New
Find
Notify
Tools

250gn Swift A-Frame in 9.3x62?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For my wife's 9.3x62 as a general or all around Africa load will the Swift A-Frame 250gn be a good choice?

The 300gn A-Frame seems a bit heavier than needed for an all around load.

Not for Buff of course.

She will have a 250-3000 for the real small stuff.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good all-arounder for anybody... of course it depends on exactly what and where you are hunting.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever heard of an A-Frame not doing what it is designed to do when you get the b.c. up to .265 or better? They are great bullets!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
I used the 250 Nosler BT for everything including lion and found it to be an effective killer. I don't think she will be disadvantaged an iota with the Swift 250gr. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
250 Swift A Frame is the bullet I've used for all my 9.3x62 hunting here and in Africa.

Never has failed to perform exactly as advertised.

Good choice. Plus you don't need to load it to super magnum velocities. It'll do it's job at moderate speeds.

Good luck.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me, especially for the ladies..I have used the 250 gr. Barnes X or was it GS Customs and they worked great..I also like the Nosler 286 gr.

Personally,I am not a Swift bullet fan as they tend to ball up and are very smooth even though they always expand perfectly but I have seen smaller game run too far and leave little blood as a result of this. I prefer a bullet that has those ragged wings sticking out and acts like a buzzsaw such as the Woodlieghs normally do.

Our tracker (Twiga I think) found a perfectly expanded .375 Swift bullet in a ball of grissel under the off side skin, in my biggest buffalo ( on my web page ). It had gone through both lungs and the lungs had healed and he was fat and healthy, probably a two or three year old wound..I am not saying this would not have happened with any bullet, just that it did happen. It was quite amazing IMO and I have only heard of this on one other ocassion and that was on an elk with a 30-06 by Elmer Keith. It too was contained in a ball of grissle on the offside shoulder and showed healed scar tissue through both lungs as I recall. Sometimes the stamina and the healing properties of nature is outstanding.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I found the Swift bullet to be quite accurate in my 9.3x 62. Never took any game with it.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have a 9.3 but wish I did. Anyway, I have found the A Frame to be extremely effective on the limited amount of African game I've taken in both 7mm Rem and .375.

Doesn't do too well on whitetail, though. Seems to blow right through like a solid if little or no bone is hit.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray completely on this one. The A frame does stay together and it does penetrate but so will most solids. That is not IDEAL in my mind. I want a bullet that shreds stuff while going through tissue and an A frame will not do that.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am confused. Isn't the A frame similar to the Nosler Partition? Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a partition bullet with both the tip and shank portions bonded. It doesn't shed metal like the Nolser Partition does.

Shot a buff with one, 300 gr. 375. Broke the right shoulder, through the ribcage on both sides and got the lungs and heart. Found it just under the skin on the left side. Weighed 292 grains and expanded to .71. The buff dropped within fifty yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking only as a "B" grade ballistician who is dong a lot of work with the 9,3x62 lately, shooting a modern 250 grain bullet such as the 250 grain Swift A-Frame in the 9,3x62is a match made in Heaven.

The A-Frame jacket tends to be a bit sticky (for good reasons). They also tend to be quite accurate for a complex hunting bullet. If your bore fouls easily (My 416 Rem Mag certainly does so), you can: A. Ignore it for the duration of the trip, or B. Bring a can of Wipe out and Wipe out accelerator (If possible on your airline).

Modern 250 grain bullets have allowed the 9,3x62 to acheive its full potential as an "all around" rifle. Use 286 or 300 Grain bullets for close work.

JMHO, YMMV, FWIW, That is what the nuns told me in school, etc.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I haven't used the A frame 9.3X62 250gr in Africa I have used the North Forks 250gr and taken a bunch of Plains Game with that combination. It killed as good as anything out there and I see no reason to doubt that the effectiveness of the A frame would be it's equal. I would have no reservations about using that combo.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
jetdrvr,

I have recovered Swifts in 375, 416, and 458 caliber and the lead behind the partition is not bonded. Just the front core.

(The rear core always migrates forward, and the heavier the bullet the more it does so. this is what gives recovered Swifts its "beer barrel" appearance).

Still a very good bullet in my opinion.

I have shot the 250 grain 375 at velocities up to 3050 fps and it still holds together. The 366 caliber 250 grain has a bit more SD and should do as well or better.

With a stout bullet like NF, TBBC, Swift, if you shoot for a shoulder joint or hip you will get bone fragments and increase effectiveness since it does not fragment otherwise.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do the Swift 250gn bullets compare to the 250gn Woodleighs?

Are the Woodleighs a lot softer then the Swifts?

Do the Woodleighs penatrate about the same?

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just so we are all on the same page about the bullets in question. The partition and the A frame are similar but not the same. The partition is intended to shed the front lead and leave ballistic projectiles to work on soft tissue. The jacket, free of some of the lead is like a blender blade while rotating. There are very sharp edges rotating about. The bonded A frame jacket and core split in pedals and fold around. The edges cause the bullet to ball up and there is little of the sharp edge to work in the tissue. I think the A frame will tend to shed less weight and penetrate somewhat more. The way it does it is less efficient in my opinion. I have used both on numerous big game. In my experience the doesn't do as much damage as the Partition. Neither is as good on big game as the FN or NF offerings.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:
jetdrvr,

I have recovered Swifts in 375, 416, and 458 caliber and the lead behind the partition is not bonded. Just the front core.

(The rear core always migrates forward, and the heavier the bullet the more it does so. this is what gives recovered Swifts its "beer barrel" appearance).

Still a very good bullet in my opinion.

I have shot the 250 grain 375 at velocities up to 3050 fps and it still holds together. The 366 caliber 250 grain has a bit more SD and should do as well or better.

With a stout bullet like NF, TBBC, Swift, if you shoot for a shoulder joint or hip you will get bone fragments and increase effectiveness since it does not fragment otherwise.

Andy

Learn somethin' new every day. I know that the shank migrates forward, (or the forward portion migrates aft), but I figgered the lead was bonded to the copper there also. I know it's one tough bullet and very effective. Buff & PG bullet for TZ in '09.

And I was looking forward to the NF offerings, but they aren't offered any more.

All I know is that I have had numerous one shot kills with the A Frame on African game. Can't speak for the NP, because I have never used it on large game, unless you consider whitetail large game, where it is very effective. Killed two this season with the NP.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:
How do the Swift 250gn bullets compare to the 250gn Woodleighs?

Are the Woodleighs a lot softer then the Swifts?

Do the Woodleighs penatrate about the same?

Allen

The Swifts are more solid and out penetrate the Woodleighs but the Woodleighs create a wider wound channel with more shards and greater mushrooming.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one so far has mentioned the sterling performance of the 250 gr Barnes-X and the newer TSX.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the X bullets are OK if they do what they are supposed to do. I used some Older X bullets on my second safari. They were the 350 gr. for 404 Jeffery. I also had 400 gr X bullets as well. I was using the 350gr fro plains game when we came upon the second buff. No time to change rounds. First round hit properly on right shoulder and the next three went Texas style. When we found the bull, the shoulder shot was a pass through the wound channel was very poor. What killed the buff was the heart shot trough the heart. Had there been no follow up shot possible the buff would have gotten away I am sure.

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indlovu:
It is stated by many that the cutting edges of barnes X or Woodleigh bullets exert a buzz-saw action as they pass through animal tissue; this seems unlikely to me, because a bullet travelling @2000fps takes just .00005 sec to traverse a foot of animal tissue; At a nominal 30,000 rpm, this means it executes only 1.5 revolutions per foot of tissue traversed. No "buzz saw effect" seems likely.

I have to admit though that the Nosler partition bullets seem to penetrate more than the Accubond of the same weight, even though the retained weight is much less. I have noted complete pass through eland on a broadside shot behind the shoulder with a 260 gr NP, whereas a 260 gr Accubond was found under the skin of the off side in a gemsbok. Anyone else with the same experience re partition vs bonded soft points?
I wonder if this is due to the fact that after the front half of the NP bullet is wiped off, the remaining base forms a flat meplat solid which is shoulder stabilized and penetrates well because of supercavitiation etc?

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think any bullet such as the Woodleigh that has those long ragged arms (petals)sticking out, will grab vessels, veins, arterys and cut them and in general tear hell out of everything, and I have been digging bullets for years, have boxes of recovered bullets and my office is lined with them...

As too Noslers blowing off the front end, thats old hat for the most part..The new Nosler with the partition moved forward will not tend to do that with a heavy for caliber bullet and in the light for caliber bullets when they do, they blow the lead out and the frontal lead destroys a lot of stuff in there, the rear section is much larger and the petals peal back as opposed to fragmenting like the older Nosler, thus they end up in an nice expansion much like any pretty expanded bullet but sans the lead portion. They work really well.

The Swift balls up into a smooth round perfectly expanded ball and does not have this effect, The Sirocco does get ragged. I talked to Swift some years back and they told me the Sirocco was coming out because of this complaint..The Swifts do work well on Buffalo and the very large animals, but I have seen so many plainsgame run too far and leave too little blood with them that they are suspect in my opinion..I agree with LB404 on this subject 100%...Also a small number of game shot successfully or unsuccessfully does not tell the story on any bullet, several thousand head is a better denomenator, and that takes years of use by thousands of folks. The cream will then come to the top and if the bullet is still around after that many years, its a good one. I can think of a lot of bullets that went by the wayside over the years. Of the older bullets only Nosler and Woodleigh are still around for dangerous game, speaks well for them.

That said, if a bullet works for you then by all means use them until the fail, then switch. Thats what hunters have been doing for years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2006 I took plains game from Kudu/Wildebeest size down to a Bushbuck with my 9.3x62 with 286gr Partitions loaded to about 2475 fps. Longest shot was on the Kudu at 250 yds. The combo worked perfectly. I typically find the Partitions to be more accurate in MY RIFLES. That being said, I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the suggestions here.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 250 grain Northforks at 2500 fps on my last trip. Duiker to eland. perfect! I also think the 250 grain is ideal for plains game.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them in my 9.3x62. They were instantly extremely accurate (one ragged hole) under a max load of IMR 3031. Cop

Shot one at a bull calf moose. Front on at 100yards, calf could only stagger before dropping on the spot. Bullet didn't exit. Might just have been a fluke but dropping stressed moose is pretty rare. I'll be using it again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For my wife's 9.3x62 as a general or all around Africa load will the Swift A-Frame 250gn be a good choice?

Excellent choice for antelope in this caliber and a bullet that is not prone to fragmentation with controlled expansion whilst retaining 95% plus of its weight.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote