New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lions Of Course!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My friend, client...and fellow lion hunter, Rick Warren and myself had a spectacular lion hunt last September, in a place we were both very lucky to get to experience.

Been awhile since I've posted here on AR...but just thought you all might like to see the pics!

Both are very much wild / free ranging lions...but hoping I still remember how to post pics here on AR?

Hope you're all doing well - Aaron

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
That’s fantastic Aaron!
Glad to see your post and that success

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Great lions Aaron!!! Those are big cats. Fill us all in on the hunt when you have time.

Good to see you back on AR.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Great lions Aaron!!! Those are big cats. Fill us all in on the hunt when you have time.

Good to see you back on AR.

Indeed they are big...literally the 2 biggest wild lions I've ever seen...ever! One weighed in at 551lbs, the other was 593lbs...officially weighed on a scale. I would have never believed it, had I not seen it with my own two eyes

They were 2 brothers...known in the area for several years, and most always ran together from what we were told. The area was crazy full of buffalo, and other game...so obviously they were eating well. We saw on average...100+ buffalo per day, elephants, and a few monster sable, big crocs, hippos and other game too! We desperately both wanted to hunt the buffalo & sable...but we were towards the end of the safari year, and nothing else was still on quota except for the 2 lions we had reserved and an elephant bull. We saw multiple elephant bulls...but nothing over about 50lbs...so we decided to pass! Had we seen a 60lb plus bull...I think Rick would have become and elephant hunter real quickly!

Thanks pal...

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Great lions. Congratulations to the both of you !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Aaron..where?

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you buddy.

Well done on the lions!

Would love to hear about the area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37794 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Brutes! Well done Aaron.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful cats! Looks like the RUM is still getting it done!

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Great to hear from you and great cats. That goes without saying. Would love to know where and with whom. I leave in about a month for a lion hunt in Lukwati.

Posts: 10324 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Terrific lions! Congratulations.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all...it was indeed a great experience set up for Rick by my very long time friend (and Rick's too) Corey Knowlton. We saw some incredible wildlife...a bunch of lions, and had a great time! Many more with Rick to come hopefully...we have a ball!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I leave in about a month for a lion hunt in Lukwati.

Be sure to have some thermal gear with you as it may be rather cold in July.

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
Long time. Missed your posts. congrats on the cats.
Wow!
I doubt there is an active hunter out there that has taken or hunted lions more than you. This should make number 12, 13 or 14?
Hope you continue and hope business in Idaho is good to you.
Welcome back and keep posting.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Aaron,
Long time. Missed your posts. congrats on the cats.
Wow!
I doubt there is an active hunter out there that has taken or hunted lions more than you. This should make number 12, 13 or 14?
Hope you continue and hope business in Idaho is good to you.
Welcome back and keep posting.

I have shot more than these.

But I think my friend Aaron shot more.

At least I hope so.

He is bent on lion hunting.

I hunt them every year and sometimes get lucky.

On at least three occasions I short two on one safari.

Buffalo is my favorite!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68669 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking cats! Thanks for posting Aaron.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, Those are huge/beautuful lions. You must have had a great hunt in a special area. I have never hunted lions. Please post some more hunting details for the wannabe lion hunters like me. What calibre/cartridge and bullets were used?
Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Fulvio. I've never hunted Lukwati this early but expect it may be cold. I used to hunt in sweaters, but used a surplus field jacket in 2021 and it worked nicely. I may take both!

Posts: 10324 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote