New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance for Canadians
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys I am headed to Zim for a Leopard and buff hunt in August and wanted to know what the Canadians out there have done in the past for insurance? I imagine Alberta Health Care card doesn't cover getting taken care of if I am in Zim and I get trampled by a buff!!
What other type of insurance do you recomend?

Also what agency do you guys think is the best bang for the buck
Medjet
Global rescue
Travel Guard
CSA travel protection.
I know nothing about any of this as you can tell and don't know anything about these companies.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nube
I've used Travel Guard as it also has trip cancelation as part of the coverage.
Don't know about CSA, but Medjet & Global Rescue have good reputations as well.
Thankfully, I've never needed to use mine to find out how good or bad it is. But it sure is a comfort to have.
GOOD LUCK & GOOD HUNTING

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have simple travel insurance through AMA, was hurt in Italy and they covered (eventually) all extra costs.
Never been gored by a buff yet, so can't comment on that.
Dave

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, there is no insurance for Canucks!!! Wink God help me if any of my far North friends see this.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nube,

I used Global Rescue. Check the fine print from MediJet, cuz there is something about having to get to the nearest hospital or landing strip with them....I could be wrong. Also, GR will evacuate you on account of political uprise or that sort of thing, like if you were in a Tunisia when all hell broke loose. They actually evacuated foreigners from there and Libya. Global Rescue is about $350/yr or something like that. Be careful, cuz some companies don't cater to Canadians, but they are usually upfront about it.

I also called my insurance broker about gun insurance and that type of thing. All cancellation insurance was done with RBC Bank through my travel agent.

Luckily never had to use any, so can't say how well it worked....

Trip cancellation was the most expensive at about $1800.00. I insured the cost of my daily rates and it was for a 16 day elephant, buff, plains game hunt. The amount of insurance is obviously proportional to the cost of the hunt...

Posts: 164 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be careful, cuz some companies don't cater to Canadians, but they are usually upfront about it.

Whats wrong with Canadians?

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
quote:
Be careful, cuz some companies don't cater to Canadians, but they are usually upfront about it.

Nothing, of course! Its not that they didn't want to help, its just that their service was only set up for american clients at the time. Probably something to do with their underwriters , but i cannot be sure....Not saying they would take our money and run....

Posts: 164 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
quote:

What's wrong is our money is too colorfull and it makes people laugh!!! lol

AS stated I think a lot of things are there for U.S clients and people are not used to having a Canadian thrown into the mix. Dealing with that right now with the company I booked through. They sent me forms to fill out for my hunt and one was a cities permit for my leopard that was U.S forms and I also was asked to fill out some firearms forms that were U.S forms that I had no idea about. It was no big deal and once I mentioned it we moved on but it shows people just expect that most people will be U.S citizens and so they cater to that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought Travel Insurance from my Bank, and thankfully didn't have to use it.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Nube
Please send me an e-mail John@wolverinesupplies.com I have some info that your US booking agent may be unaware of whick is very relevent to us Canadians.

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
John@wolverinesupplies.com

Pm on it's way. Thanks very much

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used Medjet and Blue Cross combo.
In Southern Africa Medjet does evacuation, even Canadians.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote