THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Cruel and Unusual Punishment - ATT: Russell T and JudgeG!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cruel and Unusual Punishment - ATT: Russell T and JudgeG!!
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Russell Taylor and Judge G!

After the greatest amount of "lead in" to a hunt ever, you guys have been back home for a week and we still have not seen a report! What the heck gives!

Judge...your narrative on the lion/buffalo incident was phenomenal, but surely that was not the only thing that happened on your whole trip.

Russell...you above all I expected to see a report from. I understand from 1115's report that you twisted your ankle part way through the hunt. I was sorry to hear about that, but maybe you could let us know what happened? Did you have any luck in the first few days? How did the ankle sprain happen?

Did either of you get a buff?????

Looking forward to some details! You can't string us along for months before you leave and then leave us hanging when you get back. Inquiring minds need to know!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Cauck - time for some stories for all of us enjoying Africa through your experiences!!! Besides, it will help with the PSD.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'm with Canuck!

I was really looking forward to Russell's take on Africa!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more vote for a comprehensive hunt report!

Come on guys, we are starved for adventure and want to hear about yours.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speak! Speak!

FIre Support Team

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the "Judge" has been down with some-kinda bug since his return....Paitence!

JW

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I know patience is a virtue, but heck, its been a week! The lion/buffalo story was just a teaser....we need the rest of the story. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think I'll let Russell tell you about it, at least, so far as his hunting.

As for me, I got to camp three days before the other three guys. As is my usual luck, as soon as it was light on my first days hunt, we cut fresh track in the road right near the air strip into which we flew.

Before I was 50 yards in the bush, we started hearing buffalo fart and groan. Following the herd was easy, or at least knowing where it was, was easy, but we were in really steep hills and the wind betrayed us a couple of times.

Finally, about 10:00 a.m., after three hours of tracking, we saw some buffalo on a hillside at 50 or so yards. One good bull started to lope away, quartering right to left and I made what I thought was a perfect heart shot. To my chagrin, I discovered that my Lyman model 21 receiver sight on my .405 Winchester had been "mashed" down flat against the top of the action and it was shooting 10 to 12" low at that range. Crap.

I did some African engineering and pried the sight up to the witness marks and pressed on. Finally we got back into the herd and I had a dagga boy at 20 yards in my sights, but a small tree trunk covered his shoulder. The damn thing was stone cold asleep with his head against a tree. I couldn't have missed if I'd thrown a watermelon at the sucker, but being deaf as a post, I didn't hear the P.H. tell me to shoot (the bull's lungs were quite vulnerable). I guess I should have figured out what Pierr'e meant by putting his fingers in his ears, but I was just determined to screw up that day. The wind shifted and off all the buffalo went, not to be found in another 4 hours of up and down.

On day two we saw a wonderfully black-maned lion, just resting about 30 yards from the boundry road (on the R-2 side, but I had no license). Twiga and another Masai got out of the vehicle and in some bizzare test of manhood started walking toward the giant s.o.b. Must be a Masai thing??? When the lion's tail went straight up, both guys kind of looked at each other and decided that they "tied" and had equally big balls and scurried back to the car.

That lion must have had 10" of mane. What an animal. Alan Johnson is hunting him right now, I'll bet. If he gets him, he'll have the trophy of a lifetime.

I shot a kongoni for the game scouts (there was a bunch of students/trainees in camp) and an impala.. but nothing exciting. No close ups on buffalo the second day though we followed tracks about 7K or so... That's a lie... I did get right up on two dagga boys, come to think of it. The were coming up a hill in a burn and we "bumped into" each other. I had long enough to think, "Now that's a real fine bull" when they spun and went to Zambia or somewhere. They weren't even the buffalo we were tracking... just a few seconds and I'd have had one, but that's hunting.

Third day is recounted in "I've Been to the Mountain Top".

I'll never forget arriving in camp that third evening to welcome the new arrivals. Russell, 1115 and Lee, a little drunk with whiskey and excitment, sitting by the fire watching hippos splash and cavort. Boy were they stoked when Pierr'e and I told our tale of the lion fight over and over that night while enjoying Cajun fried prawns and good South African wine. With all the hippo, bush baby, lion and hyena noises that night, I doubt they slept much that night.

As I said, Russell and the others started hunting on my day four and I'll let him tell about those days, but I turned down shots at 85 yards or so a couple of times on pretty good bulls, trying to get a "perfect" shot. Probably a mistake. Russell was sitting in the car while I was on one of my stalks (we were 2x1 that day) and he had buffalo walk by.

We spend lots of time hunting plains game as it was Russell's first trip and he did some in including the AR Zebra that I donated the Mannlicher rifle for and you folks so kindly bid. I'll post a picture tomorrow of it.

On my 9th day (his 6th) I stayed in camp and that's when Russell hurt himself, but he'll explain.

He and I saw lots more lion, and about everything else the Selous has to offer. I had my chances, but was trying to be a perfectionist.

1115 and Lee (the other two guys in camp) worked hard for buffalo with Lee getting one the afternoon of the second day and Dale getting his the morning of the 5th day, I believe... maybe th 6th. Both are at least SCI "bronze" sized. I think Dales has a 39" spread. Both had bosses of over 14", too. Lee's was had a very deep drop, but a tight curl. A very interesting trophy, but I have no pictures. Maybe Dale does??

None of us "old hands" were too interested in wildebeest, kongoni, warthogs, etc., but we all took some for the pot... and Dale got a old man warthog for the wall. Lee's wildebeest will score pretty high in SCI come to think of it.

I am still sick from some kind of respriratory funk, but I may add more when I get better.

BTW, the cartridge belts that Jeff Wimmer sent (along with some wallets he makes) were the very best. He'll be marketing them soon, and I have no suggestions on how to improve them. The are really slick.

I also look forward to reading Russell's impressions on his first safari. It should be interesting.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7696 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update. I hope you are well soon as your writing is always a thrill to read. Your mountaintop has been elevated quite a lot from reading your accounting of the action.

I have just figured out what the next great AR raffle should be. I am sure others would wager to get a hold of your blood speckled shirt from the lion attack. Can't speak for anyone else wanting any of your other clothing but I am sure the laundry staff were none too pleased when you guys "dropped trou" later that day looking for a set of fresh pants.

Thanks again for the wonderful accounting. Sorry you had trouble with using the '95. Especially after all the work you went through getting your loads worked up. Of course there is the next trip to count on to "iron out" that next buff or Lion.

How about sending me a pm with the price you are looking for on the double. I promise not to divulge.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The Westley Richards is sold and sent. Alas!

Posts: 7696 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Judge, take care and need some home made chicken soup...
You have me excited for next summer...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge! clap Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck with the 405 receiver sight, or the buff. But it sounds like you still had a great trip and the memory of "day 3" will definitely last longer than any trophy! I'm sure a lot of us here would trade that experience for a dagga boy in the salt any day. Hope you get back to 100% soon.

Looking forward to hearing Russ's take on Africa too. I see he is posting on the Classified Forum, so he must be around. I am surprised he is keeping his loyal fans, supporters, sponsors and donors waiting!!!!!

Cheers,
Canuck

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
btt....not giving up.....

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Judge:

Did you meet up with jjs?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "Judge" mentioned the Westly Richards has been, "sold and sent...". It has also arrived; and is even better than described. Part of the commitment was that that if it gets sold again, he gets first refusal.

Now for a lengthy and enjoyable process getting attuned to it's handling and shooting chacteristics. Then, hopefully it gets a trip back to Africa next year. There were a few specs of vegetation, I like to assume from Africa, between the fore-end and barrels. Those are now safeguarded and will make the trip(s) too.

Might well be asking for advice on loading/etc.

Regards, Emory

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
The "Judge" mentioned the Westly Richards has been, "sold and sent...". It has also arrived; and is even better than described.

Very nice! Congratulations on the acquisition.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talked to Pierre today and Steve Walsh, another Iraq vet, shot a nice buffalo on day one and another on day two, the second one was a real nice huge bull...Pierre said he and Steve must have walked 40 to 50 miles in those two days and Steve never missed a lick, I guess Africa was a snap after forced marches in the desert...They will spend the rest of the hunt leasurely hunting plainsgame...

No word on Jim Sherman but he can walk the legs off a dog so I am sure he will do well, and Jim is an excellent shot and loves to walk and hunt, chaseing buffalo is his thang, better than sex he tells me...Jim is hunting with Richard Lemmer, not Pierre...Richard is Pierres brother in law, a very nice person and a good hunter, I have hunted with Richard many times..

I think Russ is at Gunsight for a few weeks, he had that set up before he left for Tanzania..I hate it that Russ hurt himself, it may be his first and last trip to Africa unfortunatly...

I got emails from Dale and Lee and they had a great time and killed everything on the menu I think..Russ owed Lee for his hotel bills and was going to send Lee a check for the amount he borrowed and Lee graciously refused payment adding that as his donation to the hunt like many of us did..a nice gesture on Lee part and showed a lot of class IMO...

All is going well on R2 and will just get better as the burning gets heavy and the animals become easier to find, still there is just something about hunting in that thick high grass that intrigues me, guess thats why folks bungy jump, sky dive and race cars, its the rush of adrenaline that goes with it...I like it in there...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Russ is at Gunsight for a few weeks, he had that set up before he left for Tanzania.

Maybe...but he wrote a note on the Classified forum saying that he is back to work and has all kinds of time to post.

Canuck

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
btt

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Link to Russ' Trip report

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Steve.

And thanks to Russ for a great, heartfelt report. It was worth waiting for. clap

Cheers,
Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, Thanks for the link. The story was worthy of a trip to Africa and Thank you Russ for writing it.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Shoot, no problem.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote