New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preventing lost or "lost" trophies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard more than a story or two about someone who ended up with the wrong horns or no horns from a successful African hunting trip. I have even heard of one fellow who caught a fellow hunter in camp switching horns to get himself a better trophy.

How can I arrange that this sort of thing doesn't happen?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Going on a hunt where you are the only hunter in camp is one method to avoid switching by another hunter. Using a taxidermist with a solid reputation is another.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also carefully photograph each head from several angles and have the PH help you do it, then tell him and the safari co. manager that you did that "in case" trophies get mixed up so that it will be easy to sort them out again. Most mixups are completely unintentional, but it seems there are some mixups coming out of RSA from time to time which may be due to ill intent. It is the latter which your photo session may prevent.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Henry,
About the only foolproof way I can think of is to use an engraving pencil to etch your name on each horn, skull, and tusk, and to use a permanent marker on the underside of the capes and hides.
Take a DETAILED inventory of the items that belong in your shipment, get the PH to sign off on it PRIOR to leaving camp.
Then, when you receive notice that your trophies are at the taxidermist (in Africa), FAX them a copy of the list so they can verify everything is there and properly tagged. Confirm this again when the taxidermist notifies you that your trophies are ready for shipment.
Once the trophies arrive in the U.S., check the contents of the crate against your list. If correct, make sure you repeat the process with your local taxidermist. Then, provide him with some field photos so he can further assure himself that he is working on the correct trophy.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Easy, book with a good company.

one of us
posted Hide Post
henry C470:

One thing you can do is check on your trophies every day while you are in camp. The natives sometimes get trophies mixed up and put the wrong name tags on. Also, make sure they understand what you want with the cape. Will it be a shoulder mount, full mount or skull mount etc.. For example, on shoulder mounts, be sure they do not cut the hide up the throat. Don't assume they know what you want, use someone who can speak their language. So, keep your eyes on the trophies and be sure they are properly marked.
rslus

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a South African taxidermist send me the wrong kudu horns apparently they shrunk from 47" to 33" in shipping and he also "lost" a Zebra skin.

Since he's made no effort to fix the problem I'd have to say that it was intentional.

I use hide tags with locking steel bands with my name and number on an attatched tag. I also go and personally watch these being attached.

Oh and watch out for those South African Taxidermists.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry,

As Shikari pointed out just book with a reputable safari company and don't worry about the small details. If you book the cheapest hunt you will get the cheapest experience in all respects.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DITTO

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Contrary to Surestrike, I got great service from a taxidermist in South Africa. They are Lifeform Taxidermy and have a web site at www.lifeform.co.za It may be that all taxidermists screw up at some point but my limited experience with this firm was quite satisfactory.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote