THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How do you become an outdoor writer??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you become an outdoor writer??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just had my first hunting artical published in SCI's Safari Magazine called "The Perfect Predator".

Seeing my story in print has got me all fired up, so the question is, "how does one become a gun writer". I would like to submitt more, but which magazines should one send the manuscripts too...all at the same time, or to one at a time and wait for a response? I do know that pictures are very important as well.

How hard is it to get recognised in the business and how big a name do you have to have to become sponsered by people in the industry.

I would like to hear some imput from those of you who have done it, and anyother advice you would be willing to share

Thanks!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have my first article coming out in an upcoming issue of African Hunter so I'm certainly not an expert. I have friends who are excellent writers and one of them recommended a book called "Selling the Outdoor Story" which is edited by Norman Strung. It has chapters by 52 writing professionals on many subjects like including humor, writing good queries, self-publishing and many other good subjects.

I believe it's out of print but you might look for it. I'm learning a lot from it.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
From a reader's point of view, especially those of us who have hunted in Africa for a while. My suggestions is to tell it like it is, and noe make any attempt at stretching every little thing to a breaking point.

There is nothing worse than reading articles in a magazine, written by different people, which the editor turns into a monotonous repeat of his own idea of how the story should be.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read your article and it is pretty good for a first one. I am not a writer but have read thousands of articles over the past 35 years so I know a good one when I read it. First, learn from the mistakes of past writers, like the recent one with Jim Zumbo so you know what NOT to do to end your career quickly. Second, since there are so many writers and so few good publications you need to separate yourself from the rest...stand out from the others and be noticed. After writing half a dozen REAL GOOD articles in well known publications like SCI's Safari, African Hunter and a few others and you stand out as being something a bit different...the sponsors will seek you. One last thing...variety. Make your readers anticipate your next article and not be able to guess what it will be about. Good job so far and don't get discouraged. I'll be looking for the next published story.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Congrats to your first article -the first one is the "ego-maker" Wink Seriously though, if you wnat to get into the business you have to write and send your texts to different publications and don´t allow yourself to become discouraged if every article doesn´t find a recipient.

I´ve written about ten outdoor/gun related articles during the last three years and it ain´t easy getting ahead. You can also forget becoming the next Ruark-Boddington BUT if you do succeed and become a grand name then remember that I´m your buddy!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

congrats on getting published. I remember when I had my first one done. That was over 30 years ago. My writing now makes up nearly 80 percent of my annual income. But...

...to answer (some) of your questions.

DO NOT send manuscripts. What you should do is send a query letter to the editor(s) that gives a brief description of the article and why ACME HUNTING readers really need to read your work. Thoroughly STUDY the mags you wish to query for what kind of stuff they publish. Editors hate getting stuff in that does not fit their model.

In the query letter also tell them when you could deliver the manuscript and if you have art to go along with it.

You probably have dozens of ideas spinning around in your head. Two or three queries per "letter" are fine. Laundry lists are not.

Assuming you have dozens then split them up between between mags. You DO NOT want more than one editor saying they want your story on hunting yeties. Give the editors four to six weeks to respond. If you hear nothing send them a tickler e-mail. If still nothing assume the editor is either not interested or rude and send the query along to another mag.

Do not expect to get rich, get invited on free trips, get free guns/scopes/et cetera for a long time if ever. Many, once you are established and a member of one of the writing orgs, give writer's discounts. (The standard is somewhere around 25-30 percent off retail for goods. In all my time at this I have been invited and taken on one trip (Alaska). I've had other invites but none that would be a slam-dunk sale.

The problem with free trips/gear is that they are free. I have taken some clothing and some ammo. I've been known to partake in the discounts. FREE means you are beholding to someone and you may feel restrained in telling the "whole" story, warts and all.

As for sponsorships. Fine, I guess, if you sell your soul. I personally have a hard time reading stuff by the likes of, well, a lot of folks, that talk about how great and wonderful a rifle is, a flashlight, a set of binos, when I see their face and name plastered all over the ads. The dirty little secret in outdoor writing is well over half of what you read in the mags are about free trips/gear and that cheats the reader. Some are even given bonuses by the product makers for each time they get their product menttioned in a story.

While I may have more disposable income if I was sponsored, and I have been asked, I did not want to be tied to guaranteed ink for the sponsor. To me that set-up means you are just writing a highly narrative press release. (Some of us in the industry call these writers "product whores." What if that super scope got fogged? What if the camp wasn't exactly as advertised?)

Now, if a camp would offer a media rate, like product manufacturers offer discounts, i do not have a problem taking them. That way i figure both the camp owner and i have made an investment. We both hope to make some money. We both also know it is still a risk.

For me a media rate would be one where I cover all my expenses (food/lodging/ license, etc). Tne operators investment is his time, and the number of days he/she is not collecting the profit from another hunter/angler. Oh, and I make sure to tip the staff the normal amounts as they are still working to ensure my trip is a good one.

OK, enough, I need to rip something out today. Good luck and congrats. It is a rather interesting life.

A few other quick thoughts...

DO NOT quit your day job. It took close to 20 years before i was comfortable in what i was bringing in before i went full-time.

As for competition-- well-- there are thousands of "writers" out there that are doing stories for the free stuff and the ego of seeing their by-line only. That's right, they are writing for free. Editors know that they can offer a ridiculouly low pay rate because they know they can always get someone else to do it for less.

Now, do I regret being one of these? Nope. Some months are quite profitable. Others are a struggle.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I write articles because I like to, not because I ever expect to get paid for them. In fact if I did get paid for them, then a hobby would become work and that could destroy some of the enjoyment of the hobby. In my articles I write exactly what happened and what I thought about it. Some potential advertisers have gotten their hackles up when I truthfully reported on the performance of their product(s). One advantage of not getting paid for the articles is that I can say whatever I want (as long as it is factually accurate).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Like Dan, I write for the fun of it. I have written three articles that have been published in Safari (last one in the May/June 2007 issue). I find writing the articles to be a great way to enjoy the hunt all over again. As a lawyer, I spend so much time writing professionally, it is also relaxing to write but about something entertaining. That reminds me, I need to get started on an article about the leopard hunt that I just got back from . . .

All together I have made just over $20 million with my articles -- in Zim dollars -- or US$75. Another 27 articles and I can buy a plane ticket to Africa.

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

Congratulations on your first published article. I well remember my first one, published in the December, 1972 (or was it '73?) issue of Guns & Ammo Magazine. My editor was Howard French. It is wonderful that you are so enthused about continuing to write.

You have asked several very good questions, the proper answers to which would take more space than we heve here. However, I'll attempt to give you a summary. I base my answers on thirty-five years experience in this business, with many hundreds of feature articles published in nationally distributed magazines, along with three books of my own and substantial contributions to several others.

My mentor in the business was the longtime editor of Gun Digest, John T. Amber. For some reason -- I've never figured out what it was -- John took me under his wing and helped me immensely when I was getting started. He published some of my early stuff, and introduced me around to the people I needed to know. He also cautioned me about those that I needed to avoid. I savored his rare praise of my work, and learned more from his application of a size ten booty to my posterior when I needed it. I learned a lot from old John T. I was lucky, in so many ways, to have known him.

There are basically two kinds of writers in the business, the hobbyist and the professional. I'll divide the hobbyist into two categories. The first category is the vanity hobbyist. He does it simply to see his by-line in print. That is payment enough for this type. The second category is one that has a full-time job, but enjoys writing and the supplemental income it brings in, as well as the occasional perks. Finally, there is the professional writer whose job it is to deliver top quality material, of the proper length, on time, and that satisfies the editor. He depends upon his writing income for his living. Most bylines in the outdoor magazines today are from the former category of writers. Professional, full-time writers are rare in the outdoor field.

Pay from outdoor type magazines is generally very poor. There are a few, and I do mean a few, magazines in the field that pays over a thousand dollars for a feature article. The vast majority pay half that or less. That means the pro has to turn out a lot of copy to earn even a modest living. I don't know of a single outdoor writer that became wealthy from his writing income.

500 grains approach is fine. Most of us try to write precisely what happened and what our thoughts are on the events. The problem, if there are negatives involved as I interpret 500 grains response to imply, is getting an editor to publish it. Most of us have learned the hard way not to waste our time writing negatives for publication. They simply won't get published. I handle negatives the only way I can, and that is to contact the manufacturer, if it is a product, or the owner, if it is a service, and give them my honest appraisal. That is the best I can hope to do.

The mechanics of writing for publication are contained in any number of books. Writers Market is one that I've used in the past. There are many others. Check your library or google books on writing. You'll find plenty. These texts will explain the query letter, formats, dos and don'ts, and the like. Nkonka has covered much of this type material in his response.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions that I can help you with. I'd be pleased to do so.

Tom

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Some potential advertisers have gotten their hackles up when I truthfully reported on the performance of their product(s). One advantage of not getting paid for the articles is that I can say whatever I want (as long as it is factually accurate).

Actually Dan, did you know that it is possible for one to be sued for libel (and lose) even if what one writes is absolutely true?
An interesting quirk of the libel laws as they are written.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, thanks to all of you for your advice!!!

Yes, I wrote my story for the fun of it, and to see if I could actually get one published. Now that I did, it's sort of like....hey wait a minute...maybe I'm on to something here....

I have already written a follow-up tp my story, sort of a part two, pictures and all.

Here's the next question. Whi should I send it to?? SCI printed the first, but maybe I should submitt to a bigger magazine, such as Sports Afield, or Hunting, or all of them....What do you guys think???

I want the most bang for my buck!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one accepts any payment at all (say $1) are the costs of the hunt then a business expense?

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wolfgar,

do yourself a favor. Get a copy of Writers market and Writers Digest. Read the sections about contracts, first rights, serial rights, queries. Your questions are good ones but involve way too much for a forum. Entire semesters are taught at Universities about these thngs.

Like queries do not send manuscripts to multiples at the same time. Do not play one mag off another. As soon as you do you will be written off.

dbltap,

sorry, my friend, you need a double shot of something strong. Sure, go ahead and write off everything you can. Wait for the audit (four times in 20 years-- just lucky i guess), and then get ready to pay all those back taxes with penalties. If you do not show a profit after three years from writing/photog/speaking you are toast.

Tax law is something i am certainly not an expert in, but I do know of folks who have tried to do what you are thinking. They are, well, not very happy right now.

If ya can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbltap:
If one accepts any payment at all (say $1) are the costs of the hunt then a business expense?

I like the way you think, but I am afraid the IRS might take a dim view of that practice. If you give it a go though, let me know if it works!

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey it was worth a question!! Big Grin

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I am afraid the IRS might take a dim view of that practice. If you give it a go though, let me know if it works!

Hey, everyone gets 1 phone call.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The next CAPSTICK ????? Just go with your gut despite having a third world income I promise to buy your book dancing

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would say, it would be perfectly safe to deduct $1 off the cost of the hunt.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I've made a very good living for more than 40 years writing and editing opinion columns, articles and books with outdoor themes on a full time basis. The advice on this thread is good so far, but I'd like to add a few more tips:

1. Before you attempt to launch your career, enroll in beginning journalism and English grammar courses at a junior college. One or even three dozen sales do not make a professional writer. Learn how to edit your own material. Learn how to identify good writing (hint: it is not purple prose. It is clear, concise and not contrived.) It should be no surprise that Jack O'Connor and Craig Boddington were English majors. My majors were in other fields, but I served an apprenticeship as an daily newspaper's outdoor writer under several excellent editors who screamed loudly at each misuse of words and punctuation.

2. Realize that a gun writer and a "hunting writer are seldom the same person. They are two separate genres. Both are "outdoor writers," but so are fishing writers. boating writers, knife writers, and hiking writers.

3. Do not get into the trade because you want "freebies." You will be disappointed.

4. Study what the magazines you've targeted are buying and publishing. Outdoor Life, for example, has firearms editors on payroll, and is unlikely to buy a gun-test article from a freelancer. Ask for a "style sheet" so you will write numbers and spell certain words exactly as the magazine's editors do. If the magazine is buying only 3,000-word articles, don't submit 10,000 words. Ask for photo guidelines, too. if the magazine does not accept prints or digital files, don't waste your time submitting them.

5. Edit, edit, edit! When writing, I "talk" into my computer and try to get my story written as quickly as possible. I then put it away for three or four days before launching the editing process, the toughest part of writing. I'll cut and paste and rearrange things, and delete or add whole sections. After that, I print hard copies and do more editing. It always surprises me how many typing and grammatical errors escape me when I edit only on the screen.

6. As for potential income tax deductions, you may operate a freelance writing business at a loss for a year or two, but the IRS soon will declare what you do to be a hobby if you don't earn more than you spend. Acceptable deductions, according to my accountant, are tools of my trade (computers and a reasonable amount of sporting equipment are "tools" but they must be depreciated over a number of years), travel costs, 1/2 of meal costs when away from home, even guide fees and tips. Don't expect to get the IRS to buy you a new double rifle in .416 Rigby if the only articles you sell are about hunting white-tailed deer.

7. Don't quit your day job until you are earning whatever you feel is a "living" from your freelance sales.

Good luck.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I write articles because I like to, not because I ever expect to get paid for them. In fact if I did get paid for them, then a hobby would become work and that could destroy some of the enjoyment of the hobby. In my articles I write exactly what happened and what I thought about it. Some potential advertisers have gotten their hackles up when I truthfully reported on the performance of their product(s). One advantage of not getting paid for the articles is that I can say whatever I want (as long as it is factually accurate).

500 grains:

I am not a lawyer, but I have sold literally millions of words, including several miles of opinion columns, and have never been sued. As I understand it, truth is the absolute defense against libel charges. Absence of malise also is a defense. Even so, a libel lawsuit can be filed against you even though a) you were not paid, b) you have no grudges against anyone or the product, c) you have no apparent reason to benefit by what you've written, d) and you have written the truth as you see it. Whether or not you'll win or lose is something else.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
Pay attention to what Bill Quimby has said, he has penned quite a few words.

1.) Pay is low for a freelancer. If you can get $200-$400 for an article, then you've hit the jackpot. Figure your cost per hour and it will quickly become apparent that this is not a high dollar business.

2.) Photos are very important. You'll need to understand a little about lighting and marcro photography with a ring flash. Study the photos in your favorite magazines, and you'll see a pattern of composition. If you do a piece on, let's say the .308 Winchester and light bullets. You'll need a photo of the rifle(s) used to test the loads, a macro of the bullets next to their box, one of the powders used and of the brass, or a combo thereof. A field photo of the results is desired.

3.) Research well and tell the truth! If your article has errors or fabricated data, your name will be mud.

4.) If you are a rank amateur, (that is not a crime, by the way) you could have a local high school English teacher proof your draft for mangled grammar and structure. For example, they can lookforthingssuchasrunonesentenceswhicharemissingpunctuationandaretoowordy.

5.) Do you really have anything useful to say, or do you just want to be in print? I had a few things published more than ten years ago, and haven't written since. It takes me forever to put my thoughts cohesively in print. It might take be 15-20 hours to do 3000 words and set up the photos. Then I have to edit it. I'd rather spend my time in the woods or at the range.

6.) Spel chekker iz a gut thang. Yuz it.

7.) Forget IRS deductions unless you can prove you're making a profit. You can write off your printer cartridges, but that's about it until your established as a bona fide scribe. That deduction for your Weatherby Orion will not pass an audit.

8.) If you enjoy writing, have something interesting to say that is not SSDD, then go for it. Good luck.

(P.S. Hemmingway and Ruark were newspapermen at the start. That gave them the training to employ brevity.)

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Don't trust a high school English teacher or spell check software. Publications have their own styles and ways of spelling things, and nothing will get a submission returned faster than ignoring these so-called "little things."

"Cross hairs," for example, are two words in dictionaries and most general-interest magazines. In most hunting and firearms magazines, it is one word. Some publications spell out all numbers below 100; others use figures after ten. Some want serial commas (one, two, and three) and some do not (one, two and three). Some want abreviations (fps), some do not (feet per second). Some will spell out in first reference, then use abreviations after that. Some want writers to follow the "Chicago" style; others want the Associated Press style, or modications thereof.

As for high school teachers, many are not far from being functionally illiterate. My wife was secretary for a school system's superintendent for more than twenty years, and you will not believe the stuff she brought home that "educators" wrote. It could made a damned funny book.

Writing professionally is a craft that takes a considerable training and a dash of talent. Of the two, training is more important. Too many would-be writers have neither.

Bill Quimby