New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zim hunt with John Sharp
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just returned from Zim with a great hunt with John Sharp. This was my first trip. I’m not sure where to start. Pics I guess. The 40â€buff was taken at about 60 yards with my 460 weatherby.

This 7’ 3†leopard was taken about 8:00pm. Sitting in a leopard blind at night is something I will always remember. You really have a chance to listen to the African sounds that go on during the night.

My 58†kudu was taken late in the evening. I had one heck of a time trying to pick out the Kudu between the bush and background. I was lucky that this one was in the open.

A word about John Sharp. He always seemed to get me in the right place and at the right time. Talk about a learning curve I went through. WOW- John was fantastic to learn from and hunt with. I’ll post the rest in the hunting reports section. I received a lot of great advice from you all. Thank you!

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Very impressive results. Have any more to say?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! Those are some excellent animals!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Just excellent all the way around. Mr. Sharp has clearly earned his good reputation.

Congratulations.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AKA,

Those are 3 amazing trophies!

Congratulations on a great hunt!

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Can you tell us about both rifles, the ammo used, and how the bullets performed?

Thank you!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Congratulations, those are fantastic trophies!

You did very well. John Sharp's a great PH, and I haven't heard of anyone yet who's had anything but a great safari with him.

John's a man you can trust........

AD

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
AKA: Absolutely great trophies and I'm glad you had a great time with John and I'm sure he'll do it right again for your lion next year.

500gr: I'll let AKA answer you on the rifles used, but you're not gonna be happy...I was though Smiler jorge

PS: For some reason I am unable to see your pics. They all come up with a "x"

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

At least please tell me they were reloads. Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies - glad you had a great trip. John is really a top notch person and his whole operation reflects that.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thank you all for your kind words. I posted a more detailed report in the hunt report section. Jorge you and Allen were right. It was everything I expected and more. 500 grains I did use factory loaded 450 grain Barnes X on the Buff. The bullet lodged in his opposite shoulder!

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. What a way to start your African Experience! Are you ready to go back?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies for sure, congrats...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations excellent photos and trophies, Jhon Sharp is an excellent ph one of the bests,the most important think is hes a natural hunter .Tell us a bit more about your safari and more photos please.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote