THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    I leave for a tax deductible anti-poaching safari with DAPU in one week.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I leave for a tax deductible anti-poaching safari with DAPU in one week.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was heading to Zimbabwe anyway for a short canoe safari on the Zambezi river in Mana Pools with Natureway Safaris (recommended by Buzz Charlton) and came up with this idea.

I emailed CM Safaris and began a conversation with Myles and suggested that a good way to help fund their Dande Anti-Poaching Unit (DAPU) would be to let guys like me go out on patrol with them. The daily rate or sponsor rate in this case suggested (in this case, but it may change) by Myles would be $ 225 a day to be payable to Conservation Force disignating DAPU as the beneficiary thus qualifying as a 100% tax deductible charitable contribution.

I will not be in a hunting camp, but am bringing a backpack and sleeping bag as I expect to spend every night out in the bush sleeping on the ground. I will be eating sadza for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Myles is lending me his 416 to carry. It will be true 100% volunteer expereience which is why I am going to write off 100% of my sponsorship fee as a charitable deduction. I will also take a partial expense for my travel, but not all of it as I am also going on the canoe safari and then on to join Victor Watson of Wild Karoo Safaris in the Eastern Cape for a RSA plains game hunt where I can sleep in a comfy bed, take long hot showers and eat gourmet food. I am sure I will ready for a good brai by the time I get there.

Someone from CM Safaris (probably Bongo) is going to pick me up by boat at Chikwenya Lodge Harbor and then we will motor up the gorge to Dande. I don't know what really to expect except a very reasonably priced new adventure out in the bush where the wild things are. If this works out, then it could be used as a fund raising model by DAPU and others.

I will let you all know how things turn out in the hunt report section when I get back. I probably won't get around to posting it until the second week of June.

I have been a CPA preparing taxes for thirty years so don't give me any lectures about the legitimacy of writing this off.

Cheers,

Mike "Guns" Core

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice idea Mike...
It's great to pass along excellent knowledge like this.
I'd love to see an IRS goon try and figure out what DAPU means and try and dispute it with you...i bet that would be a fun conversation..

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great adventure for a good cause. Maybe this the the way to get to roam some of these places. I don`t care about tax deduction, but would love to go on a trip like that Smiler

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
So, why are you carrying the "416." Is it to protect against animals or to kill poachers with?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good fun on the face of it, but don't be under any misconception. While they spend most of their time patrolling as a deterrent and searching out illegal snares you will have to be prepared to be shot at and shoot back. These guys don't play games and neither do the poachers they encounter.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
So, why are you carrying the "416." Is it to protect against animals or to kill poachers with?

Only for self defense and only if absolutely necessary for either animals for humans.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
I was heading to Zimbabwe anyway for a short canoe safari on the Zambezi river in Mana Pools with Natureway Safaris (recommended by Buzz Charlton) and came up with this idea.

I emailed CM Safaris and began a conversation with Myles and suggested that a good way to help fund their Dande Anti-Poaching Unit (DAPU) would be to let guys like me go out on patrol with them. The daily rate or sponsor rate in this case suggested (in this case, but it may change) by Myles would be $ 225 a day to be payable to Conservation Force disignating DAPU as the beneficiary thus qualifying as a 100% tax deductible charitable contribution.

I will not be in a hunting camp, but am bringing a backpack and sleeping bag as I expect to spend every night out in the bush sleeping on the ground. I will be eating sadza for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Myles is lending me his 416 to carry. It will be true 100% volunteer expereience which is why I am going to write off 100% of my sponsorship fee as a charitable deduction. I will also take a partial expense for my travel, but not all of it as I am also going on the canoe safari and then on to join Victor Watson of Wild Karoo Safaris in the Eastern Cape for a RSA plains game hunt where I can sleep in a comfy bed, take long hot showers and eat gourmet food. I am sure I will ready for a good brai by the time I get there.

Someone from CM Safaris (probably Bongo) is going to pick me up by boat at Chikwenya Lodge Harbor and then we will motor up the gorge to Dande. I don't know what really to expect except a very reasonably priced new adventure out in the bush where the wild things are. If this works out, then it could be used as a fund raising model by DAPU and others.

I will let you all know how things turn out in the hunt report section when I get back. I probably won't get around to posting it until the second week of June.

I have been a CPA preparing taxes for thirty years so don't give me any lectures about the legitimacy of writing this off.

Cheers,

Mike "Guns" Core

Fantastic idea.

Wish you all the best.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Mike, I absolutely love this!

Oh, and I'm in SoCal. I could use a CPA like you. Smiler

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Let me know how it works out both on both ends. That sounds great!

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your time in Zimbabwe Mike, we'll see you soon

Victor Watson

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 405 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better be wary about the legalities in your "adventure".

If you are unsure on what I am referring to, feel free to PM me.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great thing to do, regardless of tax considerations. Back in 1986 I proposed to take my troops to Kenya for six months anti-poaching patrols and it made it a surprisingly long way up the military food chain before someone sensible put an end to the idea.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike the CPA !

Love your idea and hopefully gives you a true bush safari experience. Say hello to Myles from me Smiler

Soory to say we do not have that tax system over here Frowner

Regards
Morten the CPA from Norway !

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Standing by to learn more about this type of outing.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome idea!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Is DAPU a 501c3 organization recognized in the US?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how many poachers can you harvest on this hunt?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
how many poachers can you harvest on this hunt?

And if you harvest a poacher, what is the trophy fee, is it exportable and how long do you have to stay in jail?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if you harvest a poacher, what is the trophy fee, is it exportable and how long do you have to stay in jail?

Some people need to think long and hard before embarking on such dubious adventures. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fujotupu- Mike is coming to join DAPU doing patrols picking up snares. They are not actively seeking out Ele poachers!!!! They will be based in ward 11 patrolling from a spike camp towards the villagers. Mike we are indeed looking forward to having you! Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Fujotupu- Mike is coming to join DAPU doing patrols picking up snares. They are not actively seeking out Ele poachers!!!! They will be based in ward 11 patrolling from a spike camp towards the villagers. Mike we are indeed looking forward to having you! Cheers Buzz

Happy days Buzz!

Not sure what Zim immigration laws are like regarding outsiders (foreigners/tourists) "joining" in a registered entity (DAPU) to actively participate in anti-poaching activities which are not solely restricted to picking up snares.

Your guest has already said it quite openly and couldn't have been clearer in stating, and I quote: "Myles is lending me his 416 to carry" and Grumulkin, tongue in cheek appropriately posted: "So, why are you carrying the "416." Is it to protect against animals or to kill poachers with?"

I never said don't do it, just give it some serious thought; but hey, do what you like and if there's contact (there's always that possibility) and someone gets hurt or more than hurt, then all will be just fine.