New
Find
Notify
Tools

A PH of the old school
 Login/Join

<Blurp>
posted
I have had the pleasure to hunt several times with a PH I rank very high who I like to tell you a bit about.

He was born in Scandinavia, I belive Denmark or Sweden, a long time ago, his teacher and mentor was Eric Rundgren of Safari South. Like Eric was he is a grumpy, tough customer, not easy to get on terms with.

If you mention the words Capstick, Weatherby or Record books his eyes will turn black and he will not speak to you that day. Like Eric, he is known to have thrown a clients Weatherby into the Okavango river.

He is an excellent PH for dangerous game not only because he finds the game you want and can put you in a proper position for a good shot but because he has a artificial knee so he can not run or climb trees but have to stand his ground whatever happens. I have not dared to ask what happened to his knee.

He once captured a puffadder and showed me the size of the fangs and pressed out drops of poison and then let the snake go. You will not see many guys like this around nowadays. I think the mould to form those men is broken.

Since I hope to hunt with him again I will not reveal his name. I he ever finds out I have written this he will cut my ears off.

Blurp

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blurp,
Sounds like my kind of guy! At least as long as I don't mention my admiration for that miscreant Capstick. Shouldn't be hard to do.
Psst! Email me some contact info so I can start planning my next excursion. My PH in Botswana liked to play with puff adders too, and we got along really well.

------------------
Happiness is a warm double and a bloody spear.
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Blurp,

Welcome to the forum.

I can understand and appreciate everything you have said about this gentleman, but can you explain what happened to the Weatherby?

Why was it thrown into the river?

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67341 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
Your puffadder story reminds me of my PH Hermann Redeker. On the way to the ranch from the airport he stoped the truck and possed for some pictures with a puffadder, then he let it go explaining they are harmless unless you get too close. Welcome to Africa!

Hermann was the type of person anyone would like from the start. I really hope I never hunt with a grumpy PH.

Jason

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Burp,

sounds like a story that dreams are made of ... (-:

good hunting

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bjorn Klappe>
posted
Blurp,

I know this man, the natives call him "Pegleg". I would not say he is grumpy but he will for sure not accept any nonsens.

He was one of the best PH:s in his time. Nowadays I think he lives in Cape Town.

I do not the story why he dumped a clients rifle in the river but Eric Rundgren�s story goes like this:

This happened during Eric�s time with Safari South in Botswana.

Eric had an American client who had brought with some sort of a hot wildcat rifle. The client could not speak of anything else than his rifle and what wonders he could do with it.

Eric got fed up with this and his firm belief was the rifle was not suited for the hunt they they were going on. He tried to talk the client into borrowing one of Eric�s rifles but the client refused flat.

Eric asked if could take a closer look on the rifle and then through it into Okavango.
"This rifle is no good, if you want to use it start diving but watch out for hippos and crocs".

I suppose Eric did not get much in tips for that hunt... but I am sure he did not bother.

Bjorn

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bjorn Klappe:
Blurp,

Eric asked if could take a closer look on the rifle and then through it into Okavango.
"This rifle is no good, if you want to use it start diving but watch out for hippos and crocs".

I suppose Eric did not get much in tips for that hunt... but I am sure he did not bother.

Bjorn

What makes you think Eric didn't get a big tip? If that had been my rifle, he's the one who'd better watch out for crocs, and Hippos, because he would have taken a bath with them till he got my rifle out of that muck!

This isn't Old School, it's OLD FOOL!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Bjorn Klappe>
posted
Mac my friend,

You obviusly did not know Eric!

What he said and done goes, if it did not suit the client there was always a plane back.

Please Mac, it is the PH who is an expert on African hunting not the client.

Do not hesitate for one moment; An experinced PH will cut a hunt short if the client try to take over. I have done it myself.

Bjorn

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blurp:
I have had the pleasure to hunt several times with a PH I rank very high who I like to tell you a bit about.

He was born in Scandinavia, I belive Denmark or Sweden, a long time ago, his teacher and mentor was Eric Rundgren of Safari South. Like Eric was he is a grumpy, tough customer, not easy to get on terms with.

If you mention the words Capstick, Weatherby or Record books his eyes will turn black and he will not speak to you that day. Like Eric, he is known to have thrown a clients Weatherby into the Okavango river.

He is an excellent PH...<snip>

Blurp

Blurp & Bjorn,

This thread begs the question of just what is an excellent PH.

Based on the facts presented, I find that "Peg Leg" is not an excellent Professional Hunter in the business of *guiding hunting clients*. He may be very suited to game control work or some such.

The PH has to be a leader, a man able to inspire willing compliance in his staff and in his sports. A PH who attempts to lead in this fashion has a serious defect in his personality.

I have met a couple of hunters who I declined to book hunts for because I thought they were warped. Maybe I should have sent them to Pegleg's boot camp for "attitude adjustment".

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Bjorn Klappe>
posted
Jim,

PH:s and clients come in all shapes.

Neither Eric nor Pegleg was everybodys darling and lacked in social competence maybe.

As hunters and guides they were second to none. Ask any of their clients! Pity there are so few of them out there.

I must say you make me glad by saying you did not book with the warped clients. That is honourable!

Once, when I feel inspired I will write a story called "A day in a PH:s life".

Bjorn

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bjorn Klappe:
Mac my friend,

You obviusly did not know Eric!

What he said and done goes, if it did not suit the client there was always a plane back.

Please Mac, it is the PH who is an expert on African hunting not the client.

Do not hesitate for one moment; An experinced PH will cut a hunt short if the client try to take over. I have done it myself.

Bjorn

Bjorn, I have no quarrel with you, but you are assumeing that because I do not know Eric, that would make a difference! If he threw a rifle of mine in the river, I can guarentee you he would be takeing a swim, in short order, if you, or he doubts that fact then my friend, you, or HE do not know ME!

I know plenty of crusty old PHs, and some with some weard habits, but you see I'm a little crusty myself, and profesional or not, he will NOT destroy my property, because he will recieve a grown man's ass kicking in a hurry, plane trip or no!

The man we are discussing here is not a good PH, but a friggin psycopath!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with Hunter Jim and Mac, this fellow cannot be a good PH. A good PH will know how to treat various different clients and have the client have a safe and succesful trip. Maybe he is a good hunter but I go hunting to have fun not to see how rough and tough someone thinks they are. After all I am the customer and paying the bills.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Blurp, welcome to our blatently honest forum!

The qualities that attract us to our friends etc. will differ. Possibly you have a lot of respect and admiration for him and the life he leads. Africa tends to more interesting with this dash of glamour.

I'm with Jim though. I am glad you like your ph but he's not for everyone. One of us would walk away with two black eyes if he threw my gun in the river. Might be me, but I would give it a shot anyway, you know, try to hurt his fist with my face at least.

Wendell

Posts: 6257 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Another story about Eric Rundgren.

A prominent New York client arrived at the Nairobi airport and was met by Eric. The client showed Rundgren a new pair of expensive Zeiss binoculars he had bought for the safari. Rundgren studied the binoculars carefully, then pulled out his pocket knife and carved his initials "ER" into the binoculars.

Eric said to the client, "Well, I suppose you can use them during the course of the safari, but remember they're mine at the end of the hunt."

[From Brian Herne's book "White Hunters"].

As a control officer in Kenya, Rundgren personally shot over 3,000 buffalo and more than 400 lion.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with the guys that would not put up with that crap.In fact I would ask to see what gun he was going to loan me and then I would hold it on him till he fetched my rifle.If it came to it I might have to shoot him in his good leg to make my point. Bottom line is I would not leave without my rifle or a piece of his ass as compensation.I am a fun loving guy but there are some things even I don"t find funny...eyedoc

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Bjorn,

I'd have to agree with the majority here. While it makes for an interesting story, because it didn't happen to one of us, I believe that if it had been my rifle or even yours..............well that might be another interesting story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might have said, "OK now let me borrow one of yours" and pitched it in right after. Then asked if he had any more rifles? D

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Bjorn,

I would like to hear your story on one day in a PH's life. When are we going to see that?

Thank you for the comment on not booking the a**holes. The outfitters I book for are also my friends, and life is too short to put up with some people. I don't want to send trouble to my friends either.

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, you should put this guy in an arena where such actions, and other assholes, are common place: law school.;-)

I really wonder if the guy showed up with a 22 caliber WBY, and was raving about how great a gun it was, and how he was going to kill elephants with it...

Enjoy the stories, from both sides.

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Jagermeister>
posted
Any chump showing up with some stupid wildcat that he cannot shut up about for more than 2 seconds should have it thrown in the water. Any guide with the guts to just toss their client's gun into the water or carve their initials into their stuff is a winner...I hate the obsession with wildcats...most of them are so popular they aren't even wildcats anymore anyway...and aside from having high velocity, they accomplish nothing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

<Bjorn Klappe>
posted
Alf,

Eric was my mentor and theacher, there was no better PH around in those days.

He had a heart of gold but his attitude was a bit harsh.

As you said, his clients loved him.

Bjorn