New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nile vs cape buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do they still separate the two or have they said they are the same. How far the drop went seemed kind of silly to me and I understand the buffalo stayed together and I'm sure breed each other.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told it’s purely drop as the judgement by my PH in Uganda. If it’s flat, it’s a Nile buffalo, if it had drop, it’s a southern/Cape buffalo.

Splitter vs. lumper thing.

Not sure as to genetic differences.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
To my novice eyes, the Tanzanian buffalo look more different with wide spread and some even looking like the Asian water buffalo with narrow wide spread horns and small boss.

I wonder if the Tanzanian animals ever hybridised with the Asian domestic water buffalo.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that according to SCI all buffalo in Uganda are now listed as Nile Buffalo. A client of mine just shot this one there.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
I understand that according to SCI all buffalo in Uganda are now listed as Nile Buffalo. A client of mine just shot this one there.

[url=https://ibb.co/5Tx6QTb] [/url
Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Jason Roussos will tell you differently about Nile Buffalo Genetics ...

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Perhaps labelling them as to what country/region/Game Reserve they are shot out of would be a better alternative.

This way SCI record book entries will increase!!!!!

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Good old buff is good old buff

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

When I shot them...both Capes. Now one is a Nile and one is a Cape

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
NIce buffs Lane

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote