Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iraqi Tribute
 Login/Join

posted

This statue currently stands outside the Iraqi palace, now home to the 4th Infantry division. It will eventually be shipped home and put in the memorial museum in Fort Hood, Texas.

The statue was created by an Iraqi artist named Kalat, who for years was forced by Saddam Hussein to make the many hundreds of bronze busts of Saddam that dotted Baghdad.

Kalat was so grateful for the Americans liberation of his country; he melted 3 of the heads of the fallen Saddam and made the statue as a memorial to the American soldiers and their fallen warriors. Kalat worked on this memorial night and day for several months.

To the left of the kneeling soldier is a small Iraqi girl giving the soldier comfort as he mourns the loss of his comrade in arms.

Do you know why we don't hear about this in the news? Because it is heart warming and praise worthy. The media avoids it because it does not have the shock effect that a flashed breast or controversy of politics does. But we can do something about it. We can pass this along to as many people as we can in honor of all our brave military making a difference.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Nickudu

Quote:

Do you know why we don't hear about this in the news? Because it is heart warming and praise worthy. The media avoids it because it does not have the shock effect that a flashed breast or controversy of politics does. But we can do something about it. We can pass this along to as many people as we can in honor of all our brave military making a difference.

Thanks for that ...

I want to say my piece as IMHO the (free world liberal press) are basically a bunch of self serving SOB's with a private agenda that unfortunately in this era of [ Human Rights & Personal Freedoms ] we must ALL put up with .... The secret is what we believe of cource, and that is up to each individual, I certainly know very clearly where my allegiance is.

If the ostriches of this world would wake from their slumber and realise the new world we live in is NOT paradice and fraught with many horrible occurances and dangers then we might get on top of the problem ( terrorists ) BUT alas the silent majority DONT get a lot of publicity and it will be to our peril unless we make these facts known.

Wonderful statue and GBA and all the troops fighting the battle, there are some that have the guts to make a differance and then there are other countries whom will remain nameless ( we know who they are ) that will capitulate ...

Politically Incorrect and proud of it

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for posting these news.
It is almost theatrical :he melted 3 of the heads of the fallen Saddam ...
very touching.History is fluid and sometimes just.In its wake it leaves pain.

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine I was in 1st CAV with, who is now in the 4th ID, was present for the presentation of the statue. According to him there werent very many dry eyes in the place.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hate to say this Nickudu, but this statue was COMISSIONED by the soldiers ie. they paid him to do it. It was not a freebee as some might lead you to believe.
Peter.
PS. Welcome back. I saw a thread earlier that said you had gone!

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sentamentaility aside, Nickudu has it right when he says there should be more positive advertising.

If Bush were running a business all we'd hear is how shit the products are and how much right the other business has to beat him.

In short he would go fucking broke.

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah we should probably get a clue from the politicians in Oz and follow your leader. We all know how happy your gun grabbing storm troopers are. How about if we send you Kerry and you boys can re-enact his fake medal toss and have a big gay pride parade. No squirt guns allowed !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Well, commissioned or not, it's damn nice to see.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Along this line has any one else seen the proposed public statue for the Green Berets ? Apparantly there is not a single statue for public viewing in the US honoring any special forces unit. I believe the statue is of a Green Beret on horseback with the horse on two legs. I know there is some signicicance to the horse being on its hind quarters only. I can't remember if is signifies wounded or dead in the battle.
If the soldiers commissioned this one then they just deserve that much more credit for forking over their hard earned green backs.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote