New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser Question in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well my curiosity finally got the best of me and that plus a great trade convinced me to acquire a Blaser 93 in 7x57. I'm sure some of you guys have taken them to Africa. What serial number do you register? I see the barrels have numbers of their own as well as the receiver which is totally different. I went through a serial number issue at Jo'berg one time and it was a nightmare nearly causing me to miss my plane. What number do you register with US customs? It is a very interesting gun but seems a little over priced. If it shoots as well as advertised with the convenient flexibility I can justify the price.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aholz
posted Hide Post
LJS, I own two receivers and 4 barrels with scopes. I made separate 4457 for each barrel, scopes and both receivers. You may use your 4457 for many years and you never know what combination you are taking hunting to a forein country. I would list both numbers on the temporary importation permit. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
number on receiver, 9 trips never had a issue.
Not a bad idea to have both

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Receiver only. That is the firearm.

I always have to show them where the number is located in any case!

Not once has anyone ever asked about or even looked at a barrel.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The receiver is only the firearm in America. Everyone else uses the number on the barrel.

In most European nations the receiver will not have a serial number.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
P.S. - There is nothing wrong or problematic about getting 4457 U.S. customs forms for the barrels.

Since they have serial nos., it can be done. But I have never gone to the trouble of doing so and have never had a problem.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife took her R 93 on our last trip to Zim overnighting in SA we put the reciever number on the paperwork.

I have both the reciever and the barrel, and the scope numbers on the 4457's.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
I have been to Zim 2X, Namibia 1X, and RSA 2X...I list the receiver and serial number, then the barrel and serial number, and the scope and serial number. I have never had an issue doing it that way.

By the way, my R-93 performed flawlessly on each trip and even when full of Kalahari Desert sand on the rails...no problem culling springbok out to 350 yards! (Try that with a mauser like action.)

Dr. Tim

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Tim Burkhart:
I have been to Zim 2X, Namibia 1X, and RSA 2X...I list the receiver and serial number, then the barrel and serial number, and the scope and serial number. I have never had an issue doing it that way.

By the way, my R-93 performed flawlessly on each trip and even when full of Kalahari Desert sand on the rails...no problem culling springbok out to 350 yards! (Try that with a mauser like action.)

Dr. Tim

Are you serious? I shot the Kalahari in 2005 with a 308 Mauser 98. The R93 is great, and I have owned a few and am in the process of buying another one, but your smoking crack if you think the R93 is as tough as a 98 Mauser.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My Baser doesn't even have a serial No on the reciver..
Must add one Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A year or two ago there were a whole lot of reports going around that the blasers action was blowing up and blaser had a couple of law suites against them.Was that true or false

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
SAPS Form in RSA requires for both Barrel and Receiver Serial #

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe just needs the number on the reciever.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
My Baser doesn't even have a serial No on the reciver..
Must add one Roll Eyes

Adam,

Quit buying that black market gear Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmara:
A year or two ago there were a whole lot of reports going around that the blasers action was blowing up and blaser had a couple of law suites against them.Was that true or false

It was true, but lots of guns are blown up by people shooting pistol powder out of their rifles. The result was something similar. Look at the Sako 75, they had a run of blow ups.