Find
Notify
Tools

Cell phones on a hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted
Just wondering with how many of you it's happened on a hunt where the PH or trackers cell phone started to ring. And did you find it annoying or out of place?

I have a constant battle with my guides and trackers not to use their cell phones in the bush.
Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I prefer to use a radio for logistical communication.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think that their is anything that can piss me off more than that.Its happened to me a few times.All it takes is a death stare and the phone goes off.It is really unprofessional .It is also one of the main resons why i get out of the city and go to the bush so i dont have to hear phones

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to Africa to get away from cellphones etc. Unless they are calling to tell me where the next big critter is located it had better not ring.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
I must admit I do carry a concealed one for emergencies and had to use it a couple of times.
But I agree, I find it very unprofessional if they are used on a hunt.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Emergencies change everything, but until that happens I am out looking for the remotest hunting in deep dark Africa. Don't shatter the fantasy.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had it happen, and would be very unhappy if it did. I would be especially unhappy if a tracker's phone went off, the PH may carry one as an alternative to a two way radio and may need the information. The tracker, on the other hand would only be using his for personal business.
Back in 1998, on my first hunt, one of the trackers had a "very smart" wristwatch that he was very proud of. On the hour it beeped and a voice announced the time. My PH told him that it better not go off while we were stalking anything. It didn't.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Two of my trackers had them in the Selous last year; they would only work in a spot near the Rufiji River. They never used them or got a call while we were hunting, but did a bit on their own when we were camping in that area.
It didn't bother me at all, but after the hunt when it came up in conversation with one of the safari company's owners, he reacted like that was not ever supposed to happen and that he was going to deal with that particular tracker later. Quite honestly I felt bad at that point for having mentioned something that I didn't think was an issue.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christ, all they have to do is set it on vibrate. They should take the call when nothing is happening ie just riding or having lunch etc.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
They should take the call when nothing is happening ie just riding or having lunch etc.

For some reason they don't ring during lunch times, it's usualy during a stalk .

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shona,

when i'm going on a hunt, before I leave the airport, I buy both Mtn and Vodaphone minutes. Upon meeting the trackers/skinners/staff i ask what service they use. I then pass out the appropriate minutes.

I also tell them this, "If I see a cell phone being used, or hear a cell phone ring while we are hunting-- which includes riding in the hunting car-- I will take that phone and smash it to pieces." One guy tried me on that. His phone is now in the Limpopo River in three pieces.

The bosses of the four companies I work with simply tell them "The big American is coming." Then the stories start.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It certainly takes some of the glamour off the wilderness aspect when the trackers and skinners and local boys are taking cell calls and text messages constantly.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
It would not be the first time I have ever:

1. Shot a cell phone, or

2. Thrown one out a truck window.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never have had a cell phone ring while actually hunting. I don't think it would happen twice if they wanted to get paid.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Where I hunted in KZN, you couldn't even get service unless you drove to the highest hill, and then, stood on top of the landrover. Needless to say, my phone was never turned on for the 9 days I was there.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I've never have had a cell phone ring while actually hunting. I don't think it would happen twice if they wanted to get paid.

Mark

A1 clap

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I just can't believe people get service out there in the African bush. I have one heck of a time getting it in some places in town.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddies ATT worked in Namibia better than Verizon at home....no more Verizon for me.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind if the PH has a phone on in the truck. Once we start walking/hunting/stalking it needs to go off or be left in the truck. Bullshit on the "vibration-mode" suggestion.

I think that the phone that just rang on a stalk or in a blind should cost the PH $1,000, a letter later to his boss, and I'll never hunt with him again.

You're not running a professional operation if you allow your employees to send and receive calls while supposedly servicing a paying customer's needs in the field, and I don't hunt with worms (amateurs). I've invested too much money in a hunt.

On the PH / Outfitter side of the equation, I think there ought to be a law allowing you to use a black marker to write "Dumb-ass" in permanent ink on the forehead of any pressed-pants hunter that you are forced to carry to the field who can't leave his cell phone in camp.

If you can't get by without your cell phone Mr. Important Hunter, for twelve hours, you are way too important a man to be hunting. You need to be back at home playing with your cell phone.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
It is one of the problems that I can have during my wild boar hunting season. It happens often that the dog keeper, who is also the master and commander of the hunting squad, calls not only by radio, but also by cell the people at the blind. It does not matter if the dog pack is going in the direction of a particular blind he needs athe answer! he is often insulted for this, but he des not want to understand.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our Game scout's phone rang during a final stalk. He jumped three feet and jumped in circles to turn it off. We found it humerous, but might have missed an opportunity because of it. I was amazed that all these people had phones and they worked!

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I was surprised when I saw the heading of this post, as I never imagined it could be an issue.
As well as being totally unprofessional, carrying a cellphone when hunting is also extremely bad luck, as is carrying money. Don't ask me how I know this, I just do. Smiler Now you know why you shot that female when you could have sworn it was the male in your sights! Smiler
There has never been an issue with cellphones on the hunts I have accompanied. I have never seen one in-field - it would not be tolerated. Added to which, the areas I've hunted are a long way from any signal. In Chewore we used to have a sat phone in camp for emergencies, that's it.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are times when an incomming call can effect your hunt, thus the vibrate mode. Point in fact we wedre hunting down in the Cape and had a hound master with his dogs looking for Carcel while we were hunting Kudu. He called saying he had a good track, we never got the call and I never got a chance at the Carcel. I would have left the Kudu hunt in a heart beat for the cat.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
I was surprised when I saw the heading of this post, as I never imagined it could be an issue.
As well as being totally unprofessional, carrying a cellphone when hunting is also extremely bad luck, as is carrying money. Don't ask me how I know this, I just do. Smiler Now you know why you shot that female when you could have sworn it was the male in your sights! Smiler
There has never been an issue with cellphones on the hunts I have accompanied. I have never seen one in-field - it would not be tolerated. Added to which, the areas I've hunted are a long way from any signal. In Chewore we used to have a sat phone in camp for emergencies, that's it.

Dave

Hi David

Trust me I also did not imagine it could be a problem.

Our local cell phone company definitely knows their majority target market. Combined with a landline service that for the most part is none exiting in the rural areas, cell phone towers are popping up every where. You will probably get better cover in Namibia than in the States.
Our main lodge is situated 500km from Windhoek close to Kamanjab, you have to travel 100+ km on a dirt road to get to us. 2 years ago, to our surprise, a tower popped up on our neighboring farm. We are really in the middle of no where and were using a satellite system before. Most of the area we hunt over there is covered by the tower, poorest reception is at the lodge itself and the strongest at our staff houses.

I drove through town the other day and found two Himba women sitting at the service station chatting away on their cell phones, so much for preserving a culture.
I guess times are changing, even in Africa.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
For my first safari, I never even thought of taking my phone to Africa. When I needed it was in route when planes were late, schedules re-arranged etc. I really do not want to hear phones when I am hunting and never thought I would have to ask my Ph to please make sure the phones are on vibrate ,,,much less that all the trackers had them in their pocket this past August on my last trip. I leave my phone in camp, send a text when I get a chance to check on the home folks,, I guess I crated to technology. Whether we like it or not, they are here to stay, cell phones, especially due to the cost effectiveness of providing service in rural areas. My last bass fishing trip to Mexico, the fishing guides all had them in the middle of nowhere! Mine even worked there as well. My phone has worked in China, all over Europe, Africa, Mexico, South America, but it doesn't work most of the time in southwest Texas at the deer camp near Rock Springs,, at least as far as my wife knows,,,,,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The military talk of force multipliers, I think about tip dividers. A cell phone going off is a tip divider where I might start counting at 2 and count up in 3's. Carrying one for emergency use is entirely different and has saved a few hunting days for me.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one thing that was a help with a cell phone this last time was after a long walk through the bush, I took a good gemsbock and was a long long way from the rover. The Ph called one of the trackers to bring the rover and was able to direct him almost to where we were standing and saved us several of hours of walking back, it was really hot that day.... I didn't gripe much about the phone then,,,I guess I am getting old and soft....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johann, were the women in traditional Himba dress or in modern day attire?

One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
It was very funny. She wore traditional attire even boasting a “traditional” wallet for it around her neck.
Imagine what her parents are thinking.
I’ll try and get a photo next time I’m in town

rotflmao

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s happened to me on a hunt. The PH and I were sitting near a clearing in late evening hoping a bushbuck would step out. The sun was setting, not a breath of air stirring, just the sounds of the bush. It was such a splendid evening, right until his cell phone rang. He talked a few minutes, then hung up and said, “Sorry”. I did shoot a nice bushbuck about 20 minutes later, but the cell phone call ruined another wise spectacular evening.

Having one is fine. Emergencies happen, but don’t turn them on unless you have to.

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shona:
It was very funny. She wore traditional attire even boasting a “traditional” wallet for it around her neck.
Imagine what her parents are thinking.
I’ll try and get a photo next time I’m in town

rotflmao

She probably got the money from me. Took my family there last summer and bought a few (lot) of items, including the belt she was wearing Smiler
Those Himbas know money and know how to sell.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
On the way between hunting camps with Shona Hunting adventures, we came across this guy in the middle of NOWHERE.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a "carcel?"

Hate cell phones in general, yet I am amused that one poster felt it was "ok" once the animal was down and a couple of hours' walk was eliminated.

Hate to see a client have to walk back to the truck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting last week and the guieds cell phone went off.He had the ring tone of a guinie fowl.He told me it was so that he didnt disturb the game if it rang.I still wasnt impressed but at least it wasnt puff daddy or some other latest hit song

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the way between hunting camps with Shona Hunting adventures, we came across this guy in the middle of NOWHERE

Cops better not catch him talking on his cell phone while he's driving, he'll get a fine for that in Australia.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also think it is unproffesional. I have my cell with me at all times but it is on silent.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
silent or vibrate would be the way to carry one. I never take mine on holiday, as this is exactly why I am leaveing--- to get away from the calls!

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dyker,, you miss quoted me,, I didnt say it was Ok that they had the phone,,, I said I didn't gripe as much as it would of been several miles to walk back,,, said I must be getting old and soft,,, That is True!!!! I wasn't asked,,, can I call the tracker to bring the lorrie? No,, just like if he had a radio handy. Point is,,, I would of never even thought of them being in the bush,, but once there, they are there to stay regardless if we like them or not.... I go to the bush to get away from the dang things, they are everywhere now...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find them annoying at most times and places. People have no courtesy where phones are concernd even if normally they are decent people. Once I am in the bush I dont want radios, cell phones or any thing else like that. I want to get away from humanity not stay in touch with it. I want to enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells, without the intrusion of the modern world as much as possible. If some one feels they must have one with them please turn it off and let voicemail pick it up or leave it in the truck. I even have been annoyed by youg ph's who have felt the need to be continually talking on the damn things in the truck. I am not sure if this is a sign of my age or just I get enough of dealing with the public on a daily basis.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I was in total shock the first time the PH stopped the Land Rover at the "airport" (which was the only place they could get reception)and the trackers piled out, spread out and started making cell calls.

As much as cell phones ruin the safari experience when they use them to call home an even more disgusting thing is when the PH starts using his to do other business.

I have had PHs use phones to call customers in their second job and also use them to sell future safaris to other hunters or make arrangements for other hunters that follow my safari while we were in sundowner mode. I dont mind them doing other business as long as they go somewhere private to do it and not where I can hear it.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As a rule, I only hunt in places where they don't work!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13404 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote