handgun hunting will still be possible if the HO, resp. PH provides the gun for the client?

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Yes, those foreign tourists are probably responsible for all the handgun violence in RSA.
George

Are your sources reliable??

Wink

Anyway

It was nice to meet you in Dallas George!

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cchunter:
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Yes, those foreign tourists are probably responsible for all the handgun violence in RSA.
George

Are your sources reliable??

Wink

Oh, yes, I got that information from the South African news media by way of BBC World News which I saw on our taxpayer-funded leftist propaganda-spewing Public Broadcasting Service. Big Grin

It was very nice meeting you as well!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shakari
Please check with the SAPS at the airport if you can. I would really like to take the 475 to Zim if possible. So far everything I have been able to find out states that they are letting scoped hunting handguns IN.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm 99% sure it's right as PHASA will have spoken to Insp Conroy already - but I will give him a call and see what he has to say...... is it possible you could bypass SA completely or if not transit through SA and check your bags all the way through?

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
I have just got off the line from Director Jaco Bothma. He is the officer in charge of the Central firearms register and the whole sorry mess called the Firearms Control Act.
He insists that there is no reason for any hindrance regarding bonfide hunting handguns for hunting purposes, whether transit or for hunting use in SA.
He said that all that would be required is a corroborating letter from your PH or outfitter indiccating the type/calibre of handgun and the purpose/intended use.
He undertook to talk to Insp Conroy in this regard.

In the interim, anyone who has had hassles with this please contact me by PM. Give me the time and date and hassle, together with the name of the hunter and type/calibre of firearm and I will take this to Bothma who has undertaken to investigate the matter.

Naturally I can only deal with specifics. Hyperbole, allegations, hearsay and conjecture I have a hard time taking the cops to task over.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
We seem to have two threads going on the same topic....... It seems it's an absolute SNAFU.

I'm told that Insp Conroy is no longer in charge of firearms import and that role has now been passed over to an African Inspector. (Which might be where the problem lies.... he makes the decisions at the airport and if he interprets the act differently to his predecessor then the goalposts get moved). I spoke to him and was told something else so I went back to PHASA and asked them to sort it out....... they called me back and told me that they spoke to an Insp De Vaal at the Central Firearms Register who has told them (PHASA) that the correct ruling is that single shot or revolver (DA or SA) will be allowed to be imported on a temporary basis. There is a maximum (handgun) calibre restriction of .45 but there is no requirement for a scope to be fitted. (or otherwise) He also said that semi autos WILL be allowed to be imported BUT only under special permit from CFR and only then if there is a good justification......this application will take a lot longer to process........

All firearms will still need to have relevant motivation letters etc...... So (IMO) it's a sensible idea to use someone like Air 2000, Optima or PHASA themselves to organise all your permits well in advance....Who you choose is up to you. All 3 offer different services at different costs.

As I said, Situation Normal - All Fucked Up!!!!

500 Nitro,

Can I ask if you received the same PHASA newsletter that said no handguns?

one of us
posted Hide Post
OT.

quote:

Oh, yes, I got that information from the South African news media by way of BBC World News which I saw on our taxpayer-funded leftist propaganda-spewing Public Broadcasting Service. Big Grin

George

George, I take it that you don't like PBS and think them not to be unbiased???? Just kidding.
The problem is where can one get unbiased news anymore.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Shakara,

No, did not see the Phasa letter. But I have had a flurry of enquiries which is why I went straight to Bothma.

The single biggest problem in dealing with these goons is that if you cannot refer to specifics - names/dates/firearm etc they cannot follow up or investigate and report.

I sorted out one of my clients who used a 454 Casull last year by advising him that including the letter from us that he also have a letter from his gunsmith indicating that notwithstanding the calibre description, the projectile was of the .45 class bullet family.
The cop did not even look at it and let him through. go figger!

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote