Find
Notify
Tools

Plains Game -- What to hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
Im planning my first safari for 2012. Im going to South Africa for 10 days in Sept/Oct. My PH has asked what Im interested in hunting. I KNOW I want Zebra and also Wildebeest; (but Im not sure if I want BLUE or BLACK or BOTH). To that I guess maybe Sprinbok and Warthog. Beyond that Im not sure what to consider, as no specific species are screeming out to me.

Ive always heard the first safari should be for Plains Game and thats all my buddy is interested in hunting (we're both using the same firm but with seperate PH's). Ive already decided Im going for Dangerous Game in 2013 or 2014.

So Im torn between wanting a full bag of Plains Game and saving the extra money for a longer (21+ day multi DG hunt in 2014). By the same token, I dont want to "short" my first safari.

Whats a good list for my PG hunt?

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your future safari. Whatever you take you will love. Yet, when you see all the game that is there you will want it all. I do believe if I were you that I would try for a kudu in addition to all else. They are splendid! A gemsbok is also magnificent. I recommend this as well. My best to you!

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on taking the big step of a first African safari.

Blue or black wildebeest? Black, always in South Africa first choice should be black wildebeest. Why? They are endemic in South Africa and it is only here where you can hunt them in their natural and traditional environment. Blue can be hunted in many southern African countries where they naturally occur.

Wanting to hunt zebra plus black wildebeest and springbok in natural environment places you well in grassveld/savannah biome. Then keep your other choice species to those that also occur naturally in the same area: Blesbok, red hartebeest, gemsbok to name but a few. [Depending on the integrity and ethics of your chosen PH and HO they could however have any species delivered on a fenced area for you to shoot.] Wink

Enjoy further planning and preparation as part of the safari.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my first PG hunt, I killed 1 red hartebeest, 1 warthog, 2 gemsbok (couldn't stop at 1), lots of springbok, 1 black wildebeest, 1 kudu, 1 zebra, 1 blue wildebeest, 1 baboon and a few jackals. Did I mention LOTS of springbok?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Edelweiss

Well that is easy.

Have a wish list.

Save your cash, see what comes into your sights.

You just do not know what you will come across.

The 2 animals I wanted to shoot last were the first 2 I shot.

Keep an open mind and shot any thing good that comes along.

Last trip wanted to shot 15 animals shot over 20.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDELWEISS:
Im planning my first safari for 2012. Im going to South Africa for 10 days in Sept/Oct. My PH has asked what Im interested in hunting. I KNOW I want Zebra and also Wildebeest; (but Im not sure if I want BLUE or BLACK or BOTH). To that I guess maybe Sprinbok and Warthog. Beyond that Im not sure what to consider, as no specific species are screeming out to me.

So Im torn between wanting a full bag of Plains Game and saving the extra money for a longer (21+ day multi DG hunt in 2014). By the same token, I dont want to "short" my first safari.

Edelweiss,

I FULLY symphatize with you! I had the precisely same sentiments on my first trip (and partly still do).

You have some species that you know you want - good.
As to the rest:
- have a look at the price list. Some animals are simply ridiculously expensive. Don't shoot them.
- have a look at what you see out in the field. If there is something you desire and it's on quota, go for it!

On my first trip I shot most unplanned blue wildebeest and giraffe.
The wildebeest was such that I had no intentions whatever to shoot one! But upon seeing the herd I immediatelly wanted to go for them!
The giraffe was more of a problem due to the high cost.

I didn't get warthog on my first nor on my second trip so there's still something for me to try.

As to saving money for a bigger scale safari: I think this is a splendid idea! (Of course I do - that's my strategy, as well...)
Once you've been on a trip, you have a better understanding what it all is about.
You'll simply indulge in the experience the first time and I doubt you'll regret anything (except maybe spending too much money). Going for bigger game the next time is a sound approach, indeed.
How much of a "full bag" do you want depends on the budget. If you're rich, good for you. If you're of limited means like me, keep in mind you do not need to shoot something every day! The experience is plenty value for money.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I agree with the philosophy of taking the animals that occur naturally in SA or can only be hunted there. Maybe reserve some of the others for your DG hunt assuming they can be found in the area you plan to hunt.

Be advised that many DG hunts take place in areas where limited plains game are available. For instance, if your DG hunt is in the Makuti area of Zim, there are no Impala, Wildebeest, Giraffe, Gemsbok, etc. Down in the Zambezi Valley, there are better chances for Plains Game but it is still somewhat limited.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the little duikers, klipspringers, steenboks, etc. Some of my most memorable hunts have been while seeking out the little ones.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer to hunt what is natural to the area I am hunting. If were going to the Eastern Cape I would hunt the natural species to the area. Cape Bushbuck, Cape Kudu, Oribi, the Springboks, Black Wildebest, Blue Duiker etc.. If I were hunting Zululand #1 one my list would be Nyala, Red Duiker, Suni. Pick your game based upon the area you are hunting.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd probably toss a kudu and an impala, to the initial list.

I'd take enough money to hunt whatever grabs you, when you get there. The advice about a DG hunt is solid. Not all DG areas have a huge supply of plains game. My son and I hunted in the Omay, last August. Saw lots of crocs, hippo, ele, and cape buff. Plains game wise, saw mostly bushbuck, impala and waterbuck, not many of anything else.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The Greater Kudu is such a beautiful trophy that it seems to me the "one" you should set your sights on.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I would certainly consider adding kudu, impala and warthog to the list.

Additionally, don't pass up the little guys like duiker, red, common, or blue, steenbok, etc. The little guys will add a little extra to the trophy room. If you're hunting the Eastern Cape, consider mountain reedbuck, cape bushbuck, bushpig, etc. also.

Then again, it might be best to just save your money and decide once you see something you like in the field. It might be a blesbok, white or black springbok, waterbuck, etc. Just make sure you take plenty of cash to cover those unexpected critters, or the monster XYZ, that you can't live without.

Good luck,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Edelweiss-

I am in a somewhat similar situation. To me, impala and warthog just "scream" Africa.

And I would have a hard time planning a trip anywhere there was not at least a reasonable chance of one of the Bushbuck subspecies.

Kudu, eh. Gemsbok, not for me. Blue wildebeest, nope. Springbok, sorry, not interested. Black wildebeest, really cool but I would be limiting myself too much by going where they live, I feel. But I am not trying to fill a trophy-room. Give me great pictures and memories to last until I go again and I will be saving the taxidermy fees.

Only my opinion, of course. And I realize some (or all) of this may go out the window of the bakkie when I see any of the above on the hoof.

It all comes down to what you want. Good luck!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
The Greater Kudu is such a beautiful trophy that it seems to me the "one" you should set your sights on.

+1

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went to RSA in 2009 and between us we took 10 animals. We went with a shopping list, but it was completed in the first 5 days of a 7 day hunt. I think you should be prepared financially to add some animals to the list while you are there. You never know if or when you may get another opportunity.

Impala and Warthog are cheap and belong on any list. Of our trophies, the ones we like best are the Nyalla, Waterbuck and Gemsbuck. Would add Kudu to that list if we had a good one.

As an aside, if you will be in the north-east part of RSA, a side trip to Kruger Park is a must.

Have a great trip,

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
When I took my first safari (the once in a lifetime trip) I decided what plains animals most represented Africa to me. These were kudu, gemsbok, impala, and warthog. These were taken with kudu being the most difficult.

I also found that we never knew what mother Africa would show us. I took an unplanned Rowland Ward trophy waterbuck that is one of my favorites and a zebra stallion that made a fine rug.

I passed on several animals like red hartebeest and in the thorn bush we never even saw a blue wildebeest or bushbuck and, given an opportunity a bushbuck would have been shot. It was my third trip before I had a chance.

The point of this long story is to suggest that you plan for those that most represent Africa to you and hunt those. Be prepared to not see something you may want and take twice as much trophy funding so as to be able to take many other special trophies that present.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I bought a 'package' for my first hunt and was completely satisfied with it. It included a Kudu which to me should be the African national animal. I went on 8 safaris and took Kudus each and every one. Plus a lot more for rations,ceremonys,biltong,etc. I probably would be satisfied just to hunt them. They are just so awesomely majestic.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You can do whatever you want, and have been given some good advice here. There is no reason to limit yourself artificially on your first safari, so do what YOU want to do and don't base your trip on pre-conceived notions about what you should do on a first trip.

My first safari was a 24 day affair that included not only plains game (impala, warthog, kudu, sable, waterbuck, duiker, grysbok, zebra) but also elephant, leopard and 2 big buffalo. I left Zimbabwe with only 1 regret, and that was that I hadn't made it a 28 day hunt to include lion. If I had done that, I'd have taken a magnificent lion as my very first african trophy. That was not only the best african safari I've ever enjoyed, it was the very finest hunt I've ever enjoyed in my lifetime.

Make your first trip what you want it to be. You won't regret doing it 'your way'.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
A kudu and an eland. After that, everything else is just lagniappe.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ive always heard the first safari should be for Plains Game and thats all my buddy is interested in hunting

I heard that also but chose to do otherwise. It's your money, time, etc do what you can afford and want to do...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't hunt "tiny ones" or Bush Buck....they are addicting and cost you many more trips....

Kudu should be on all list every hunt...

On my first trip to RSA (3rd to Africa), I booked a 7-day hunt with two specific species, Gemsbok and Nyala, and "whatever presents itself" that I might wish to take as my hunt. Was having such a great time with my super PH and family that we called the airlines and changed my flights and hunted 12 days....fun trip but my bank account became non-existant!

'

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Here's a good first timer's Plains Game list for South Africa:
Kudu
Zebra
Gemsbok
Impala
Warthog
Wildebeest(Blue, Black or both)
Springbok (Common to start with)
Bushbuck (Limpopo)
Blesbok (Common)
Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
If you do the 21 day multi DG hunt you will be shooting zebra, impala etc. for bait. (assuming cats would be targeted) You might want to take a pass on bait animals for the first hunt unless you want two of the same animals.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wish you all the best on your first safari. What rifles are you taking?

My dream PG hunt will be for Kudu, Gemsbuck, Warthog, Black Wildebeast, Zebra, Duiker, Springbok, Caracal and a couple of days of bird shooting. A couple of night hunts for spring hare, civet, porcupine, etc. will also be on the cards!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
It included a Kudu which to me should be the African national animal.

Which African Nation would that be specifically?

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I'd be certain to shoot blesbok, gemsbok, springbok, and black wildebeest as you are not going to see those on your future 21 days DG safari.

Pick up any other unique or semi unique RSA species like steenbok, nyala, or a cape anything.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ive always heard the first safari should be for Plains Game and thats all my buddy is interested in hunting (we're both using the same firm but with seperate PH's). Ive already decided Im going for Dangerous Game in 2013 or 2014.

If the area you're going to has Black Wildebeest, I would definitely take one. That is one critter that is not as common as say impala.

As others have said, to not have Kudu on your list would be a shame. I didn't have an area with Gemsbok and therefore did not get one on my trip. But those long spears and the masked face just screams Africa to me. I saw lots of warthogs on my trip but no true trophy level boar. If you see one, I'd take it without hesitation.

A few others I'd consider and why:

1. Impala - tons of them but they are frequently found in large groups making a stalk a challenge

2. Nyala - not many PG species prettier than these

3. Bushbuck - just my one time experience but we could never quite get on one before it would bolt. I initially did not have this on my list, but it will be next time.

4. Little 'lopes - as those have said, they're pretty and would make for a somewhat less expensive full body mount that in my opinion are a great complement to the big guys

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
As Will said, shoot animals that can only be found in the area you are going. Don't be hung up on animals that you think you have to shoot.

This will not be your last trip to the Dark Continent.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Personally I prefer to hunt what is natural to the area I am hunting. If were going to the Eastern Cape I would hunt the natural species to the area. Cape Bushbuck, Cape Kudu, Oribi, the Springboks, Black Wildebest, Blue Duiker etc.. If I were hunting Zululand #1 one my list would be Nyala, Red Duiker, Suni. Pick your game based upon the area you are hunting.

DOJ,

Very good advice! Also the best way to ensure economy of the trip: Those animals that naturally occur in any area are invariably sold at lower trophy fees than the same species in another area where it was artificially introduced!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The kill fee for extra trophies isn't all that significant compared to the total cost of your hunt (airfare, daily rate, hotels before/after, shopping, and shipping for your trophies.) In fact, the more you shoot the less the fractional cost per trophy. Also, some outfits will discount second or third trophies of the same species, or even comp you an animal or two if you're taking a lot of game. After all, they're in business to sell you animals, so the more you buy the better off they are.

Bottom line: Whatever additional trophies you take on your plains game hunt won't cost you significantly and won't likely make the difference in your ability to pay for that future DG hunt. Besides, you might get run over by a bus between now and 2014, so make the most of your upcoming PG hunt.

Oh yes, trying for a kudu is a must. Black Wildebeests have (to my eye) much more impressive horns that Blues and can only be taken in S.Africa and Namibia in native habitat, so get one while you're there. Beyond that, you'll find targets of opportunity, perhaps including impala, gemsbok, red hartebeest, and others. Take what appeals to you.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
What area or areas in SA will you be hunting?

I went nuts on my first PG hunt, as of course I was never going to get back. Lots of trophy fees and lots of mounts. I would do it slightly differently.

As with others, I like the idea of hunting the game that is native to a certain region. Also consider "non-trophy" animals and pictures for the game that you don't wish to pay to have mounted (which should be arriving just about the time you are ready to go on your next trip!).

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or you could pay lotsa money to a game farm and kill Sable and Roan in places they never existed....you know, like most Gemsbok and Nyala hunts now...

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Take all the PG you can afford, concentrating on the most expensive (they will never be cheaper) and ensure they are indigenous to the region you're hunting v. imported, and thus non-indigenous. If hunting in the East Cape, concentrate on the indigenous species located there, as you will not find them elsewhere.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote