New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra species
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many distinct species of Zebra are found currently and where can they be hunted?

I have taken the Mountain in Namibia and Burchells in Zim, was wondering what's left!

I guess in some countries one can find more than one species as well. Do these interbreed?

Mountain Zebras

Closer image of the Stallion on the left showing the Adams apple.

Burchells Zebra

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I( don't know anything about the types of zebras and would like to know the difference between them I have a hunt planeed in June and have 2 kinds of zebra there and wonder if one is better to shoot than the other?
Thanks

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, there is no legal hunting of the somewhat scarce Grevy's.

The plains zebra varies considerably in appearance from place to place. Namibian plains zebras have a shadow stripe of grey overlaying the white stripes, while East African plains zebras are more distinctly black and white.

The Hartmann is huntable in Southern Africa. The Cape Mountain varies a little in appearance from the Hartmann and is huntable in a more restricted area.

Although it is considered that there are basically three separate species, I'm not sure that it is true that interbreeding cannnot produce fertile offspring; rather that interbreeding is uncommon due to each species occupying different geography and having differing social structures that limit or eliminate interbreeding under naturally occuring conditions.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Grevy's Zebra
Cape or Hartmann's Mountain

Burchells Zebra

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my dear friend REDDY375 wants to carpet his new trophy room in zebra skins clap

Hey how about sharing some pics of your trophy room thumb

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote