New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting stix
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought some of the nicest shooting sticks at the Reno SCI, and then lost the product information sheet with the address on it. Did anyone else get these tripod type shooting sticks and could share the information? They were sold on the Elepahnt walk area by a combo booking agent/travel agent????

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is the mfg?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I can't help you, my shooting sticks are 3 bamboo poles..............

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I wasn't at Reno this year, but it sounds like you are describing the shooting sticks sold by Custom Travel of Greenfield, WI. They include advertisements for shooting sticks and other safari items when they send plane tickets. Their sticks cost $70 - $80 if I recall correctly. If this company sounds familiar I'll look through their material at home tonight and forward along whatever I can find.

Conewago

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Was it Longrass Outfitters or something similar to that name. They were selling them at the Dallas show.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Longrass Outfitters makes some very nice shooting sticks, but they didn't have a booth ar Reno.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No they were not long-grass as they are made of aluminum. They might have come from Custom Travel as the group was a travel agent and one of the guys there makes them I think. I lost the package insert on the plane coming home.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, they weren't Long Grass sticks. Ours are prettier and come with a $$ back guarantee if you aren't satisfied! Wink Smiler

But, I did pick up their flier. They were from Ultrec. They are $90 and you can email them at ultrec@earthlink.net or visit their website at www.ultrec.com.
Melody Rutkowski
Long Grass

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TexasZebra, that is the one- You da'man!!!!!
Thanks a lot.

square shooter

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
You da'man!!!!!

No, she's da'lady.

Melody, it was nice to see you and Jerry at the show in Reno! I think your stuff would do well there next year.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Melody donated a set of their shooting sticks to our S.C.I. Chicago Chapter fundraiser and they were a huge hit. Thanks again Melody.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
You da'man!!!!!

No, she's da'lady.

Melody, it was nice to see you and Jerry at the show in Reno! I think your stuff would do well there next year.
Oh boy, that is a big
AWWWWWW$hit. They have a saying in Medicine. One AWWWWWW$hit whipes(pun intended)out 100 ATTTTTAboys.
I beg your parden, MAM (hat tip).

square shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lb 404,

you might oughta take a look at Melodys (Longgrass) shooting sticks, Pierre my adopted son and PH, thought they were the best he has seen and so do I...We had a set at our booth during Dallas if you recall...I have not seen the ones your talking about...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the kudos!! We appreciate the feedback.

Square Shooter - no problem, sir! Glad to help!

Melody Rutkowski
Long Grass

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always found the combination of bamboo poles and a bicycle inner tube to be sufficient. Not classy, but authentic! Big Grin

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used snipe stixs by kramer designs for years in North America. I have killed several animals with them and swear by them. They are aluminum with shock cords and they snap to a clip on the front of the stock. They differ from bipods in that they are removable, have a swivel bearing and most importantly are about 24 inches and get you above the grass and sage. Usually I shoot nealing or sitting. I am going to Zimbabwe March 28th for my first African hunt and intend to try them.

Posts: 29 | Location: Delano MN | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasZebra:
No, they weren't Long Grass sticks. Ours are prettier and come with a $$ back guarantee if you aren't satisfied!

How long are they? The guy in the picture on your website looks all stooped over and he looks considerably shorter than me. Do you make custom lengths?

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Russell,

This is too easy. You pull up on the top of the sticks so they stand taller.

I personally don't care for sticks anyway, but the secret is to hold your arm out horizontally, or whatever height you prefer, so the tracker knows what height you want the sticks. Trackers don't know, unless you tell them, and they are usually too high or too low, and not quickly changed and its a big pain in the rear, and the game is usually gone by the time they are adjusted correctly, blah, blah,...

So get it settled between you and the sticks carrier ahead of time.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Joel C
posted Hide Post
Minuch,

I also love my snipepods.....but I only got a chance to use them on 1 out of 8 plains animals last summer. The grass and brush is too tall to allow sitting or kneeling in a lot of shooting opportunities.
Practice standing shots with sticks--I ordered a set from Melody to practice up before my next trip.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ripon, WI | Registered: 09 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ - We will make custom sticks, but our sticks come standard 6'4" tall (which is about right for a 6'4" person. We have detailed instructions on how to cut them off to fit your height. Because they are oak, you can customize them for your height and then take them in your guncase with you. (Mims said to tell you they fit great in your TuffPak...)

With any sticks you have quite a bit of leeway in the length of the stick as you can walk it out (spread the feet) to get it to the right height. BUT - I have found that, for maximum stability and ease of use in all situations, you don't want more than a 3.5' to 4' "footprint". If you need more than that area for the legs you run the risk of tangling up in brush, rocks, etc.

In the picture he is stooping with the legs of the sticks spread quite wide. If you share your sticks with others (as he does with his clients) you would not cut them off. When set up you want the height so that you are able to lean slightly forward into them which is why we recommend that you try them before you start cutting them off.

I have found that the different styles of shooting sticks shoot differently. The sweet spot for using sticks is a combination of the height of the sticks, the terrain, and where you position the fore end of your rifle on the sticks. If you are too far forward or too far back, you will get too much play in it.

I have tried monopods and bipods. They were great from the standpoint they collapse into almost nothing, but I find that I can shoot better off of a tripod. Stoney Point makes a tripod that collapses but the legs are not infinitely adjustable as ours are. So, the problem was taking my tripods with me and I believe we have solved that.

Melody Rutkowski
Long Grass

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Melody, what weight are your sticks??

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
34-35 oz
just a smidge over 2 lbs

one of us
posted Hide Post
Melody, I'm 6'5" tall, so I reckon your standard sticks will suffice. I'll order a pair as a gift to myself for my safari. I'll practice with the sticks as often as possible. I'm glad to know they'll fit in my TuffPak, since that's what I'll be taking.

Thanks very much, Melody.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
The sticks that Melody has are the best I have ever run across. They break down for ease of travel but are stout when you put them together for hunting in the bush.
If you are going to use sticks then you owe it to yourself to get a set of these and never look back. I bet you don't wear them out.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ

We would like to give you a set for your safari. We are very thankful to you and all the men and women in uniform that give so much. We appreciate our freedom. We salute you!
Please email me your mailing address and when the next batch is ready to ship, I will get them out to you.

Melody Rutkowski
Long Grass

one of us
posted Hide Post
TexasZebra--do you have a close-up pic of the stix--chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasZebra:
Russ

We would like to give you a set for your safari. We are very thankful to you and all the men and women in uniform that give so much. We appreciate our freedom. We salute you!
Please email me your mailing address and when the next batch is ready to ship, I will get them out to you.
email: long-grass@satx.rr.com

Melody Rutkowski
Long Grass

As I type this, I'm sitting in a tent somewhere in the vicinity of Vilseck, Germany. It's cold, it's dark, it's snowing... it's pretty sloshy on the ground outside. Inside, we're doing wargames and trying to fight a war. Having done the same thing during OIF1, what we're doing now seems "mild" in many ways. Regardless, the stress is nearly the same and we know we're doing this to prepare for the real thing. On 5 Mar 05, I hit my 23-year mark, doing this stuff. In my final years, I sometimes wonder why I'm still doing this.

You just reminded me why.

Thank you, Melody. May God bless you.

(And thank you for brightening my day -- or night, really, since I'm working "eights.")

E-mail sent.

Godspeed.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by csutton7:
TexasZebra--do you have a close-up pic of the stix--chris

I will take some close ups and post them. It may be tomorrow.
Melody

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Three cheers for Melody!!!

thumb beer

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I thought I would send this BTT as others here should be aware of what Melody just did.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TexasZebra

It is good to see there are still good people out there. Russel I hope you enjoy your sticks and make many a one shot kill off them. Keep up the good spirit.

Wimpie

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote