THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tour Krueger before or after a hunt?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tour Krueger before or after a hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking in to booking a hunt in SA in 2018. I've been three times to Zim, but want to take my wife. Focus on plains game only this time. Plan on touring Krueger for about five days. A potential operator has sent me a list of ten+ people who toured Krueger and then hunted afterwards. I am concerned that if we tour first I am not going to enjoy it as much as I will be anticipating the hunt, so I thought we would tour afterwards. I would appreciate hearing from any of you that have toured any of the parks in Africa in conjunction with a hunt and whether you toured before or after (and why you did it that way). Thanks for any advice

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
After.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After, for sure.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
After.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100% agree. After.

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went after the hunt. Stayed with Afton House in between and had my rifles stored with them. They delivered them to me at the airport as I went through Johannesburg on my way home. Steve Turner lined up my travel and the trip to Kruger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After!!

Please seriously consider Pilanesburg NP. Stay at Tschkudu Bush Lodge(sp). You will never forget the place.

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the same thing in a year or two with my family....not to hijack...but who would folks recommend in terms of lodging etc in Kruger?
I like what Dale did...I assume many tour operators pick people up then at JNB?

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have done it both ways. Six of one, half dozen of the other. It is a good way to get over jet lag if you tour first.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I prefer going before. For me it gives me a chance to recover from jet lag and to recover from the swelling in my right knee that always happens on long flights. If I hunted the first full day there would be painful and I would not remember it as well.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I always plan something before the hunt. Gives bags (guns) a chance to catch up if misplaced along the way and me to get over jet lag. Besides, it's fun discussing shot placement with the tour guides and stopping to evaluate horns and bosses as well as practicing spotting game.
After is for laying on the beach and swimming.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
I have done both with my clients. I have also fitted it into the middle of a long hunt. This would be more difficult if the hunting area is further away.
Before seems to help getting over jetlag.
I have just completed one actually. Had a crazy amount of cat sightings. My hunter and his wife are relaxed and rested after 4 days in Kruger.
I like to visit the Northern and central part of Kruger together ( adding the south if more days can be added ). It gives one a wide range of game sightings and in totally different looking areas.
Visiting the Elephant museum in Letaba is a must. It is also a great camp to stay at. The Elephant hall has recently been refurbished and , contrary to what one would expect these days , there is now a written piece up on the wall mentioning the trophy hunting and utilization of Elephants in certain areas as a conservation tool. This was like a breath of fresh air to me.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely after the hunt. And the advice about Pilanesberg is also sound as well. The extinct volcano that makes up much of the park is beautiful. And there's Madikwe close by too.

Kruger has the name, and it is an outstanding park, but there's just something about sealed roads and speed traps that doesn't meld with the African bush.

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
Definitely after the hunt. And the advice about Pilanesberg is also sound as well. The extinct volcano that makes up much of the park is beautiful. And there's Madikwe close by too.

Kruger has the name, and it is an outstanding park, but there's just something about sealed roads and speed traps that doesn't meld with the African bush.

well , actually only the main roads leading through the park are sealed. There are hundreds of miles of dirt roads all over the park that can be utilized if that is what one is looking for. The North of the park is quieter with less tourist activity. For me there's something about being in a 5 million acre national park with such a diverse ecology.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I went before. Have a plan for your gun?

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for after. We did that at Hwange and enjoyed it although my 42" sable looked pretty small after seeing a 52" in the park.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went to Hwange after a hunt. It was a good way to relax for a couple of days after a hard hunt.

A friend and I went to Hwange before a hunt. It was his first hunting trip and he was able to see plenty of game prior to hunting. For me it was nice to recover from the jet lag prior to hunting.

Can't go wrong either way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I toured before for the reasons listed above. Get over jet lag and if you have any baggage/rifle issues it gives them a chance to catch up. My first trip to Africa my rifle didn't arrive until the morning of the 3rd day. My Ph's loaner had a horrible trigger..... You also get your eyes "adjusted" to seeing African animals. I would always do the tour first. Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I did Pilanesburg for a day before the hunt. Again a good thing to do to allow time for your luggage to catch up. Saw much more at Dinaka in our 10 day plains game hunt.
We walked Dinaka whenever I was not hunting, Cathy took over 2000 pictures of everything from Klipspringer to Rhino and Hippo.

Kruger is in a different league. Kruger after by all means. There are animals there that you likely won't see in many South African venues.

Posts: 118 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer before. The jet lag, any luggage issues, and "getting my game eyes on" are the reasons. Also, if you have anything going on back at home/office you're more likely to feel pressure to cancel that part of the trip if your hunting is already done. I always build a day in after the hunt to regroup before heading home.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before has the advantages that gotogirl3 says. Kruger, Addo Elephant Park, Mountain Zebra Park, Battlefields, Apartheid Museum. All important.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I did it before and enjoyed that way. We had rifles with us the entire time, locked in their hard case. No issues at all.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
I have done both with my clients. I have also fitted it into the middle of a long hunt. This would be more difficult if the hunting area is further away.
Before seems to help getting over jetlag.
I have just completed one actually. Had a crazy amount of cat sightings. My hunter and his wife are relaxed and rested after 4 days in Kruger.
I like to visit the Northern and central part of Kruger together ( adding the south if more days can be added ). It gives one a wide range of game sightings and in totally different looking areas.
Visiting the Elephant museum in Letaba is a must. It is also a great camp to stay at. The Elephant hall has recently been refurbished and , contrary to what one would expect these days , there is now a written piece up on the wall mentioning the trophy hunting and utilization of Elephants in certain areas as a conservation tool. This was like a breath of fresh air to me.

Agree with you Jan,

The upgrade in the Elephant hall is very well done and a definite must see.

I also like yourself prefer the middle and northern parts of the Park where you could at times drive most of the day on dirt roads and may see 5 other vehicles...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go out to Southern Africa about twice a year and have done it both ways. However I prefer doing the hunt first with the proviso of a day or two of acclimating first for the hunt. Certainly at least stay over the first night at Joburg airport vicinity first night. I prefer City Lodge but ther is also Afton although we had problems with bookings with the changes this year or Skyview. I usually do Kruger once a year. As others have said the central and north are less travelled and less harassment by tours but less animals although rarer species. The rains have resulted in pretty uniform grass mass this year. I like Kruger later because I get up really early and thus more time to acclimate and it's just very relaxing after the hunt especially if you ve got DG hunt on your mind after Kruger. I organize with Gracy travel for Karen Michaelthwaite And Mikey to store my rifles in Joburg when I can drop them off. No need to worry about them checking them for Kruger.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
The plus of going before
- recover from travel
- acclimatise
- get used to spotting game (different colours, light, etc.)
- you'll be on your game when it comes to the expensive hunting days...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm of German origin living in South Africa since 35 years. I was previously employed by the forestry department near Kruger National Park, after that I owned a wine estate with a guesthouse in the Western Cape Province. As a registered tourist guide I will gladly put a program together to suit your needs.
Klaus Schindler, MSc Forestry, Tourist Guide, Member Hermanus Tourism
Mobile: 083 270 3449
eMail: schindler@lando.co.za, schindler@kapstadt.de
http://www.kapstadt.de/schindlers-africa

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before. Baggage issues seem to be almost standard now.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote