New
Find
Notify
Tools

Affidavit for More Than 7 Impalas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My lastest shipment of animals is about ready to be shipped. I have been informed that I will probably need to provide an affidavit that they are for personal use since I have more than 7 impala in the shipment. Has anyone else ever run into this? And is there anywhere I can get a form without having to use a lawyer?

Just looking for the easiest, affordable way to take care of this and make sure everything is in proper form since it is the USF&W I will be dealing with.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
just get a notary public to stamp the letter , i get mine done at my bank they dont charge anything ..its a pretty regular thing to be asked ...

keep the letter simple and to the point ..

this letter serves to confirm that i will be importing seven impala trophies for my personal use . they will not be for resale .

etc etc

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ivan

I thought it maybe something I could just have a notary sign and stamp but was not sure. I was also not sure what all it needed to say, as the USF&W can be a pain on somethings.

I did a search on the internet for affidavits and all kind of things came up for all kinds of scenerios just not what I was looking for.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
An affidavit is not the same thing as having a signature notarized. Not sure exactly what they want here, perhaps they can tell you.

Edit: You can have a notary attest to the affidavit, but the form of the document is different from just something with a notary block for the signature.

DISCLAIMER: Not giving any legal advice here, just cautioning that more may be needed.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Talk to the broker who will be clearing the shipment , they will know what to do.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Likely something like this:

State of Georgia]
County of ______]

Before me, a Notary Public for said county and said state appeared David Culpepper, who first being sworn to tell the truth, deposed and testified as follows:

My name is David Culpepper. I am over the age of 19 years. I am a resident of ____ County, Georgia. I have personal knowledge of the matters averred herein.

I took a hunting safari in _______, ____. The safari took place in the Country of _______. While on safari, I shot, among other things, seven (7) impala. I am in the process of importing those seven (7) impala into the United States. I give this affidavit for the sole purpose of facilitating their importation.

The purpose of my safari was purely personal recreation and was not a commercial endeavor. The purpose of importing the seven (7) impala is purely personal and non-commercial. I wish to have the Impala for what they are, my personal hunting trophies.

Further the affiant sayeth naught.

________________[seal]
David Culpepper

Sworn and subscribed to before me on the ___ day of March, 2010.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Will

That is probably exactly what they will want. My broker is not even sure they will ask for it or not but I just wanted to be prepared. I guess you can tell I am pretty legally naive.

Good Hunting,

One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
Dave:

Just be sure to keep them for personal use. If you ever decide to get rid of them there could be a problem with offering them for sale.

Mike

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If they're ordinary aouthern or east African (etc) impala why do you need to prove they're for your own collection?

They're not a CITES listed species so you should be able to sell them if you want to.

Sounds to me like Big Brother, (probably in the form of those tossers at USF&WS) is sticking his nose in where he has no right to stick it.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
If they're ordinary aouthern or east African (etc) impala why do you need to prove they're for your own collection?

They're not a CITES listed species so you should be able to sell them if you want to.

Sounds to me like Big Brother, (probably in the form of those tossers at USF&WS) is sticking his nose in where he has no right to stick it.

I believe there may be licensing requirements for people in the commercial import-export business.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Charles,

Thanks..... it really suprises me that there are companies that can make a profit out of commercially import such things as impala trophies.

I wouldn't have thought there's enough of a market for that kind of thing at all, least of all a market willing to pay the price they must command by the time shipping costs and a decent profit margin is added.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Importing and Exporting Your Commercial Wildlife Shipment

quote:
In most cases, you must be licensed with us and pay user fees for each shipment.

Again, not giving legal advice, just pointing out some information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told that if you have more than 7 impala in your shipment the USF&W think they are for commerical use, which you need a importor's license. I have 12 impala in my shipment because I was leopard hunting, unsuccessfully, and these were the bait animals I took and decided to have the skulls and horns sent back.

Good Hunting,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David - Why not consider checking with the guys on the Adventures Abroad TV show? They shoot more Impala than anyone I have ever seen, heard or read about!! Smiler Surely they must know what to do with them all?

Seriously, Ivan has the right idea. Good luck.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote