THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Where to go for eland and waterbuck?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go for eland and waterbuck?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last March, I hunted the Gras Ranch in Namibia for a variety of PG. I killed kudu, gemsbok, zebra, red hartebeest, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, warthog, springbok and others. It was my first African hunt and I really enjoyed myself. Everything and everyone was great. They do offer both eland and waterbuck but both appear to be on the pricey side. I'd love to hunt with Errol again but am wondering if Gras is the place to go for eland and waterbuck. Any suggestions?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
There are a gazillion places in RSA that will have Common Waterbuck and Cape Eland and others in Namibia.

For a little more money (on average) you could jump up into Zim and hunt Common Waterbuck and Livingstone's Eland in the Save. There you would likely have encounters with several members of the big 5. You would also encounter some species that you'd not had the opportunity to hunt in Namibia. Depending on where you went, these might include: nyala (very ltd quota), duiker, grysbok, klipspringer, bushbuck, bushpig, hyena, baboon, etc.

My $.02.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I echo Will's comments. The Save produces big herds of Eland........many nice. The Waterbuck are plentiful as well. I was fortunate to take a 31+ heavy horned bull last summer. I hunted with Brooklands;I believe Will hunted with Zambezi, both fine choices. Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe's lowveldt with someone like Roger Whittall safaris or Mbalabala safaris.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheap is where the animals are plentiful. I know where Waterbuck are cheap and plentiful; I also know where Eland are cheap and plentiful; I just don't know a place where both are cheap and plentiful. That's because these two species don't naturally thrive in the same habitat. Waterbuck like riverine bush, decent rainfall areas; Eland like semi-arid areas although they are found in some strange places like up in the foothills of the Drakensberg and to some extent in the lowveld as well. So I suggest you don't try to combine the two of them, unless you are willing to pay a premium on one of them. Usually, when you find them together, one or both is "introduced" and that means you pay. Here's a thought: for this trip, take your Waterbuck and a Bushbuck, I can put you in an A+ location for these species. Here you will also find plenty of Impala (not on your Namibia list) as well as Klipspringer and Baboons. You may luck into an Eland but I can't promise that, they are not super plentiful. Then, next trip, Eland and Leopard. Another A+ hunt, trophy quality is tops.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't miss in Coutada 10 Mozambique either with Saaiman Safaris or Bahati Adventures. Literally herds of waterbuck bulls with many over 30 up to 34 or 35 inches. They have big eland, as well, but in limited numbers.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Plenty of places throughout southern Africa and you could also add the Tuli block Botswana to the list.

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
+1 for Roger Whittall Safaris. His Humani area on the Save is full of Waterbuck and Eland. Its an amazing place to hunt. Im going in July next year.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 704 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Another good option if you want to Safari in "wild" Africa is www.kambakosafaris.com

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
In 2006 I got very good eland and waterbuck in Matetsi Unit 2 (not too far from Victoria Falls).

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like Namibia, and want to go back, here is an outfit that has pretty reasonable TFs on waterbuk and eland.

http://www.huntatrophy.com/pricing.html

I want to stress that I have not hunted with them. You would need to do a search, and check references.

Also, Tholo safaris, in Botswana have reasonable trophy fees on both. They are represented by both Wendell Reich, and Mark Young, here on AR. Just suggestions.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northern Cameroon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nuanesti ranch in the Zimbabwe Lowveld. I had a concession there in 2003 and was plenty of both. I dont know who hunt there now. Maybe Nixon?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Northern Cameroon

I wondered when someone would play the Lord Derby Eland and Sing Sing Waterbuck card.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where to go for eland and waterbuck?

With me to the Tuli Block in Botswana...

TF's:

Waterbuck - $1,700
Eland - $1,500

30,000 acres, tented camp, good food, good company and excellent trophy quality.

Regards,

Chris

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt , The Save Valley Conservancy is one of your best choies. Waterbuck and Eland are common and reach good sizes. You would also be able to look at Nyala, Sable, Bushbuck etc. There are a number of properties that would offer these. Shangaan Hunters, Forever African Safaris, Roger Whittal Safaris, Mokore Safaris, etc...All have web sites and are extremely good operators and PHs. Let me know if you have any other questions

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.AfricanBarefootSafaris.co.za

Reon von Tonden has some great properties to hunt in Limpopo Province in RSA.
I got a nice Waterbuck with him last month, and (regretfully) passed on a Big Eland the last night at hunting lodge. Lots of game on the place we started at.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Has the Tuli Block opened for waterbuck? A friend has several properties along the Limpopo and the last time I visited there (in 2002), I was told waterbuck and klipspringer were protected. I assumed the closure included the entire Tuli Block.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Waterbuck have been on the menu again for at least 5 years or so and probably a fair bit more.... I can't remember how long. Klipspringer are still not legal game though.

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
RSA is probably going to be your best bet for both in the same place. Shiawela in the Limpopo, by far, has some of the biggest Waterbuck I've ever seen. They consistently shoot big bulls over 33", and the last group I took there shot one that was 34.5" in December. Out of 4 hunters in December, 4 waterbuck were taken, all over 30". Large eland are also prevalent in the area.
Good Luck.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Bill,

Waterbuck have been on the menu again for at least 5 years or so and probably a fair bit more.... I can't remember how long. Klipspringer are still not legal game though.

Thanks, Steve:

There should be some really big waterbuck in the Tuli. I saw lots of them in 2002, including a herd of at least a dozen mature bulls and every one was a keeper.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bulldog05
posted Hide Post
Posted 20 May 2010 01:45 Hide Post
RSA is probably going to be your best bet for both in the same place. Shiawela in the Limpopo, by far, has some of the biggest Waterbuck I've ever seen. They consistently shoot big bulls over 33", and the last group I took there shot one that was 34.5" in December. Out of 4 hunters in December, 4 waterbuck were taken, all over 30". Large eland are also prevalent in the area.
Good Luck.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

I second Stephen on the recommendation for Shiawela. Went down there last year and shot a 34 inch Waterbuck, it ended up scoring 83 on the SCI Scale. The amazing thing is that I had passed up atleast 2 shots before that on larger waterbucks because it wasnt on my list at that time. Every day I was down there I saw 28+ inch waterbucks. Great place for large trophy animals and even better hosts, Ken and Jo are great!

Also, saw a couple herds of Eland.

Rick

Posts: 36 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 13 August 2009Reply With Quote