Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Greetings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted
For all the members in Northen Climes. I had to get a little warthog for Christmas lunch. I did think of all the snow and cold, well just a little. The temperature on the tops was in the mid thirties [c]. Down in the valley it was in the upper thirties and at one time it was 41 degs c. The warthog sows are farrowing now so I could only go for a young boar.
A moment of madness triggered by the heat found me stamping on the ground above pig holes. After a few attempts one hole produced a series of growls. After a few moments of some further stamping, a sow came out of the hole. She was growling a lot, snapping her jaws and shovelling ground and dust with her nose. Judging by her swollen udders, she had recently dropped her piglets.
As I was standing behind her, she did not see me. After a few moments of warning the world, she started reversing back into her hole, she turned her head and saw me. In a flash she was after me. The thought of having to dig up a litter of piglets and having to bottle feed them for the next couple of months gave me the impetus to cut and run, rather than shoot her. My luck was that she still had to run around after exiting her tunnel and runway. My luck was further enhanced by me jumping over another hole which the sow in her eagerness to get to grips with me, did not see and fell into. She stood for quite a time on top of the heap, throwing ground into the air and snapping her jaws.
After that little adrenaline rush I went off and found a young boar which provided an entertaining stalk before a 300gr Nosler switced the lights off.

Valley Bushveld, looking towards the Fish River and not a trace of snow anywhere

More Valley Bushveld

This little fellow was out and about.

Heading for lunch on Saturday, not as big as Aubs458 last hunt but he will be a little bit more tender.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
And a Merry Christmas to you and yours. Thanks for the Christmas comedy hunt report.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Have a good one mate. beer

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas from Sweden

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
My Christmases were always yellow -- southern Ethiopia. Actually I had two each year, the Orthodox calendar being observed nationally along with our December 25 traditions. No warthogs, though...

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas,

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas to all and hope you guys see snow.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Merry Christmas to all and hope you guys see snow.

Mike

SNOW?? Maybe June/July/August! No thanks, just happy in a pair of shorts. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote